Ways To Reduce Our Living Costs

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Necessity is the Mother of InventionThere is NO shaving cream sold anywhere in the entire province of Biliran. I know this because I love a nice clean, close shave so much that I spent $80 in Hong Kong to buy a first class Fusion razor with a year's supply of blades. . . but I did not buy enough shave cream and there is NO shave cream sold in the province I am living in.So I searched for an alternative and at the same time found a way to reduce my cost of living. Shave cream is a little bit expensive but soap used as a lather leaves me with many small cuts and nicks. So I mixed up some hair shampoo, (for lather), and hair conditioner, (for lubrication and to soften the whiskers). Then I tried to find a product to add to it to make it a bit thicker and to stretch it out so it lasts longer. I am looking for some kind of cheap thickener. Any ideas? I tried using cheap body lotion which does stretch it out to give more value for the peso but doesn't thicken it.PS. You'll need a trusty shave brush to lather this concoction up and spread it on your face but it does a decent job.
Don't know how I missed this one before... Thought I'd click on the advertising on the main page... Hehe!Look to the left and see that head? It knows a bit about shaving and it hasn't felt shaving cream for - ok, 2 weeks ago because it was a gift... but usually I just use cheap hand lotion from the dollar stores! You don't want one too thick or it clogs the razor. And you want to wash well with hot water to soften your beard until you get used to using this stuff. But it's cheap, it's easy and gives me a closer shave than shaving cream while still protecting me from nicks and cuts! And the girls love it cause it keeps my skin baby soft! :mocking: Hope this helps!

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Here in Perth where I live we are completely off the water supply and so have rainwater tanks. 2 @ 130,000 litres (34,000 US Gallon) to supply the house. The rainwater is used for everything including drinking and no one has gotten sick from it. In a city situation, a small house designed rainwater tank would be adequate for drinking water. As it rains in Phili way more than here, it would be constantly getting refreshed, unlike my situation where the rainwater tanks aren't replenished for several months in the year. Just use a grille of sorts to keep the mozzies out
Hey Wandi, you go telling a Filipino that you drink rainwater and they'll think you're from outa space. " No no no you can't do that, it is dirty!" You and me know better, i've been drinkin the stuff for years and it's never done me any harm.................well not that i've noticed.What i do notice is the terrible taste of town water if that's all i have to drink. Edited by Bundy

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm still in Australia and also trying the DIY approach a lot more lately.When I moved into this place I rent they put a brand new stove in. I have to get it cleaned up for when I move out soon before I travel. But over time the white enamel has built up stains on top by the elements etc as is normal. I have been trying a mixture of Baking Powder & Vinegar. I put it in a spray bottle and spray it over the stove. I then drop a little Jiff over it too and let is soak over night. It seems to get a lot of it off after wiping it off. I will have to give it a couple of more sprays though to get it like new. I don't like to use Oven cleaner as it smells very toxic.

Edited by Adventurer