Filipina Brides Of Foreigners Finical Expectation To Family Living In Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just how common is financial support to parents living in Philippines for the expat community? I know a few mixed couples that do not provide monthly “payments” because the parents are financially secure. Many do send a small monthly amount to mom and dad that need a little extra help.Obviously all of us would provide what we could if the parents were to be in real need.Did you come to an understanding with your wife to be and her parents when you were courting? Or did an arrangement one way or the other evolve over time?

Edited by Old55

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Never been asked for anything but some times when flush its nice to give some help no matter how big or small

brock
Posted
Posted

I have always helped my wifes family, even in the UK, My wifes family is MY family, I,m not talking about distant cousins or anything lke that, But parents, brothers and sisters, YES,

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

No, it's not an obligation or a Filipino cultural thing! It just evolves over time depending on the immediate family's circumstances, either they have financial problems or not, but just doing the right thing for them within reason keeps everything in check! It's just up to you how long you can keep it in check!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
No, it's not an obligation or a Filipino cultural thing! It just evolves over time depending on the immediate family's circumstances, either they have financial problems or not, but just doing the right thing for them within reason keeps everything in check! It's just up to you how long you can keep it in check!
I totally agree with Art on this one. 50 years ago my mother asked my father to help her mum and dad financially because they were going through a rough time. Dad was the breadwinner and did the right thing. Mums family were in England, we were in Canada and none of us had even heard of the Philippines. Its not culture and its not obligation. Its the right thing to do, within reason.
  • Like 1

oldutot
Posted
Posted

For me and the wife senting money was always at reason. My mother in law is 97 years old, generally we help her out.

• Like 1

beegee
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic, I've supported my gf's Family quite a bit during the 10 tears we've been together (medical bills, tuiton fees etc) but pointed out that things may be a lot different when we move there on a limited budget. Not saying I won't but it shouldn't be an expectation, met with a little silence and given she's never asked for anything anyway probably a little insensitive. But this is a slight concern of mine.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Interesting topic, I've supported my gf's Family quite a bit during the 10 tears we've been together (medical bills, tuiton fees etc) but pointed out that things may be a lot different when we move there on a limited budget. Not saying I won't but it shouldn't be an expectation, met with a little silence and given she's never asked for anything anyway probably a little insensitive. But this is a slight concern of mine.
I believe it is a realistic concern that needs to be worked out ahead of time, and especially since the expectation is probably now there since you have already set the pace. Now I am not saying it cannot be worked out, because my wife and I worked through it once I retired and I knew our income would be much less, so one way is to possibly work out a number that you know you would be able to give monthly, and have your lady set that amount aside to be used for her family. Unfortunately my wife's parents had both passed on before we married, so I feel that they would be the only ones that we would be more or less obligated to help, yet we do help her brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews with real emergencies, sacks of rice at least once a year, medicines etc and used clothing. It is hard to pull the plug once the pace has already been set but it can be done.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

My partner has a brother working overseas in Saudi.He won't send any money to support his mother.Why?....because I'm a foreigner and should do it!I'll keep my comments and outcome of that situation to myself.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
My partner has a brother working overseas in Saudi.He won't send any money to support his mother.Why?....because I'm a foreigner and should do it!I'll keep my comments and outcome of that situation to myself.
We totally respect your privacy in that matter Roy but you make a good point. It is not uncommon for Filipino family members who contributed to mom and dad in the past cease support when a "rich Kano" enters the family.