Cell phone now needed for Social Security AND Bank login

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That is not good.   Has anyone tried getting the security code from Fidelity Brokerage, by text to Google Voice?

I set up a Fidelity account about a month ago and they are serious about security, which is great from my perspective.

What Fidelity uses for two-factor authentication is Symantec VIP Access which is an app that runs on one's Android or iOS device.

Unfortunately, Fidelity doesn't to a great job of informing it's clients of its existence - I stumbled across it while looking for something else.

An app like Symantec VIP Access (or Google Authenticator) generates the codes **ON ONE'S PHONE**, which is the most secure way to handle two-factor authentication and the most reliable since, if one loses the phone, all one needs to do is get a new phone (not necessarily a new, or any, cellular account) and re-initialize the Symantec VIP Access app.

Obviously, since the app runs on a smart phone and a smart phone **DOES NOT** necessarily require cell service to perform 99.9% of what it's capable of doing, or even making phone calls, so long as wi-fi is available, that's great for those abroad or those who don't need (or want to pay for) cell service.

Setting up (or re-initializing) the VIP Access with Fidelity requires a call to Fidelity support, but they answer the phone quickly, are native speakers of English which helps when one needs somewhat technical assistance, and they are friendly.

Oh, and once Google gets farther along on their project to allow Android apps to run natively on their Chrome operating system (Chromebook), I would expect Android authenticator apps to run on Chromebooks. Then those of us who **REALLY** care about digital security will be in hog heaven!

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If I understand it correctly:

1.  A bank sends a code to your Google Voice number

2.  Google Voice forwards it to your old Verizon number

3.  You old Verizon number forwards it back to Gmail?

If so, you have an extra loop in there that may be fooling the system.  What happens if your old Verizon number stops working?  I'm surprised that it still does.  I had a Verizon pre-paid phone for 6 months before I moved here and I know that number has been recycled.

Looking at the options I agree it looks like it is a loop. When I actually did it my intent was (and what I thought I did) was to move all numbers to the GV number, being a business owner I had many contacts who had my Verizon number but I saw no reason to contact everyone I had ever talked to with a change of number. So, if any old contact called my Verizon number it would forward to GV and email me voicemails and texts. All current contacts and accounts I only gave the GV number.

I don't think you can blame me not wanting to change anything for fear of "fixing" something and breaking what is working for me now. 

• Like 1

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

I might have found the difference*. Working backwards, under "Billing", I have Central time zone. Under "Calls" I have call  screening off and you can recheck the spam box, mine is checked also. Under "Voicemail and Text" no difference. *Under "Phones" Google Chat is not checked, my Verizon phone is checked, and under that Receive text messages on this phone and Notify me of new voicemails via text is checked also. 

My Verizon phone number is still active although I have not had the sim installed in over a year. All phone calls and texts to this number have been forwarded to google for years and only old business contacts have the Verizon number. All my accounts have the GV number only. Keeping that active or not using Google chat (just gmail) is my guess to how I am successful. 

FYI, Verizon's system uses CDMA which is why your phone will work without the SIM card installed.

Verizon phones **CAN** be set to use GSM (SIM card) for those travelling outside the U.S. where GSM is the norm in most of the world.

And, if Verizon's **SYSTEM** or your phone is receiving and forwarding texts to GV, that would explain why GV **SEEMS** to work for you.

I have my GV number registered with BofA to use SafePass and, while I **CAN** get the SMS to verify the **PHONE NUMBER**, I don't get the actual SafePass verification SMS on GV.

I know that GV will now work with shortcodes, so I know that isn't the problem.

I still think that BofA SafePass won't send verification SMS to a phone number **UNLESS** that numbered is registered to a U.S. cell provider, ie; not a "virtual" or VoIP number.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

And, if Verizon's **SYSTEM** or your phone is receiving and forwarding texts to GV, that would explain why GV **SEEMS** to work for you.

Verizon shouldn't be seeing anything. All my current contacts only have my GV number, including BoA which I verified when this thread started. BoA is sending a text to my GV number which I recieve in my gmail. I have not received a text or call from anyone dialing my Verizon number for a few years now. 

On my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5), the Verizon sim is packed away and my prepaid Globe sim is installed. I only recieve Philippine texts/calls on the phone now (unless I use data/wifi and open gmail to see GV calls/texts).

intrepid
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

I have my GV number registered with BofA to use SafePass and, while I **CAN** get the SMS to verify the **PHONE NUMBER**, I don't get the actual SafePass verification SMS on GV.

Well, I just conducted my test with BoA using GV with the new settings.  I got the same results as GJD.  I received the code to verify the phone.  However, once requesting a safePass code,...no joy.:Mad:  Well back to my default settings.  Send the codes to my daughters phone and just have her forward to me.  At least I have that option.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

I set up a Fidelity account about a month ago

What you may not be aware of because you have not moved yet, is that Fidelity no longer wants customers who do not live in the U.S.  If they detect that you are living outside the U.S., they may lock your account from buying and only allow sales.  Other brokers I checked (only 1 or 2) were going the same route.  They don't want us.  Why, would be another discussion.

