A Cultural Experience

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I was wondering how many of you guys go to or live in the Philippines as much for the cultural experience as much as the women?I ask because I teach English around Asia by default in countries where other young expats go to teach or study. They're usually young and idealistic, looking to experience the world before heading home and hitting the grindstone. A lot of them, like myself, never make it home, or at least not for a long time for one reason or another. I was drinking a bit with a Brit and a Scot last night, and the Scot was saying to go home and find a job would be a miracle right now. Of course he'd like to stay and live there, but heading to Asia might be his best option for now. My Brit roommate was saying that 25% of university grads his age are unemployed (not sure if that's the real number or not). I'm sure I could get a job in Canada in the prairies, where I'm from, but I just choose Asia for now because I love the lifestyle out here so much more. It occurred to me that while I'm just out here on one temporary work visa after another, I'm much like an "immigrant" back home, in that I've lived in Asia so long, it's more and more who I am as a person and reflects my values or view of the world. If I go back to Canada, it will probably take A LOT of adjusting culturally and environmentally for me to do. I'm not, BTW, suggesting that these young, idealistic, youth are better than anyone. A lot of them are naive, immature, and have "stupid" written all over them. I don't judge why someone's in Asia, as long as it's legal. But when I talk to young people about the Philippines, it's always about cool islands they visited, amazing people they met, and that sort of thing. When I listen to people on here talk about the Philippines, it's all about the shopping mall, or the bar scene. Hey, if you lived this long, worked your ass off for all those years, and earned all those pennies you get monthly or saved up, who cares why you're in the Philippines; just enjoy it. I'm just wondering why? Is ANYONE there for the (unrelated to women) experience?!

Bill Bernard
Posted
Posted
I was wondering how many of you guys go to or live in the Philippines as much for the cultural experience as much as the women?I ask because I teach English around Asia by default in countries where other young expats go to teach or study. They're usually young and idealistic, looking to experience the world before heading home and hitting the grindstone. A lot of them, like myself, never make it home, or at least not for a long time for one reason or another. I was drinking a bit with a Brit and a Scot last night, and the Scot was saying to go home and find a job would be a miracle right now. Of course he'd like to stay and live there, but heading to Asia might be his best option for now. My Brit roommate was saying that 25% of university grads his age are unemployed (not sure if that's the real number or not). I'm sure I could get a job in Canada in the prairies, where I'm from, but I just choose Asia for now because I love the lifestyle out here so much more. It occurred to me that while I'm just out here on one temporary work visa after another, I'm much like an "immigrant" back home, in that I've lived in Asia so long, it's more and more who I am as a person and reflects my values or view of the world. If I go back to Canada, it will probably take A LOT of adjusting culturally and environmentally for me to do. I'm not, BTW, suggesting that these young, idealistic, youth are better than anyone. A lot of them are naive, immature, and have "stupid" written all over them. I don't judge why someone's in Asia, as long as it's legal. But when I talk to young people about the Philippines, it's always about cool islands they visited, amazing people they met, and that sort of thing. When I listen to people on here talk about the Philippines, it's all about the shopping mall, or the bar scene. Hey, if you lived this long, worked your ass off for all those years, and earned all those pennies you get monthly or saved up, who cares why you're in the Philippines; just enjoy it. I'm just wondering why? Is ANYONE there for the (unrelated to women) experience?!
If we wanted a cultural experience, we would have went to Thailand or Malaysia, or some other country that hadnt been colonized so frequently. Most go there for the women, the cost of living, and the climate, because they speak English, and again, the women.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Interesting topic! My experiences with different cultures maybe a little different from your own POV because of our age factor, education, financial status and what we are doing today in our lives. I grew up in Northern and Southern California, which I consider the melting pot capital of the world, because there’s a diversified culture due to many different nationality living in the U.S., because of the numerous ethnic groups from different parts of the world who migrated to the U.S. for numerous different reasons like education, travel, work, economic, war, political asylums, refugees fleeing their countries! So yes, I experienced different cultures by meeting these people from different countries when I went to school and finally through work with different nationalities in the civilian work force! And when I joined the military, I also went to a lot of different Asian countries during my military career, but never made it Europe, but did meet a few European and Middle Eastern people in the Asian countries that I was fortunate to visit. So my point is, that experiencing the many different cultures through out my growing up years until I became an adult, it was no surprise to me where ever I went or visited, because people are just people with a different set of attitudes and behaviors due to their cultural upbringing! Retiring in the Philippines was just easier for me and my wife to adapt to since it is where we were both born, but also too experience the western ways of life during my employment years and our living in the U.S. before I retired! Our reason for retiring in the Philippines was for economic reasons, because “it’s cheaper to live in the Philippines”, but the way the global recession is affecting all of the things in our lives, it's anyone's opinion where it's cheaper to live nowadays! All I can say is, "life is what we all make it to be'! "Que Sera, Sera"! "It's always about the woman(wife or girlfriend)" that are in our lives for most of us anyways!

