Colds That Last Forever Here

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

What the heck is with these long lasting colds? I almost never catch colds while back in the US, but almost every time we arrive in the Philippines, I seem to catch a cold within a week or so, and this year it is a doozie, since it just does not want to go away. One of my friends here has had the cold from before we got here this year and still seems to have it. He asked me to bring cold meds, so I did, and thankfully I brought some for myself and my wife as well. My advice would be that if you are coming this year, then you might want to bring some cold meds that work for you too since I have never had a cold that lasted more than a day or so during the last 20 plus years of my life, but this one is going on over a week, and now my wife caught it from me, and then gave it right back to me SugarwareZ-034.gif. and she never catches colds at all.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
What the heck is with these long lasting colds? I almost never catch colds while back in the US, but almost every time we arrive in the Philippines, I seem to catch a cold within a week or so, and this year it is a doozie, since it just does not want to go away. One of my friends here has had the cold from before we got here this year and still seems to have it. He asked me to bring cold meds, so I did, and thankfully I brought some for myself and my wife as well. My advice would be that if you are coming this year, then you might want to bring some cold meds that work for you too since I have never had a cold that lasted more than a day or so during the last 20 plus years of my life, but this one is going on over a week, and now my wife caught it from me, and then gave it right back to me SugarwareZ-034.gif. and she never catches colds at all.
Sorry to hear you guys are both sick.Germs and bacteria we are not used to then mix in all that polluted air and generally unclean conditions it is no surprise that colds and flu are common for us visitors. About every other visit I get a bad cold with sore throat, and I never get a sore throat here in the States. Could it be the taxi drivers pass it to us? It seems they are often sick.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Sorry to hear you guys are both sick.Germs and bacteria we are not used to then mix in all that polluted air and generally unclean conditions it is no surprise that colds and flu are common for us visitors. About every other visit I get a bad cold with sore throat, and I never get a sore throat here in the States. Could it be the taxi drivers pass it to us? It seems they are often sick.
The taxi drivers and the passengers seem to always be sick, so I guess it spreads around that way, as well as I might have caught it from my friend, but why the heck is it staying so long?

softail
Posted
Posted

For some reason it never fails, I end up with a lot of chest congestion when I visit. I also end up spending quite a bit of time sitting on the pot as well. I have always figured that there are a lot of germs around that I have not built up an defense for. Doug and Sally

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The taxi drivers and the passengers seem to always be sick, so I guess it spreads around that way, as well as I might have caught it from my friend, but why the heck is it staying so long?
Its always been my understanding without researching it that a cold or flu is a 3 week cycle,one week for full symptoms to appear, one week of it and one week as it passes.The one or 2 day colds are probably more of a sinus problem than a cold.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Mt first trip there I caught a pretty bad cold also.  I thought it was from running the a/c on high coupled with the thin blankets in my hotel room...it started with a sore throat when I woke up one morning.   Since then I always brought cold meds with me when I visit.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

My wife seems to catch a cold constantly about every other month! Me, I usually catch the flu from my wife when she has it once a year! I think my wife has allergies, but she never got tested to be certain. I seldom catch colds unless I forget to turn off the electric that is directed at me when I fall asleep during my afternoon naps and without a t-shirt, but I usually take my long naps late in the afternoon daily in our air conditioned master bedroom and stay up late in the evenings until morning around 2 am watching TV or just browsing on the internet! And we haven't taken any flu shots in 10 years! Anyway, do flu shots really work?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
My wife seems to catch a cold constantly about every other month! Me, I usually catch the flu from my wife when she has it once a year! I think my wife has allergies, but she never got tested to be certain. I seldom catch colds unless I forget to turn off the electric that is directed at me when I fall asleep during my afternoon naps and without a t-shirt, but I usually take my long naps late in the afternoon daily in our air conditioned master bedroom and stay up late in the evenings until morning around 2 am watching TV or just browsing on the internet! And we haven't taken any flu shots in 10 years! Anyway, do flu shots really work?
I don’t know for sure Art. I hardly ever get the flu but my children give me a cold several times a year. My wife seems to have a cold often but she is always holding the kids. My doctor says the flu shots are worthwhile and I get them free at work so why not. I also get a Pneumonia vaccination once every five years or so?

• 1 month later...
Mavrick
Posted
Posted (edited)

Check that Air con I live in Texas with heat & humidity.I have take that unit(window unit) out wash it clean filters.It does start black mold growth inside the air cond.It can cause colds and flu.A summer cold is nothing to sneeze at.LOL

Edited by Mavrick

4thDan
Posted
Posted

Going in and out of AC will not be a good thing if you are prone to colds here....ergo..we don't even have one...getting used to the environ is much easier on the body....But..re: colds that hang on...if you don't go outside much and allow your body to manufacture Vitamin D ....you might find that supplementing your daily intake will be very helpful....it's suggested that one should take something in the range of 6,000 to 8,000 IUD of Vit D. DAILY......yes thousands......it's a tip i received from a med head in the midwest where we don't see the sun much from September til the next June...and it knocked out the "continual cold" thing quite well. A lot of folks seem to avoid going out in the sun here...thus they don't let their bodies make the one vitamin that we can make for free (approx 20 mins exposure to the sun {bare armed or so} is sufficient generally)...so if you are an indoor during sun shine hours.....try that...it works like a charm for me...