1 hour ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

What Fidelity uses for two-factor authentication is Symantec VIP Access which is an app that runs on one's Android or iOS device.

I guess that is one form available, but the other form was just started in July.  They will send a text code to your registered cell phone number to do certain activities.  Certainly for external transfers but they said it even could be for login, but that is probably for an unrecognized device.  I'm curious if the VIP will override this new system?  Probably.  However, again, if you are overseas, there may be problems.  BTW, it says they have a desktop computer version of VIP as well.

In your other post, you mentioned 3 options and #3 was:

"3. The third option is to get an inexpensive **UNLOCKED** **GSM** smartphone (usable on AT&T or T-Mobile, in the U.S.), WITH WI-FI capability and get JUST a voice plan and text - NO DATA. Ask a reliable friend or family member to allow your phone to be plugged into an AC outlet and connect to their wi-fi. Then install an app called PushBullet on the phone. "

This is starting to look more attractive to me.  I could use my sister or someone, but bothering them all the time would be a pain.  Do you have any suggestions for phones and plans?  What kind of cheapy plan would work?  A pre-paid plan where you pay for a year in advance or something like that?  I have no clue about U.S. plans anymore.

The AlwaysRt accidental workaround is interesting too, but I don't think it will work forever.

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted

1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm curious if the VIP will override this new system?  Probably.  However, again, if you are overseas, there may be problems.  BTW, it says they have a desktop computer version of VIP as well.

I don't think it's a matter necessarily of one system overriding another - It's my belief that two-factor authentication adds a desirable additional layer of security and, obviously, a lot of online sites think the same because it's becoming more popular. The problem for the sites that are providing it is getting users to adopt it and I think for most users the SMS-to-the-cell-phone route is easily understood and a good first step.

For those users who are more sophisticated or who have different requirements, e.g; living overseas, sites offer the app option. Probably, at some point, as users become more trusting of using an app, I would expect the SMS verification to dwindle and disappear.

One of my job responsibilities is to manage an IT department, so I know first-hand how difficult it is to get users to adopt new technologies - I'm frequently asked by co-workers to make recommendations on tech-related issues and most of the time my recommendations on security-related topics, such as two-factor authentication, are listened to politely and ignored.

As well, it's probably less expensive for sites to "outsource" the verification generation to an app because that can be done for, essentially, just a license fee. In the Google ecosystem, one can set up Google Authenticator authentication without talking to a person.

• Like 1

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted

What you may not be aware of because you have not moved yet, is that Fidelity no longer wants customers who do not live in the U.S.  If they detect that you are living outside the U.S., they may lock your account from buying and only allow sales.

I did become aware of Fidelity's policy of not soliciting business from non-U.S. residents and placing limits on the activities of U.S. citizens resident abroad because, from time-to-time I use a VPN with a Canadian IP address because I get better network performance, so Fidelity showed me the "Non-U.S. Residents Page."

I do, however, appreciate the heads-up.

Once I move overseas, I intend to maintain a U.S. residence address and legal domicile in Florida because the future is uncertain and I may have to come back at some point.

Fidelity, and Charles Schwab as well, don't seem to care if one "travels" abroad, so long as they are informed.

So, if one were truly resident abroad with no real ties to the U.S., when one wanted to take advantage of, for example, Fidelity's foreign ATM surcharge reimbursement, one could certainly go online and indicate that one is "traveling" for a period of time and "take care of business" during that window.

I would think that Fidelity, Schwab, etc. would have relatively many clients that travel frequently and extensively, so multiple travel alerts are probably routine for those folks.

• Like 2

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted

"3. The third option is to get an inexpensive **UNLOCKED** **GSM** smartphone (usable on AT&T or T-Mobile, in the U.S.), WITH WI-FI capability and get JUST a voice plan and text - NO DATA. Ask a reliable friend or family member to allow your phone to be plugged into an AC outlet and connect to their wi-fi. Then install an app called PushBullet on the phone. "

This is starting to look more attractive to me.  I could use my sister or someone, but bothering them all the time would be a pain.  Do you have any suggestions for phones and plans?  What kind of cheapy plan would work?  A pre-paid plan where you pay for a year in advance or something like that?  I have no clue about U.S. plans anymore.

I have always been a GSM (T-Mobile and AT&T in the U.S) man because I like the ability to simply switch a SIM card from phone to phone without having to log in to a website or speak to a Customer Service Rep to swap (activate) phones as must be done with a CDMA carrier (Verizon, Sprint, and some of the small players in the U.S.).

As well, the rest of the world outside the U.S. uses GSM and, because GSM **VOICE** frequencies are the same world-wide, my U.S. GSM phone will work for **VOICE** anywhere in the world by swapping in a local SIM card.

As far as recommendations for a specific phone go, the models change so frequently that it wouldn't be helpful to mention a specific model.

However, all one really needs is a **SMARTPHONE**, so I would recommend an Android phone - Great as iPhones are, no point in spending that kind of money for this task. And since all that needs to run on the phone is **ONE** app, for example, PushBullet, it doesn't need to be a flagship phone.

The phone should be **UNLOCKED** since you may need to swap from one network to another (AT&T to T-Mobile) in the U.S. or you may decide to take the phone outside the U.S. at some point.

