City Or Province

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Have been chatting with Joy as to where to live. Like most I'm into a simple life...had enough crap elsewhere. Mentioned to her about living in the province ...for cost reasons also...she's not keen on the idea. Fears, for example, the distance from major hospitals in case of emergency like me having a heart attack and dying before reaching a hospital.Any thoughts from those living in either locations?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes! The solution is, live in a modern clean and quiet subdivision in the suburbs that's centrally located to everything! We did and we've been living here 10 yrs now and still loving it! It's as close to western living as it gets! We've tried living in the city and in the province! Didn't like it, because of the noisy farm animals, hate those roosters, barking dogs in the province and vehicle noise and smog in the city! Modern subdivisions in the suburbs are more peaceful and safe, but it depends on where one lives in the Philippines! click on the link below where we live: http://www.google.co...iw=1260&bih=664

Edited by Art2ro

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Have been chatting with Joy as to where to live. Like most I'm into a simple life...had enough crap elsewhere. Mentioned to her about living in the province ...for cost reasons also...she's not keen on the idea. Fears, for example, the distance from major hospitals in case of emergency like me having a heart attack and dying before reaching a hospital.Any thoughts from those living in either locations?
To me being close by hospitals is very important because a simple thing like a bite from one of the weird critters here, or a serious fall, or other medical issue could end up costing us our life unnecessarily, but at the same time we have to think of costs of living, so possibly find a happy medium somewhere if at all possible and have some important items on hand. I have a number of medical issue which I am dealing with, so I take precautions such as carrying an epipen with us at all times and one by my bedside because I am highly allergic to many things which cause an Angioedema reaction in my body. Next would be to have nitroglycerin just in case of a heart attack, or feeling like one is coming on. Other things to have on hand are band aids and a blood clot agent such as styptic powder, but we can never prepare for all possible problems, so live as close to medical help as possible is my thoughts and have those items, yet others never even concern themselves with possibles, and they are probably better off than I am because they do not worry about those things.
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Fears can sometimes be overcome by education. What I am getting at is to have Joy enroll in a first aid course so she will know what to do if you are living in the province and having a heart attack. (This assumes you want to do that and her fear is the stumbling block.)

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I think you should live where you are confortable, if you feel you need to be close to hospital than live there, i live in the province because i like farm animals, we have pigs, chickens , goats, barking dogs hahaha, i lived in the country for 15 yrs before comming to the Phil, i was as far from the hospital as i am now, i don't worry about that, but i understand if you have medical issues, it is cheaper to live in the province, if you live more like the fillipinos, i have to go thru a subdivision to get to our land, my neighbors are my family, and i enjoy the country, but there are some nice homes in the subdivision, they have a little of both, western style homes in the province.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I prefer the province because of the closeness of people and slower pace of life. I like allowing my kids to run around the street in front of our house, and everyone knows them and helps us watch them. I like having different neighbors to sit down and have a drink with on the street in front of their house, different nights or afternoons of the week. I like animals. I like the ease of sleeping early, and waking up early. Those early sleeping patterns are healthier than what I do in cities. Slow internet ain't the best. Brown outs suck. But ultimately, living in the province was my first time ever to experience a sense of community like that. It was easier for me since I'm a foreigner, to hang out with different groups. I think the local Filipinos still had that small town divided, where this end is better than that end, and this group doesn't like that group. But as the resident foreigner, if you're friendly, you will LOVE the sense of community. At least I did. My other American friend loved the small town of Julita as much as I did. He went to the cock derby everyday. I played ball everyday or went swimming, weather permitting. The other American in town people didn't like, and he didn't like them either. He stayed home watching cable TV, or burnt DVDs, smoking in the same house as his newborn baby. I could tell he didn't understand life there, or want to understand it. He just wanted to scoop up his bride and head back to the States ASAP. People didn't like him. If not for the smallness of the town and the need to "stick together and support each other" among foreigners, I don't think I would like him either.

Edited by ekimswish

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Yes! The solution is, live in a modern clean and quiet subdivision in the suburbs that's centrally located to everything! We did and we've been living here 10 yrs now and still loving it! It's as close to western living as it gets! We've tried living in the city and in the province! Didn't like it, because of the noisy farm animals, hate those roosters, barking dogs in the province and vehicle noise and smog in the city! Modern subdivisions in the suburbs are more peaceful and safe, but it depends on where one lives in the Philippines! click on the link below where we live: http://www.google.co...iw=1260&bih=664
Exactly. :lol:

Jake
Posted
Posted
I prefer the province because of the closeness of people and slower pace of life. I like allowing my kids to run around the street in front of our house, and everyone knows them and helps us watch them. I like having different neighbors to sit down and have a drink with on the street in front of their house, different nights or afternoons of the week. I like animals. I like the ease of sleeping early, and waking up early. Those early sleeping patterns are healthier than what I do in cities. Slow internet ain't the best. Brown outs suck. But ultimately, living in the province was my first time ever to experience a sense of community like that. It was easier for me since I'm a foreigner, to hang out with different groups. I think the local Filipinos still had that small town divided, where this end is better than that end, and this group doesn't like that group. But as the resident foreigner, if you're friendly, you will LOVE the sense of community. At least I did. My other American friend loved the small town of Julita as much as I did. He went to the cock derby everyday. I played ball everyday or went swimming, weather permitting. The other American in town people didn't like, and he didn't like them either. He stayed home watching cable TV, or burnt DVDs, smoking in the same house as his newborn baby. I could tell he didn't understand life there, or want to understand it. He just wanted to scoop up his bride and head back to the States ASAP. People didn't like him. If not for the smallness of the town and the need to "stick together and support each other" among foreigners, I don't think I would like him either.
I believe you're the only foreigner that lives in a nipa hut. A very nice one at that! As for me, I'm too spoiled to live out in the boonies. Too many "white ladies"......he, he. Like Art, I prefer suburban living, close to all the nice conveniences. My wife is from Batangas City, another hour's drive south from where Art lives. A banca boat ride south of Batangas is Puerto Galera, Mindoro with pristine diving spots, cold beer and hot women to look at using my binoculars.....he, he.Have a good one my friend -- Jake

chelseajohn
Posted
Posted

They are two different ways of life I have a place in Cebu and another in the provinces I did not worry about health as i had never needed a hospital or been illI was in the provinces when i had a pain in my gut 7am went to the local hospital burst appendix ,,,, phonecall to a surgeon and i was opperated on at 9 am I know the hospitals in Cebu and Manilla would have better conditions BUT Provincial hospitals have compitant doctors also OBVIOUSLY if you have daily medical needs then feel safe and live near a big hospital but there are good doctors and surgeons in the provices

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
They are two different ways of life I have a place in Cebu and another in the provinces I did not worry about health as i had never needed a hospital or been illI was in the provinces when i had a pain in my gut 7am went to the local hospital burst appendix ,,,, phonecall to a surgeon and i was opperated on at 9 am I know the hospitals in Cebu and Manilla would have better conditions BUT Provincial hospitals have compitant doctors also OBVIOUSLY if you have daily medical needs then feel safe and live near a big hospital but there are good doctors and surgeons in the provices
Good to know you are OK now, and thank you for reporting your experiences with a provincial hospital.