Rh Bill Benefits Poor Mothers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
What happens when you educate girls and encourage them to become doctors and lawyers and whatever else they want to be? They usually put off having a family until they've accomplished their goals. They don't need someone to tell them having a baby will throw a monkey wrench in their plans; they can see that for themselves. It's when they have little to look forward to, or have not been encouraged to set high goals, that they settle on some good looking kid who MIGHT be able to take care of her and their brood of kids. If the Philippines could ever focus on education, like Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, or Singapore, they would have no problem with their population.
In many poor families that theory does not work, and I speak from the experience of sending 4 nieces to college, only with them ending up pregnant and then married, or married and then pregnant, and either way dropping out of college. One was studying to be a nurse, and the drive to get married and have children was greater for her, than the drive to finish, even when I had promised her that I would bring her to the states and she would be making at least $60,000 a year to help support her whole family if she wanted to, and probably marry another nurse or doctor and be set twice as nice. I also gave 2 boys a chance and only one finished, so one out of six is pretty bad odds, and that one boy had a baby with a gf before leaving for a job overseas. :dance: 1%20(103).gif

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
What happens when you educate girls and encourage them to become doctors and lawyers and whatever else they want to be? They usually put off having a family until they've accomplished their goals. They don't need someone to tell them having a baby will throw a monkey wrench in their plans; they can see that for themselves. It's when they have little to look forward to, or have not been encouraged to set high goals, that they settle on some good looking kid who MIGHT be able to take care of her and their brood of kids. If the Philippines could ever focus on education, like Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, or Singapore, they would have no problem with their population.
In many poor families that theory does not work, and I speak from the experience of sending 4 nieces to college, only with them ending up pregnant and then married, or married and then pregnant, and either way dropping out of college. One was studying to be a nurse, and the drive to get married and have children was greater for her, than the drive to finish, even when I had promised her that I would bring her to the states and she would be making at least $60,000 a year to help support her whole family if she wanted to, and probably marry another nurse or doctor and be set twice as nice. I also gave 2 boys a chance and only one finished, so one out of six is pretty bad odds, and that one boy had a baby with a gf before leaving for a job overseas. :SugarwareZ-034: 1%20(103).gif
I get you on that. I just mean it has to be a cultural emphasis on education, not just an emphasis for a few individuals here and there. For example, if the government and church put more emphasis on it, things could change in the way people percieve, receive, and value it.
  • Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
If it wasn't for poor families having babies 20 or 30 years ago there would be a lot of foreigners without wives today and a lot of western families with no maids and businesses with no foreign workers. I think any life those kids have is better than the alternative. Ask any of them if they would rather have never been born. Maybe thats why they go to church. God says he loves them and people say they should never have been born. Hmmmm. Edit: I am speaking against abortion not contraception. Each individual can decide when he or she is ready to try to make a baby but when you make decision OR a mistake, then you stands up and does the right thing, even if that means giving baby up for adoption,
Lol... you say that like it's a bad thing! I wanna challenge one thing in that statement which is, those lucky enough to work abroad or marry foreigners are usually not the poorest of the poor in the Philippines. Sure, they might have been poor'ish, but the real poor in the Philippines don't even have access to THOSE opportunities. People working abroad are often well-educated Filipinos who went to college and everything, possibly from respected families in their home village or wherever.