Taxis Ask You To Pay A $5 "traffic" Surcharge

Mavrick
Posted
Posted

Taxis ask you to pay a $5 "traffic" surcharge.A friend of mine told me he had to pay a $5 "traffic" surcharge every time he took a taxi when he married his overthere wife is this true?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Taxis ask you to pay a $5 "traffic" surcharge.A friend of mine told me he had to pay a $5 "traffic" surcharge every time he took a taxi when he married his overthere wife is this true?
Never heard of it in Cebu,five dollars or 5 peso?

RetiredNavyGuy
Posted
Posted

Never heard of it in Cebu either...although I have noticed the meters seem to adjust for traffic delays automatically. The same ride, the same route, will cost me more on the meter when the traffic is heavy and moving slow.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

The taxi meter charges P3.5 every two minutes waiting time. IE when stuck in traffic So, there is no need at all to agree to any extra because of heavy traffic as you already have to pay.However, I can imagine some taxi drivers trying it on.Regards: Jim

United Army
Posted
Posted

I never heard of this either, and if I was asked to pay this traffic surcharge I would not, I just pay what is on the meter. And a small tip sometimes...

• 1 month later...
piglett
Posted
Posted
I never heard of this either, and if I was asked to pay this traffic surcharge I would not, I just pay what is on the meter. And a small tip sometimes...
NOPE not me, if the driver asks for extra money i pay what is on the meter & i exit the cab ......no tip eitheri'm just not playing that gamepiglett

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
NOPE not me, if the driver asks for extra money i pay what is on the meter & i exit the cab ......no tip eitheri'm just not playing that gamepiglett
without seeming to attack the poster. have you ever been to RP? taken a taxi in RP? do you know how much the drivers make/earn each day??when they see a "whitee" they know they can ask for more, When your a FOP( fresh off the plane/boat) they will try to ask more for what the exact fare is.. what has worked for me & sure for others. (simpletons not included)is , know what the fare is before. thats if you have been to that location before,, 2. negotiate with him. if he says METER PLUS 100. reply,, back plus 50. then give NO TIP, how ever if he is taking you to an OUT OF THE WAY AREA. yes give what he asks. . since he would not have a fare to return. also KNOW where your going.. spend 300/350 for a MAPQUEST so you know where your at. MOST non natives do have the extra money to buy one, if you dont then download a map copy from the internet ,, PROMISE YOU that it can be a LIFE SAVER. thats unless you dont have the ability to download a map or purchase. GOOD LUCK..also may i note the topic was started by a person who has stated he has NOT YET BEEN to the RP. as we know we always hear alot of unsubstantiated rules/stories/ etc etc..

piglett
Posted
Posted (edited)
without seeming to attack the poster. have you ever been to RP? taken a taxi in RP? do you know how much the drivers make/earn each day??when they see a "whitee" they know they can ask for more, When your a FOP( fresh off the plane/boat) they will try to ask more for what the exact fare is.. what has worked for me & sure for others. (simpletons not included)is , know what the fare is before. thats if you have been to that location before,, 2. negotiate with him. if he says METER PLUS 100. reply,, back plus 50. then give NO TIP, how ever if he is taking you to an OUT OF THE WAY AREA. yes give what he asks. .since he would not have a fare to return. also KNOW where your going.. spend 300/350 for a MAPQUEST so you know where your at. MOST non natives do have the extra money to buy one, if you dont then download a map copy from the internet ,, PROMISE YOU that it can be a LIFE SAVER. thats unless you dont have the ability to download a map or purchase. GOOD LUCK..also may i note the topic was started by a person who has stated he has NOT YET BEEN to the RP. as we know we always hear alot of unsubstantiated rules/stories/ etc etc..
have i been , i sure have have a look at my pictires on photobuckethttp://s927.photobuc...17/piglett2195/the point i was trying to make was this ......if a guy either american or pinoy is trying to screw me over & over charge me & i catch on then i'll pay exactly what the meter says & no more !!!!!!!infact i'll tell the guy why so maybe next time we mite not play that game however i didn't say that i never tip because i do infact i try to tip well but just not like a drunken sailorpiglett oh also i figure if a guy drives a taxi & he gets just tips over say a 12 hour shift ( I think that's how long it is)he should be able to get 2 fares an hour & with just a small p20 tip(some will tip more) for a short run that is still p480 a dayeven if he gets zero pay from the taxi owner, which i figure he must get something .....rite???if i am off the mark let me knowthanks Edited by piglett