Edited by Art2ro

Jake
Posted
Posted
I'm just wondering why? Is ANYONE there for the (unrelated to women) experience?!
A thought provoking post Ekimswish. Ahh, to be young and energetic again would probably get me going to the far corners of the world. Having spent 21 years in the US Navy gave me an opportunity to travel and learn how other folks work and live in their own country. If it wasn't for the draft during Vietnam war, which gave me only one choice after high school, I would still have the travel bug to see other places. But thinking back, that would take time and money. I guess I didn't have a free spirit like a typical hippie back in those days. Although, I did manage to save up for a bus fare to New York City to celebrate my 18th birthday. In the 60's and 70's -- smoking weed, the flower generation, make love not war and the peace symbol were the social signs of my generation. Too bad I couldn'tfind any "free love" -- had to pay 40 bucks to get myself de-virginized in NYC......he, he.I believe most of the members here are over the hill and have gone to hell and back, both financial and personal issues. We havebeen there and done that, but now need to rejuvenate our souls during our golden years. Perhaps, a second chance to redeemourselves. Except for a few exceptions, I don't think we came to the Philippines to enlighten our worldly knowledge of gainingmore culture experiences. That comes later, like a slap in the face. For the younger and purer studs who seek out extreme hobbies in scuba diving or discovering the perfect wave in Surigao, the Philippines has much to offer. However, I must confess that cold beer and hot women will always be a tempting distraction wherever you go, affecting both the young and old farts like myself.. Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
I'm just wondering why? Is ANYONE there for the (unrelated to women) experience?!
Without women in the picture, the answer would be a definite yes, if one is younger, educated and have money to play with, but in most cases 9 times out of 10, the woman was already there from the beginning and until one's retirement! So, the question of women (unrelated) being out of the picture is one sided and only meant for the single younger guys that you described as being other young expats who go to teach or study, 25% of university grads are unemployed, young, idealistic youths, naive, immature, and have "stupid" written all over them, what a bleak future for those types of individuals, but not for those who are resourceful! So as for us older expats, we can not dwell on those types of experiences of a younger person, because we are older and way beyond our years and we've already been there and done all that long ago in our younger days! So, the women in our present day lives are here to stay for better or for worst while we still enjoy what life has to offer! It sucks sometimes to be young in this day and age of a global recession, unless one is resourceful and has a good source of income to do whatever one wishes to do! As for us old farts, we're all somewhat stable and set in our ways just enjoying what we have left to enjoy with the time we all have left! So, you younger guys out there, go for the gusto and enjoy all of your experiences in life to the fullest wherever or with whomever that may be! AddEmoticons04230.gif Edited by Art2ro

