Pinoy Perspective

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted (edited)
Two points I'd like to make that are softly related to this topic are:1) People love working with Filipinos all around the world; they just don't like working IN the Philippines. Seems it's the government that's the problem, and not the people. If the government were better, foreign companies could invest directly in the Philippines, rather than enticing the workers abroad to safer ground. 2.) I showed a picture of my poor Filipino friend climbing a coconut tree to my Taiwanese-Canadian friend this afternoon. I told hiim most Filipinos doing this work would be lucky to make $100 a month. He said no wonder they come to Taiwan. I said no, the ones in Taiwan are the educated Filipinos who might be considered rich in their hometown. This guy climbing the tree has no chance of going abroad. What I'm getting at is a theme I've repeated a lot: educated Filipinos have tended to leave the country en masse for better opportunities, leaving the less educated and privilidged behind to represent "the nation," while the government could fix the problem by just being 40% less greedy and corrupt than they are. Most of Asia is corrupt, and it's not a problem. The problem is when there's no honor among theives, and that's the problem here: you could pay off the Philippine government, but you still couldn't trust them. Better to pay off a government that will honor your bribe.
Think you hit nail on head with...."no honour amongst thieves'. I heard a joke somewhere that Billy Joel's song "Honesty" was almost banned by the government of this country.... Anyway, all credit to the authour of the piece for voicing his POV. Maybe he comes across as disgruntled but then he's probably frustrated with the lack of responsibility for actions by his fellow countrymen. That's life. Edited by roy2cebu

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

:23_11_62[1]: Greatest Post ever on this forum, :unsure: you HIT IT Right on the nail, perhaps if the RP is to change they will need a "Pol Pot" type to facilitate this,

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
:23_11_62[1]: Greatest Post ever on this forum, :unsure: you HIT IT Right on the nail, perhaps if the RP is to change they will need a "Pol Pot" type to facilitate this,
I doubt it. Cambodia's not doing so well itself. I've seen some headlines lately that the Philippine Economy has actually been improving, and the outlook is not bad. Maybe slow and steady wins the race. I actually think Manila looks better every year. Leyte, where we live, is pretty nice. Samar, when I traveled through a year ago, had the worst roads I'd ever experienced, aside from CAMBODIA (lol). The lady sitting next to me on the plane was working for the government, headed to Samar to facilitate new construction on the road I experienced with funds from the US. Assuming not too much of hte money goes missing, Samar would do really well to have a road you could drive on. It's a terribly beautiful place. I kind of think the Philippines is on the right path.