How Do We Even Know A Taxi Is Legal?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

What is to stop a taxi from changing numbers or running two taxis with the same numbers on the street? After all Filipinos and others seem to be very good at counterfeiting items, so why not have a few taxis with the same number out there? Would you allow your wife or gf to ride alone in a taxi? CEBU, Philippines - An unidentified taxi driver robbed and touched the breasts of a female passenger when they reached Barangay Tejero, Cebu City early yesterday morning.Marites Panaman, 20, a native of Dipolog City, recalled the cab’s body number, but police said the cab operator claimed the particular taxi unit was not running.The complete story HERE

Braddo
Posted
Posted

My wife while going to the Australian Embassy in Manila years ago when we were going through our visa application she was taken down the back streets by a Cabbie she asked to let her out but he kept driving another Killometre then pulled over My wife opened the door to run but he got to her before she could get away he ripped her skirt off but she kicked and scratched him that much he gave up on rapping her and stoll her hand bag instead and drove offShe was left sitting in the back blocks no skirt, no bag no money, an elderly gentleman came outside and helped my wife to his abode he gave her a pair of shorts from one of his kids and P200 to get to a police station, this would be big money for the old fella as he looked very poor my wife said. Anyway she got to the police station they couldn't do anything as Melen didn,t get the cab number but they took her to the embassy where the embassy contacted me and I sent over my Credit card details to pay for whatever it was she was going there for application for something and they gave her enough money to get home again, ( I'm sure I paid for this a hundred times over ) I only wish I could have paid back the old guy as My wife could not remeber how to get back to his house.My wife only travels in cabs now by herself in cebu on rare occasions otherwise she uses the Jeepney'sCheers Braddo

Candyman
Posted
Posted
My wife while going to the Australian Embassy in Manila years ago when we were going through our visa application she was taken down the back streets by a Cabbie she asked to let her out but he kept driving another Killometre then pulled over My wife opened the door to run but he got to her before she could get away he ripped her skirt off but she kicked and scratched him that much he gave up on rapping her and stoll her hand bag instead and drove offShe was left sitting in the back blocks no skirt, no bag no money, an elderly gentleman came outside and helped my wife to his abode he gave her a pair of shorts from one of his kids and P200 to get to a police station, this would be big money for the old fella as he looked very poor my wife said. Anyway she got to the police station they couldn't do anything as Melen didn,t get the cab number but they took her to the embassy where the embassy contacted me and I sent over my Credit card details to pay for whatever it was she was going there for application for something and they gave her enough money to get home again, ( I'm sure I paid for this a hundred times over ) I only wish I could have paid back the old guy as My wife could not remeber how to get back to his house.My wife only travels in cabs now by herself in cebu on rare occasions otherwise she uses the Jeepney'sCheers Braddo
That is a terrible story, and I am sorry it happened to your wife. I have only ever had a couple of instances, of them trying to rip me off, by not turning on the meter, and both times, I have said to them either turn it on, or I get out ! Another couple of times we have had to get out, and find another taxi, when we were all on board, when the Taxi driver asked us "where to?" and we replied " Lawis Alaska Mambaling !" .... A Lot of taxi drivers just do not like to go into this area !

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is always a good idea to take note of the number on the taxi incase of any problems later, also take notice of the driver too and anything in the taxi to describe to police should the need arise later, If anybody does`nt allow their wife to go in a taxi by themselves, They may as well go the whole hog and not let them out of the houseon their own, Riding a taxi is no more dangerous tnan walking the streets. I always make myself aware of the surroundings no matter where I am, The first thing I do is look for exits, In a mall, I asked one of the assistants where the fire exit was,She told me it was on the ground floor, I was on the 3rd floor, So a lot of good that was, I shook my head, CheChe just laughed.I was living in Thailand and their was a big fire in a night club were about 60 people died in a fire,And I was in that club an hour or so before, So I always make myself aware of the surroundings, CheChe says i,m mad, Maybe she`s right :unsure:

Edited by brock

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

As much as possible, I never allow my wife to travel on her own! We usually hire a vehicle and driver we know and another person, friend or relative to accompany her, safer in numbers!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
This is a sad and disgusting thing to happen to anyone especially in a cab as thats what most consider safe.Now I have to add that I often read about similar things happening here In Australia and other countries so its not just a Philippines thing and this is what we must be aware of,it can happen anywhere.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am very sorry to here that happened to Melen, and I am glad it turned out OK in the end. My wife always carries a knife and is not in the least bit afraid to use it, and I taught her some self defense techniques, so I feel pretty comfortable letting her take a taxi, and even more so when she calls me and gives me the taxi number because then the driver knows that someone else has his cab number if something should happen to her. So possibly whenever a woman gets into a taxi alone, it might be a good idea to act like she is dialing the phone to call someone, or actually call someone and say she is on her way and give the taxi number she is in loud enough for the driver to hear her. I prefer women travel in numbers and I always have our kids text us when they get home once we put them into a taxi, because I always worry but there are two of them and May is pretty tough, so I think she would hurt someone if they dared to try, well at least I pray that would be the case.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Somehow, even though bad things do happen I wonder if there is a need to be paranoid about safety in taxis. I know it sounds harsh but shit happens and in reality it only happens to a small percentage of the world population. I mean one could travel on a jeepney, get off and mugged a few steps up the road so its not the jeepney but misfortune.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Somehow, even though bad things do happen I wonder if there is a need to be paranoid about safety in taxis. I know it sounds harsh but sh&t happens and in reality it only happens to a small percentage of the world population. I mean one could travel on a jeepney, get off and mugged a few steps up the road so its not the jeepney but misfortune.
I am not sure it would be called paranoid to be prepared, and I do not think it ever hurts to be cautious and prepared in what we do in life. I know I would not be here if I did not have that attitude you called paranoid, and I call being aware of my surroundings, but you are correct, most taxi drivers are good family men, but if you remember the one taxi all four of us were in, where the guy was telling my wife how he has girlfriends all over the place, him I would not trust to be alone with a wife or gf because even though he was old, IMO he was playing a game of psychology to see if he could find more victims. In life it is always let the buyer beware, and IMO that would apply to even taxis, because we are buying their service.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Somehow, even though bad things do happen I wonder if there is a need to be paranoid about safety in taxis. I know it sounds harsh but shit happens and in reality it only happens to a small percentage of the world population. I mean one could travel on a jeepney, get off and mugged a few steps up the road so its not the jeepney but misfortune.
I am not sure it would be called paranoid to be prepared, and I do not think it ever hurts to be cautious and prepared in what we do in life. I know I would not be here if I did not have that attitude you called paranoid, and I call being aware of my surroundings, but you are correct, most taxi drivers are good family men, but if you remember the one taxi all four of us were in, where the guy was telling my wife how he has girlfriends all over the place, him I would not trust to be alone with a wife or gf because even though he was old, IMO he was playing a game of psychology to see if he could find more victims. In life it is always let the buyer beware, and IMO that would apply to even taxis, because we are buying their service.
lol, did you think I was saying you are paranoid? Not me never,now back to the topic.Yes I know the driver you were talking about but you read more into it than its worth in my opinion.Now to be careful not to look like Im attacking the poster but really you were laughing at his story's and if anyone wanted to believe then good for them.He, the driver most likely could not afford what he said about a girlfriend in Manila etc, he could not keep up such an existence but to think he is setting up more prey is sort of strange as what did he have to offer?He was just trying to amuse us and it worked so doubt if it was anything sinful.