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My first trip to Philippines was for the SCUBA diving and maybe meeting a good woman. During that trip I met a great gal who is now my wife!I sometimes envy Expats like Art and his wife who are living happily in Philippines. Once I retire our plans are to do as Lee and his wife do. We will live several months in Philippines but keep a full time home in the States.It would be my guess most Western Foreigner men living in Philippines today are there because of the women, some with their wife others to play around. In the past Philippines offered a place to escape and live cheaply and the women.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Is ANYONE there for the (unrelated to women) experience?!
We are guys. EVERYWHERE we go is related to women. (Apologies to the gay guys)
  • Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
If we wanted a cultural experience, we would have went to Thailand or Malaysia, or some other country that hadnt been colonized so frequently. Most go there for the women, the cost of living, and the climate, because they speak English, and again, the women.
Really? I can't argue with you that Thailand has a cooler culture than the Philippines, and that due to colonization. I wish I could experience a cultural Philippines pre-Spain / America, but that will never happen. At the same time, a few things pop up when i think of it. First, the Philippines never would have had a dominant, highly developed, singular culture like Thailand simply because it's made up of so many islands with different languages and local cultures. You could never have expected them to be like Thailand. They don't even speak the same languages in the Philippines from one side of the island to the other. The other thing I consider is that maybe because of the language barrier in Thailand, foreigners looking in from the outside are much more easily impressed. In Korea I never learned the language, and when I drank with Korean guys I had nothing but fun. It was all smiles and cheers and body language humor. I thought these guys were great! But when my English speaking Korean friends would tell me more about some of our friends, it turns out a few of them maybe been big time bigots and jerks. Still, ignorance is bliss, so when you can't understand someone, all you have to work with is a smile or friendly gesture, and you come away thinking, "What lovely people." Maybe in the Philippines, because there's so much English, there's no linguistic barrier to hide behind, and imagine everything's perfect, such as in Thailand? I wonder how our impressions of Thailand and its people would change if they spoke better English, and we had closer dealings with them, as we do with Filipinos? Maybe they'd still be great, but maybe not. Maybe they'd just be "normal" like everyone else.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Really? I can't argue with you that Thailand has a cooler culture than the Philippines, and that due to colonization. I wish I could experience a cultural Philippines pre-Spain / America, but that will never happen. At the same time, a few things pop up when i think of it. First, the Philippines never would have had a dominant, highly developed, singular culture like Thailand simply because it's made up of so many islands with different languages and local cultures. You could never have expected them to be like Thailand. They don't even speak the same languages in the Philippines from one side of the island to the other. The other thing I consider is that maybe because of the language barrier in Thailand, foreigners looking in from the outside are much more easily impressed. In Korea I never learned the language, and when I drank with Korean guys I had nothing but fun. It was all smiles and cheers and body language humor. I thought these guys were great! But when my English speaking Korean friends would tell me more about some of our friends, it turns out a few of them maybe been big time bigots and jerks. Still, ignorance is bliss, so when you can't understand someone, all you have to work with is a smile or friendly gesture, and you come away thinking, "What lovely people." Maybe in the Philippines, because there's so much English, there's no linguistic barrier to hide behind, and imagine everything's perfect, such as in Thailand? I wonder how our impressions of Thailand and its people would change if they spoke better English, and we had closer dealings with them, as we do with Filipinos? Maybe they'd still be great, but maybe not. Maybe they'd just be "normal" like everyone else.
OK, I see where you're coming from. Learning different cultures with language skills will certainly give you a more realistic down to earth exposure of the people. I would love to have the patience and the skills to quickly learn the lay of the land. For example, I invited a couple American missionaries of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) who spoke perfect Tagalog. Judy and I were very much impressed with their dedication. Same thing with the members of the Peace Corp or the special ops guys in Afghanistan. Some of us are too old, stubborn or perhaps arrogant to learn and speak another language. I shall include myself in that category. I'm too lazy to learn Visaya or other dialects. But I treat everyone with respect and don't worry too much about them talking behind my back. I would like to think that I'm more attuned to body language and will respond accordingly. Mostly walk away or remove my sun glasses and return their stare back at them. Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was fortunate enough to be stationed in Utapao AB, Thailand in my youth for 2 yrs and loved every minute of it, oh boy all the beautiful women, but I couldn't stay any longer because of the base closure! I put a checked mark as a reminder that Thailand would be my prior place to retire, but that didn't materialize, because the Philippines is where my roots are and had a stronger influence on me. As for Thailand, the language and culture was a barrier for me since I couldn't totally pickup on their language and culture behavior differences! Thailand is a nice place to visit, but I personally wouldn't want to live there. Anyway, we love it here in the Philippines and because it's our roots and the cost of living suites us just fine!

Edited by Art2ro