How Would One Check To See If A Car Was Flooded?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

In the US they have a company called Carfax which gives us a complete history of that car, if it had been in a flood such as the big one in Manila, or a car accident and put back together, so I wonder if there is anything like that here? or is it just buyer beware?The reason I ask is because a number of people have recently asked me to try to locate a vehicle for them, so how would I know if the vehicle had been one of those washed away in those Manila floods?Having never bought a vehicle here, does the title at least say where the vehicle has been? Or where it was brought in from? Does anyone know what info is provided when a vehicle is bought from a dealer?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I bought my old 1979 Toyota Corolla, the previous owner was honest enough to give all the details concerning it's history and even had a highway patrol stolen car report which was recovered! Since my car showed the signs of rust everywhere, because I know my car was in a flood, I was in the car when the flood water came in! I eventually got "Little Red" completely restored in and out, that was back in 1999! And she's still with me and running! post-682-0-29099500-1300787661_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-87811200-1300787913_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-02004000-1300789457_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-32950100-1300789595_thumb.jpgpost-682-0-84644500-1300789743_thumb.jpgSo, if one is to buy a used vehicle, it's best to take it to a reputable auto repair shop and have them inspect the vehicle inside and out for signs that it was in a flood!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Where I am working at the moment, we have dealt with 2 vehicles recently that were driven through flood waters. One needed a new motor and the other needed the motor rebuilt.If a car has had water flowing through it, there should be obvious damage or at the very least, staining of the interior.So, if the motor is running quite normally and there is no flood damage, I would not be worried about it being involved in a flood. Regards: Jim

• 2 months later...
piglett
Posted
Posted
Where I am working at the moment, we have dealt with 2 vehicles recently that were driven through flood waters. One needed a new motor and the other needed the motor rebuilt.If a car has had water flowing through it, there should be obvious damage or at the very least, staining of the interior.So, if the motor is running quite normally and there is no flood damage, I would not be worried about it being involved in a flood. Regards: Jim
if the vehicle is older & running a carberator then there is much less worryhowever newer vehicles normally starting in about 1987 are fuel injectedso they have a bunch more stuff to get wet & corrodemany times a flood car will be ok for 6 months to a year then the big problems starti myself would pass on the flood carspiglett

• 3 months later...
Andreas
Posted
Posted

There is no way to be 100% sure telling a car has been flooded recently...If you are not sure about the "flood history" leave the object of desire where it is,look for a better offer^^ The most common problems are coming in the "electronic departement" ,corosion here and there in theconnectors....a source for trouble in the future..the only help would be a complete new wiring,relays and control units..that mostly will be more expensive than the value of the car !! There as an easy way to check a car for recent flooding : remove a door-panel and see the reverse side for some kind of water-marks,in 99% of all cases there are "dirt lines" looking a bit like a watermark that tells you exactly how deep the car has been in the water ;) another hint may be the strong smell of way to much "odor killers",the seller has something to hide ! I am in the car buissines since 25 years,and a good professional cleaning-job will do miracles on the interieur,so you won`t seeanything suspect @ the first look;)

• Like 2

Braddo
Posted
Posted

If it smells like wet underpants then it has a good chance of being very wet at some stage Unless it is a taxi you are buying that smells that way all the time :mocking:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
If it smells like wet underpants then it has a good chance of being very wet at some stage Unless it is a taxi you are buying that smells that way all the time :mocking:
Or if its in the river when you come to inspect it :)

Andreas
Posted
Posted

*LOOOOOL* wet underpants :cheers:))))) that`s what i was talking about "way to much odor killer" you brought it straight to the point^^

piglett
Posted
Posted

you mite be lucky & find a water line on the door post or in the trunkbut yes a really good cleaning can hide a lot but not the wet dog smell pig

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
you mite be lucky & find a water line on the door post or in the trunkbut yes a really good cleaning can hide a lot but not the wet dog smell pig
When I bought my old 1979 Toyota Corolla, I could see daylight through the floor boards like in Flintstones cartoons! :unsure: