Moving Home To The Philippines

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
When we moved here permanently in March of this year, we had shipped 60 LBC boxes at $55 to $65, depending on when they were shipped, and one box for $250. We carried our two desk top computers in our suitcases. I think we had to pay $30 for over weight. We also carried our 40" LCD tv as luggage, that cost $150 from Seattle to Manila, and then $150 from Manila to Cebu. That was a very very good decision. We had plastered fragile stickers all over it and it arrived here in perfect condition in the original carton.I didn't bring the 12 thousand paper books that I had acculated over a lifetime, instead gave those away. I did bring a Kindle 3 with over 100 thousand ebooks on my computer. I brought the foods that I like, I am a vegetarian, like La Victoria salsa, blackeyed peas, and about thirty pounds of tilamook cheese, which yes, made it here just fine, since it was in our luggage. I also brought lots of spices that we bought cheap at costco. Wish I had brought more spices.One spice we haven't been able to find here is anise seed. I like it on my pizza and my wife makes excelent pizza.I also wish I had brought 30 boxes of stuff instead of 60. I would have been just as happy, as long as I had packed the right things. The things I brought that I didn't need were things like my M&M collectables, twenty pairs of sandals, I am 66 and I only wear shoes, or clothes for that matter, if I go out. I do wear underwear before you get too excited, but no shirts, shorts or socks, unless we are going to a mall, which I do maybe twice a month. In other words, at my age I brought ten lifetimes worth of new shoes. I also have over 400 custom made shirts that I got here on various trips. About a 20 lifetime supply. Tons of kitchen things. We brought six new sets of non stick skillets from Costco. I doubt that we will use the old ones that we brought until they are no good.I of course brought as much of the prescription medicine that I could talk the VA out of, all our homemade jam, any books that I didn't have as an eBook, all my DVD's and music cd's. Toiletry items that we didn't think we could find here, but now we have an S&R, so have found most of them here. Two new sets of corele dishes and glassware, all of our kitchen pots and pans, bowls, utensils etc.I wish I had scoured the garage sales for more electric hand tools. The in-laws could have used a good circular saw earlier when they were making all the book cases for the house. Don't have much use for the hand tools and socket wrenches we brought, don't have or plan on having a car. Sure the usual pliers and screwdrivers and a few vise grips and crescents, but not the bulk of stuff that I brought.I of course brought all of my computer cables and pieces that I had. Three of my five printers did not make the trip in LBC boxes successfully, though none of them had been opened. Brought all of my blank cd's and my data cd's and extra keyboards and mice. Upgraded my computers with all the latest stuff just before we left.Brought six coffee makers and five bread makers and two sets of good knives, my good cutting board.Brought a lot of things that I could get here without an issue. But the things that I am soooo glad I brought, are my computers and monitors in the luggage, the TV as carry on, my office chair built for pleasantly plump people, that was why the $250 box, because it wouldn't fit in a regular one, several good 110v power strips, my microwave, and my bread makers, all the garage sale board games that we found the year before we left, and my Kindle 3. I couldn't live without that, and I haven't seen any for sale here.When we arrived, we were very lucky to find a great four bedroom two bath house for P7500 per month, in a very nice area, quite and with good neighbors. We bought a 22cf side by side refrigerator, a stove with oven, a couch with recliners on each end, two bamboo double beds, a used round office table to use as a dining room table with three used office chairs, and a split air conditioner. The brothers in law built a computer table and 12 bookcases. We are all set with everything we need. Now that we are set up, the next phase is to go thru the boxes that are under the bed and get rid of 80% of it, and put the rest on the book cases.
You'll fit in the Philippines just fine, because the Filipinos are born "Pack Rats" who hoards anything and everything, just like in the U.S. too! I know that to be true, because my father was one such hoarder! When he passed away, it took two large dumpsters to clear out his two car garage! Our home 2 car garage here in the Philippines is free of clutter! I'm not a Filipino hoarder! So, no one can say "like father, like son"! I broke the habit of being a hoarder long time ago and that's why I only shipped 11 boxes to the Philippines when we retired! Still, that's 11 boxes too many!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Now as for those food items you find in the closet, now has never been a better time to start eating them all and saving the money that other meals might cost you, so to put away more cash for your new life.
I did not mean perishable food items,I meant like condiments,spices,etc.
I of course brought all of my computer cables and pieces that I had. Three of my five printers did not make the trip in LBC boxes successfully, though none of them had been opened. Brought all of my blank cd's and my data cd's and extra keyboards and mice. Upgraded my computers with all the latest stuff just before we left.
Thanks for the in depth reply,I have to ask though,why would you want to bring 5 printers? wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new rather than ship them even if its a bit more to buy in Cebu?

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted
Now as for those food items you find in the closet, now has never been a better time to start eating them all and saving the money that other meals might cost you, so to put away more cash for your new life.
I did not mean perishable food items,I meant like condiments,spices,etc.
I of course brought all of my computer cables and pieces that I had. Three of my five printers did not make the trip in LBC boxes successfully, though none of them had been opened. Brought all of my blank cd's and my data cd's and extra keyboards and mice. Upgraded my computers with all the latest stuff just before we left.
Thanks for the in depth reply,I have to ask though,why would you want to bring 5 printers? wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new rather than ship them even if its a bit more to buy in Cebu?
Black and white laser, color laser, high end photo printer, regular photo printer, and wide format printer.