Cell phone now needed for Social Security AND Bank login

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

There does not seem to be any messages about future changes, so I will wait and see.

FYI, here is the entire text of the email:

Starting in August 2016, Social Security is adding a new step to protect your privacy as a my Social Security user.  This new requirement is the result of an executive order for federal agencies to provide more secure authentication for their online services. Any agency that provides online access to a customer’s personal information must use multifactor authentication.

When you sign in at ssa.gov/myaccount with your username and password, we will ask you to add your text-enabled cell phone number.  The purpose of providing your cell phone number is that, each time you log in to your account with your username and password, we will send you a one-time security code you must also enter to log in successfully to your account.

Each time you sign into your account, you will complete two steps:

Step 1:  Enter your username and password.
Step 2:  Enter the security code we text to your cell phone (cell phone provider's text message and data rates may apply).
The process of using a one-time security code in addition to a username and password is one form of “multifactor authentication,” which means we are using more than one method to make sure you are the actual owner of your account. 

If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account. 

If you are unable or choose not to use my Social Security, there are other ways you can contact us.  To learn more, please review the Frequently Asked Questions found here.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Timely and only a bit off topic, I received an email today from US Social Security. Starting next month to access the mySocialSecurity will implement mandatory double login, 1st user name/password, 2nd texted security code. Those without US text phone number will be unable to access the site.

Yes I got an email about this today as well. I guess it's being implemented as of August 1st. I am all for extra security but sometimes this becomes a real pain.

• Like 1

strap
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Timely and only a bit off topic, I received an email today from US Social Security. Starting next month to access the mySocialSecurity will implement mandatory double login, 1st user name/password, 2nd texted security code. Those without US text phone number will be unable to access the site.

Yep...I got the same email today. It starts Aug 1 and will not be optional. Here's a quote from the email:

If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your my Social Security account. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I logged in (I was forced to select a new password) and in the security settings, it has the text message as optional extra security, and setting it up requires them to send you a letter by post.  There does not seem to be any messages about future changes, so I will wait and see.

Yes, I also got the e-mail today.  I will test it ASAP using my Google voice number.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I also got the e-mail today.  I will test it ASAP using my Google voice number.

Dave, sorry we hijacked your thread!

I just logged in to add my phone number, and there is no place to add it.  The home page says the web site will be down soon for security upgrades.

• Like 2

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted

I just received an email today from the Social Security Administration today outlining their new security procedures to log on to the SS website that go into effect Monday. Instead of copying and pasting the content of the email I found a link with the content here:

http://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/cell-phone-now-needed-for-social-security-login/

I assume that the "text-enabled cell phone" they are referring to cannot be a Philippines cell phone. Anyone have a workaround? I have seen alot of talk about MagicJack on the forum but it doesn't look like it can emulate a "text-enabled cell phone". Am I wrong? Does any one have any solutions?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Dave, sorry we hijacked your thread!

I thought about splitting it but the topic is about dealing with the new levels of security and whether that is at a bank or some other institution it is good to know how people are dealing with it.

So lets let it ride unless JGF says otherwise.

EDIT:  I merged this thread with one that Bobo started so we can keep all the related discussion in one thread.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

How will I access my personal my Social Security account if I am overseas?

If your cell phone can receive texts, you will still be able to access your account but keep in mind that your cell phone provider’s text message and data rates may apply. If you are overseas and cannot receive text messages or are concerned about roaming charges, you will not be able to access your account. Please visit our website to learn more about our Services Around the World.

I hope that this us the case for all of us US citizens. I emailed just now  for clarification and details and they messaged that they'll answer in three days time. We'll see what's said.
Queenie

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

How will I access my personal my Social Security account if I am overseas?

If your cell phone can receive texts, you will still be able to access your account but keep in mind that your cell phone provider’s text message and data rates may apply. If you are overseas and cannot receive text messages or are concerned about roaming charges, you will not be able to access your account. Please visit our website to learn more about our Services Around the World.

I hope that this us the case for all of us US citizens. I emailed just now  for clarification and details and they messaged that they'll answer in three days time. We'll see what's said.
Queenie

It only allows you to put in a 10 digit (3 digit area code + 7 digit number) so that message above is misleading.  What they are referring to is if you take your U.S. cell phone overseas.

I just signed in and the first time, it asks for the cell phone number.  I entered my Google voice number and after I hit Next, I had the code in my Google mail in about 5 seconds.  That is my first test of using my Google Voice number for this purpose.  I hope it works as well for my brokerage.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Can anyone offer any tips about google voice and how it works? It seems to work for you guys. Just a matter of time before all of us with online banking will encounter what Dave did I'm sure. Can you use google voice just for texting?

How does one acquire a US google voice number from an international base like the Philippines? Hope this isn't off thread again, or too technical to answer here, but google voice seems to be the offered option that works as of now.

• Like 1