Many People Must Be Afraid Of Mindanao

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
why is that all women I ask about Mindanao they avoid to answer? Is there FEAR among the locals to talk about what happened?
Many of the people from outside of Mindanao seem to think that everyone who lives there is a Muslim. My wife and I travel around and when she says she is from Mindanao, the question that follows is always the same "are you a Muslim" so that must be the view of many outside the region. Also it seems that many people from Tagalog regions seem to look down on those from the Visayas, why I do not know, and it is not all, but definitely many from my personal experiences. Even when in the US and we go to a party, the Tagalogs end up in a corner with the Tagalogs and the Visayans end up in a group with their own. Part of it I am sure is language, and part of it I am pretty sure is because the national language is Filipino so those from the north probably do not like anyone who is not speaking what is recognized as the national language. Sorry no easy answer for you but I have found that educated people from the south can live anywhere in the Philippines and get along because they are taught the national language in schools, whereas people from the north cannot understand Visayan and maybe that makes them uncomfortable. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule and anyone who is self confident can live anywhere and get along.

Gary
Posted
Posted
M16 ?? wt-hell.gif
Machine guns seem to be the norm in Mindanao, I have even seen bank guards with Thomson cut down .45 machine guns and M16's.
I would love to have one of them Thompson .45 (Chicago Typewriter) its one of the best guns ever made. But the licensens for it is a federal one and the price here is about $25000.00 for a fully automatic gun. :)

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I first visited Davao in 1986. Unknowingly i arrived just a few days after the government had sent the troops in to reclaim the city from communist rebels who slaughtered everyone in city hall. At that time bombs were exploding in picture theatres, churches, malls, and even the airport was attacked while i was there!Not a nice place to be during those days. I had since returned and although now peaceful it is still just not a place where i would like to live.I had travelled out through Tagum and out to Davao Oriental and to be honest don't want to go back. I believe Davao City is quite safe these days as i have a mate who goes there to stay with his extended family and he says it's no problem at all.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
why is that all women I ask about Mindanao they avoid to answer? Is there FEAR among the locals to talk about what happened?
What you have to realize is that there is a war going on in many parts of Mindanao, I think the massacre you are most likely talking about is just another part of it.From my experience many Filipina's dont know much about other parts of their own country except for any bad things they may read or get past on to them on the grape vine.An example of this is a Filipina friend said to me not long ago that you have to be careful with women from Mindanao as they are dangerous if they get angry but I think anyone can be like that.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the answers.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted
What you have to realize is that there is a war going on in many parts of Mindanao, I think the massacre you are most likely talking about is just another part of it.
This is the one I was talking about:http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=av1lrsG7L39Y&pos=9on youtube the videos are available but it's quite strong content so if you don't like blood, don't watch these videos:http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maguindanao&aq=0

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maguindanao_massacre

Even before the Maguindanao massacre, the CPJ had labeled the Philippines the second most dangerous country for journalists, second only to Iraq
SugarwareZ-034.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
http://en.wikipedia....ndanao_massacre
Even before the Maguindanao massacre, the CPJ had labeled the Philippines the second most dangerous country for journalists, second only to Iraq
SugarwareZ-034.gif
I am happy to see you are doing your homework before your visit, but please do not confuse yourself with areas in the ARMM with the rest of Mindanao. There are many areas in many countries that are not safe to walk around, or safe to be a foreigner in. The Philippines is still back in time, so eventually they will catch up. If a person stays in larger cities, at least until they know their way around, then they will be OK IMHO. Not to pick on anyone but New people stand out like a sore thumb, if I can point them out, then surely the locals can too.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

No reason for anyone to be afraid of Mindanao, just stay out of the troubled area.