Cell phone now needed for Social Security AND Bank login

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, intrepid said:

That is where I am.  The needed SafePass code still fails.  So what are our solutions?

That is not good.   Has anyone tried getting the security code from Fidelity Brokerage, by text to Google Voice?

Edited by OnMyWay
Clarification

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

That is not good.  Has anyone tried GV with Fidelity yet?

Sorry, I don't know what GV with Fidelity is.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Just now, intrepid said:

Sorry, I don't know what GV with Fidelity is.

Getting the security code from Fidelity Brokerage, by text to Google Voice.

I will edit the original question too :-)

intrepid
Posted
Posted

The only work around I have found that works for me is I added my daughters cell phone number back in the US.  When I need a code, I advise her in advance to make sure she is available and she texts me as soon as she gets it.  Then I enter it
 on my laptop.  It has worked the two times I needed it.  But with getting ready to build a home, I wish I could do it all myself with bothering someone else.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I don't understand what is causing the problem. I have no issues with my Google Voice account receiving texts from Bank of America, Schwab, Verizon, Social Security, Paypal, TD Ameritrade... Has always worked for me so the only thing I can think of it is a setting issue somewhere. Either all should work or all shouldn't, some yes and some no is baffling. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I don't understand what is causing the problem. I have no issues with my Google Voice account receiving texts from Bank of America, Schwab, Verizon, Social Security, Paypal, TD Ameritrade... Has always worked for me so the only thing I can think of it is a setting issue somewhere. Either all should work or all shouldn't, some yes and some no is baffling. 

I hope you are right.  The problem is, I am too paranoid to try it with my Fidelity and open a can of worms if it fails!  It worked for SS and my settings seem fine.  Perhaps you could post screenshots of your settings?  I'll post mine here and if they match yours, everyone can look at mine.  I just unchecked my spam tickbox, otherwise they are the same as I always had.

Phones

Fullscreen capture 882016 30730 PM.bmp.jpg

Voicemail & Text

Fullscreen capture 882016 31443 PM.bmp.jpg

Calls

Fullscreen capture 882016 31756 PM.jpg

I don't think "Groups & Circles" and "Billing" would apply.  I have my "Account" timezone set to Eastern U.S.

Fullscreen capture 882016 32109 PM.jpg

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I hope you are right.  The problem is, I am too paranoid to try it with my Fidelity and open a can of worms if it fails!  It worked for SS and my settings seem fine.  Perhaps you could post screenshots of your settings?  I'll post mine here and if they match yours, everyone can look at mine.  I just unchecked my spam tickbox, otherwise they are the same as I always had.

I might have found the difference*. Working backwards, under "Billing", I have Central time zone. Under "Calls" I have call  screening off and you can recheck the spam box, mine is checked also. Under "Voicemail and Text" no difference. *Under "Phones" Google Chat is not checked, my Verizon phone is checked, and under that Receive text messages on this phone and Notify me of new voicemails via text is checked also. 

My Verizon phone number is still active although I have not had the sim installed in over a year. All phone calls and texts to this number have been forwarded to google for years and only old business contacts have the Verizon number. All my accounts have the GV number only. Keeping that active or not using Google chat (just gmail) is my guess to how I am successful. 

• Like 2

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, intrepid said:

That is where I am.  The needed SafePass code still fails.  So what are our solutions?

In post #24 above, I  laid out in detail the options of which I'm currently aware.

Briefly, I don't think there's a **SIMPLE** option for BofA SMS verifications and GV.

However, there's always the BofA physical SafePass card that will work anywhere - there are some drawbacks though:

1. One must pay for it which I'm sure will be unpalatable for some folks - when I got mine, I paid USD 20;

2. If one is abroad and loses the card, that is a problem, especially if one does not have a U.S. residence address on file with BofA. That can be mitigated by using a **GOOD** mail forwarding service that gives a physical U.S. address and quick international shipping.

3. Like most companies these days, BofA suffers in the quality control department - I'm on my third SafePass card in about 4 years. The first one simply wore out and the second was shipped with a failing LCD screen that eventually made the codes unreadable. I recently received the third and there are no flaws, so I expect that to last a few years.

My **PERSONAL OPINION** is that the best bank for those abroad, especially in the PI, is Citibank. Citibank offers Global Transfers from, for example, one's U.S. Citi account to one's Philippines Citi account **FOR FREE** in **REAL-TIME**. However, Citi's compensating balances, especially in the PI, are a bit high and the monthly fees, if one has to pay them, might not appeal to some. Citi's compensating balances and fees are nowhere near those of HSBC, however.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

I might have found the difference*. Working backwards, under "Billing", I have Central time zone. Under "Calls" I have call  screening off and you can recheck the spam box, mine is checked also. Under "Voicemail and Text" no difference. *Under "Phones" Google Chat is not checked, my Verizon phone is checked, and under that Receive text messages on this phone and Notify me of new voicemails via text is checked also. 

My Verizon phone number is still active although I have not had the sim installed in over a year. All phone calls and texts to this number have been forwarded to google for years and only old business contacts have the Verizon number. All my accounts have the GV number only. Keeping that active or not using Google chat (just gmail) is my guess to how I am successful. 

If I understand it correctly:

1.  A bank sends a code to your Google Voice number

2.  Google Voice forwards it to your old Verizon number

3.  You old Verizon number forwards it back to Gmail?

If so, you have an extra loop in there that may be fooling the system.  What happens if your old Verizon number stops working?  I'm surprised that it still does.  I had a Verizon pre-paid phone for 6 months before I moved here and I know that number has been recycled.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

On my way!,
Thanks for posting those setting pages.  I may have found my issue/s.  
Under voicemail & Text the last line I had checked,…Allow automated Google systems to analyze……
Also under PHONES for some reason I had never unchecked Home.
Not sure which one or both may be my issue.  But later tonight I will do a test and see if it now works with BoA. 

• Like 1