How To Activate Roaming On Your Cell When You Leave

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

For those who do not know, if you happen to forget to activate your cell phone before you leave the Philippines, Smart now allows you to do it online. HERE is the instructions page, and HERE is the page to register your cell phone number, and then once registered, then there are a number of things you can do, including check your balance, or activate roaming, if you happened to forget. Let me add, the phone must have the correct frequency in it, for it to roam in the country you are going to, so in Asia etc, 900/1800 MHZ but in the US it must be a quad band to work. How do I activate/deactivate my prepaid international text roaming? Prepaid International Text Roaming is the latest amazing service from SMART to be offered to all SMART Buddy, Addict Mobile Prepaid and Talk ‘N Text subscribers. This shall allow you to send and receive text messages while roaming in any of our international roaming destinations.Activation and deactivation of this service can simply be done through the following channels. Please activate the feature at least 1 hour before the flight and maintain P100 balance to ensure smooth roaming service.Via SMS

• Just type ROAM ON / OFF and send it to 333.
Via WEB
  • Log-in to www.smart.com.ph/connect. For first time users, please register your account first. (Once logged-in, if asked what you would like to do, select "Browse Web Connect Services" from the options.)
  • Select SERVICES from the left sidebar menu.
  • Select International Roaming and Activate this service option.

Via SIM SETTINGS MENU

1. Go to the SMART Menu.
  2. Choose SIM Settings (or SIM Connect).
  3. Select Roam to activate and deactivate your international roaming service.

Prepaid international text roaming allows you to send and receive SMS messages and SMS VAS but disables your voice features. Original subscriber profile shall only be restored upon feature deactivation.

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Let me add, the phone must have the correct frequency in it, for it to roam in the country you are going to, so in Asia etc, 900/1800 MHZ but in the US it must be a quad band to work.

This is a good topic that anyone who is leaving for a short time should know,

cant find any recent info on Globe or Sun,

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
This is a good topic that anyone who is leaving for a short time should know,

Yes, but for those of us who don't think about it, many Philippine phones do not work in North America because they need to be triband or quad band . . and they aren't. So I am here with Smart roaming on and it does not do me any good because I have a Philippine phone and any phone I have tried to buy here is 'locked' so I cannot transfer my Smart sim.

Moral is: be sure you have a quad band phone before bothering to activate roaming if you are going to North America. Same if you are bringing a phone with you from NA to Phils.

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well this is interesting and I would appreciate some help on some questions as my girlfriend wants to text me but it's expensive for her to text me here in Australia from there.

She has a smart sim but her phone is duel sim so she was planning to get a sun sim today as we heard the International texting was cheaper with sun?

Anyway, I only have one sim slot in my main smart phone here in Australia (Nokia N8) and I need that for my Australian Sim.

I do have a China phone from the Philippines though so I'm wondering if I could get this to work on this? This phone does work in Australia with Australian sims.

Since I'm already now in Australia, could I still activate roaming or would I have had to done this before I left?

So basically, can I use this roaming service in my situation just to receive text from my girlfriend?

Edited by Adventurer

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

The first link on the first post for roaming is broken, I think this is it: http://smart.com.ph/corporate/services/roaming.htm

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

Ok, I have looked into this and here is what I found.

First thing I registered as from the link in the first post. That was all fine until I had to verify my phone number but since I'm not there then I can not verify it from what I'm seeing?

So then I go to the Prepay roaming page which I found here:

http://smart.com.ph/corporate/services/Outbound.htm

I read down the page how to activate roaming but HELLO take a look at this:

To activate:

1. If subscriber is going to a country supported by SMART Prepaid International Voice Roaming, before leaving the Philippines: Text ROAM ON <country name> and send to 333.

2. If subscriber is already abroad and going to a country supported by SMART Prepaid International Voice Roaming, before leaving: Text ROAM ON < country supported> and send to 333.

So it seems they are still pretty useless, nothing has changed, there is no way to activate roaming once abroad unless someone knows a hack to work around their failure again?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

First thing I registered as from the link in the first post. That was all fine until I had to verify my phone number but since I'm not there then I can not verify it from what I'm seeing?

http://smart.com.ph/...es/Outbound.htm

To activate:

1. If subscriber is going to a country supported by SMART Prepaid International Voice Roaming, before leaving the Philippines: Text ROAM ON <country name> and send to 333.

2. If subscriber is already abroad and going to a country supported by SMART Prepaid International Voice Roaming, before leaving: Text ROAM ON < country supported> and send to 333.

So it seems they are still pretty useless, nothing has changed, there is no way to activate roaming once abroad unless someone knows a hack to work around their failure again?

Not so, set up your account and then go to manage account, international roaming and then look at what you need to do. :thumbsup:

post-1-0-27387400-1338036604_thumb.jpg

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

http://smart.com.ph/...es/Outbound.htm

To activate:

Not so, set up your account and then go to manage account, international roaming and then look at what you need to do. :thumbsup:

post-1-0-27387400-1338036604_thumb.jpg

I've done that and it works great. The catch however, is it sends a code SMS and then you must input that code where it asks for it. If you are abroad, you won't be able to receive it because roaming is still off. If registered while still here, you would be golden but if not? Welcome to the Philippines. Pay the cashier on the way out.
  • Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've done that and it works great. The catch however, is it sends a code SMS and then you must input that code where it asks for it. If you are abroad, you won't be able to receive it because roaming is still off. If registered while still here, you would be golden but if not? Welcome to the Philippines. Pay the cashier on the way out.

that is exactly what I was talking about and demonstated, once you leave you can't activiate it even though make out you can/

yes WELCOME TO THE PHILIPPINES :) or welcome abroad and after leaving the Philippines ...

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Don't know how true this is but reading up on what others have said about Roaming from the Philippines? The Blogs (journalists - not from other forums) have all said that it is cheaper and easier to just buy a Sim card or even a Burn Phone (Pay as you go) in what ever country you end up in.