Computerized Elections

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sometimes it amazes my how a third world country can be ahead of the so called first world in some areas.The next election in the Philippines is going to be completely computerized. We dont have that In Australia and I dont know about other countrys but sure sounds like the way to go.I guess the problem for the Philippines might be sabotage on voting day,cut the power or something in certain areas.Will be interesting to see what happens.Story http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/business/0,3...62050178,00.htm

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I think the problem will be even more cheating. Whoever programs the computer, can make it do whatever they want it to. Say every second time someone votes for candidate A the vote goes to candidate B instead of A. Therefore B is sure to win if A is more popular. I think the fact that they are pushing it now, can only mean that they are already preparing to cheat and the machine purchase will mean even more kick backs to someone. BTW, we had computerized voting in the US and it was a disaster, and the Philippines spent a fortune for computerized voting in the past and it never got to be used and the machines are probably rotting away somewhere.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sadly I agree with you Lee, 2010 is not that far away. :)

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

It's GMA's backup plan if Cha-cha fails.Computerized voting, while it looks sexy and has many other appeals, is a very slippery slope. Even in a so called technologically advanced country like the US.The problem is that there are too many ways to gum up the works. People make mistakes, and people build computer systems and write software, so there you have it.There are some things better left alone and voting is one of them!

retired
Posted
Posted
It's GMA's backup plan if Cha-cha fails.Computerized voting, while it looks sexy and has many other appeals, is a very slippery slope. Even in a so called technologically advanced country like the US.The problem is that there are too many ways to gum up the works. People make mistakes, and people build computer systems and write software, so there you have it.There are some things better left alone and voting is one of them!
Given the Philippines internet infrastructure i don't possibily see how they can pull this off . Hell , i probably have trouble 20% of the time even getting on line . :)

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Sometimes it amazes my how a third world country can be ahead of the so called first world in some areas.The next election in the Philippines is going to be completely computerized. We dont have that In Australia and I dont know about other countrys but sure sounds like the way to go.I guess the problem for the Philippines might be sabotage on voting day,cut the power or something in certain areas.Will be interesting to see what happens.Story http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/business/0,3...62050178,00.htm
Yes it is much easier to manipulate a single computer system than thousands of individual ballot boxes. :)

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
I'll vote yes to that. SugarwareZ-003.gif

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Yes it is much easier to manipulate a single computer system than thousands of individual ballot boxes. :)
But just think of how much money will be saved by doing this. If you can manipulate the votes electronically, no need to pay 500 pesos for one anymore.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I'll vote yes to that. SugarwareZ-003.gif
Your vote don't count,your an alien SugarwareZ-011.gif

BobNChe
Posted
Posted
But just think of how much money will be saved by doing this. If you can manipulate the votes electronically, no need to pay 500 pesos for one anymore.
In Masbate the winner for the mayors office in Placer paid P2000 per vote!