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
without seeming to attack the poster. have you ever been to RP? taken a taxi in RP? do you know how much the drivers make/earn each day??when they see a "whitee" they know they can ask for more, When your a FOP( fresh off the plane/boat) they will try to ask more for what the exact fare is.. what has worked for me & sure for others. (simpletons not included)is , know what the fare is before. thats if you have been to that location before,, 2. negotiate with him. if he says METER PLUS 100. reply,, back plus 50. then give NO TIP, how ever if he is taking you to an OUT OF THE WAY AREA. yes give what he asks. .since he would not have a fare to return. also KNOW where your going.. spend 300/350 for a MAPQUEST so you know where your at. MOST non natives do have the extra money to buy one, if you dont then download a map copy from the internet ,, PROMISE YOU that it can be a LIFE SAVER. thats unless you dont have the ability to download a map or purchase. GOOD LUCK..also may i note the topic was started by a person who has stated he has NOT YET BEEN to the RP. as we know we always hear alot of unsubstantiated rules/stories/ etc etc..
have i been , i sure have have a look at my pictires on photobuckethttp://s927.photobuc...17/piglett2195/the point i was trying to make was this ......if a guy either american or pinoy is trying to screw me over & over charge me & i catch on then i'll pay exactly what the meter says & no more !!!!!!!infact i'll tell the guy why so maybe next time we mite not play that game however i didn't say that i never tip because i do infact i try to tip well but just not like a drunken sailorpiglett oh also i figure if a guy drives a taxi & he gets just tips over say a 12 hour shift ( I think that's how long it is)he should be able to get 2 fares an hour & with just a small p20 tip(some will tip more) for a short run that is still p480 a dayeven if he gets zero pay from the taxi owner, which i figure he must get something .....rite???if i am off the mark let me knowthanks
OF what i have learned.from the drivers their "boundary" is roughly 1500 a day.(varies for age model) PLUS gas.then you also include the "gifts.payments/fees/bribes/ love offerings/etc etc to those in charge"also if they are LUCKY.( not to be an verbal attack on the powers to be) they may get a fare increase every 4 or 5 years after they pay a "ADJUSTMENT" to reset/reseal the meters. this fee i was told. was over 1000php. again i am not sure myself but this was told to me by the drivers i have had. when the gas goes up the TAKE HOME LESS or must work harder...NOT ever one does or will TIP. (this is based on my conversations from over 150 plus drivers from 05-09).... I guess my point is IF the driver wants more either you agree.or negotiate or the most easiest IS DONT take that particular taxi.it ROYALLY pisses me off when some of them want PLUS *** 50 or more. what they some dont know that they will lose a tip which maybe just as equal of what they asked for. OF what i have talked with others.. is a fare under 100 that tip 10 php. a longer fare over 100 ,10 to 20. this was based on the old fare system, BUT as i previous posted if he is taking you to an area where it is HARD TO GET A RETURN FARE, he should get a FAIR fare or TIP.also know what the fare was before so you have a basis to accept his offer or refuse. remember you can use the word NO

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
have i been , i sure have have a look at my pictires on photobuckethttp://s927.photobuc...17/piglett2195/the point i was trying to make was this ......if a guy either american or pinoy is trying to screw me over & over charge me & i catch on then i'll pay exactly what the meter says & no more !!!!!!!infact i'll tell the guy why so maybe next time we mite not play that game however i didn't say that i never tip because i do infact i try to tip well but just not like a drunken sailorpiglett
Yeah, just pay the metered price, tip optional! Taxi drivers aren't allowed to contract out for hire within their driving boundary if they are employees of the Taxi company! BTW, nice pics on your Photobucket album and of the Filipino Lifestyle!