I will go so far as to make recommendations on cell phone manufacturers - Asus makes some nice inexpensive unlocked phones (the one I'm currently using is a Zenfone 2), it's always a good idea to check what Google is offering at the Play Store, I have a couple of One Plus phones that are nice because they have enhanced security and their models usually have outside-U.S. **4G / LTE** frequencies, a company called BLU makes lower-end Android phones and, depending on where one is located, they are stocked in stores like MicroCenter. Huawei is also a brand to watch - I have one of their Mate 2 and love it.

Amazon is one's friend when it comes to getting unlocked low-end Android phones and is usually where I get mine, except for Google Nexus (Play Store) or OnePlus (direct from their site).

As for the cell plan, keep in mind that all one **REALLY** needs is a texting (SMS) plan, but I don't think it's possible to get just that. I think one must get voice as well.

As long as one has a friend or family member that will allow the phone to be connected to their wi-fi, one **DOES NOT** need a data plan.

I have a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go plan and line from the old days that I keep active, so I would recommend T-Mobile. Their pay-as-you-go plan is as simple as one can get: buy load and pay for each SMS sent or received and pay for each minute of voice usage. None of the other bulls**t that other providers try.

One can buy T-Mobile load cards at Walmart or one can reload the phone from the T-Mobile website using a credit card - can't get any simpler.

One thing to keep in mind that load expires after a certain period of time depending on the amount one loads.

In my case, I've been with them so long that, once I loaded USD 100, my subsequent loads last for one year, ie; I put USD 10 on it once per year and my balance won't expire so long as I reload before the reload date the following year.

I just took a **VERY** brief look at the T-Mobile website to see their current pay-as-you-go options and the landing page showed an offer of USD 3 per month for 30 minutes of talk or 30 texts or any combination with additional minutes of talk or additional texts at USD 0.10. That plan can probably be set to auto renew each month using a credit card.

Another option, if one has a friend or family member with a family plan is to get just a voice line (which will include text) through them on their plan. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

I have always been a GSM (T-Mobile and AT&T in the U.S) man because I like the ability to simply switch a SIM card from phone to phone without having to log in to a website or speak to a Customer Service Rep to swap (activate) phones as must be done with a CDMA carrier (Verizon, Sprint, and some of the small players in the U.S.).

As well, the rest of the world outside the U.S. uses GSM and, because GSM **VOICE** frequencies are the same world-wide, my U.S. GSM phone will work for **VOICE** anywhere in the world by swapping in a local SIM card.

As far as recommendations for a specific phone go, the models change so frequently that it wouldn't be helpful to mention a specific model.

However, all one really needs is a **SMARTPHONE**, so I would recommend an Android phone - Great as iPhones are, no point in spending that kind of money for this task. And since all that needs to run on the phone is **ONE** app, for example, PushBullet, it doesn't need to be a flagship phone.

The phone should be **UNLOCKED** since you may need to swap from one network to another (AT&T to T-Mobile) in the U.S. or you may decide to take the phone outside the U.S. at some point.

I will go so far as to make recommendations on cell phone manufacturers - Asus makes some nice inexpensive unlocked phones (the one I'm currently using is a Zenfone 2), it's always a good idea to check what Google is offering at the Play Store, I have a couple of One Plus phones that are nice because they have enhanced security and their models usually have outside-U.S. **4G / LTE** frequencies, a company called BLU makes lower-end Android phones and, depending on where one is located, they are stocked in stores like MicroCenter. Huawei is also a brand to watch - I have one of their Mate 2 and love it.

Amazon is one's friend when it comes to getting unlocked low-end Android phones and is usually where I get mine, except for Google Nexus (Play Store) or OnePlus (direct from their site).

As for the cell plan, keep in mind that all one **REALLY** needs is a texting (SMS) plan, but I don't think it's possible to get just that. I think one must get voice as well.

As long as one has a friend or family member that will allow the phone to be connected to their wi-fi, one **DOES NOT** need a data plan.

I have a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go plan and line from the old days that I keep active, so I would recommend T-Mobile. Their pay-as-you-go plan is as simple as one can get: buy load and pay for each SMS sent or received and pay for each minute of voice usage. None of the other bulls**t that other providers try.

One can buy T-Mobile load cards at Walmart or one can reload the phone from the T-Mobile website using a credit card - can't get any simpler.

One thing to keep in mind that load expires after a certain period of time depending on the amount one loads.

In my case, I've been with them so long that, once I loaded USD 100, my subsequent loads last for one year, ie; I put USD 10 on it once per year and my balance won't expire so long as I reload before the reload date the following year.

I just took a **VERY** brief look at the T-Mobile website to see their current pay-as-you-go options and the landing page showed an offer of USD 3 per month for 30 minutes of talk or 30 texts or any combination with additional minutes of talk or additional texts at USD 0.10. That plan can probably be set to auto renew each month using a credit card.

Another option, if one has a friend or family member with a family plan is to get just a voice line (which will include text) through them on their plan. 

GJD, fantastic information!  Thanks for taking the time!  I was looking at the AT&T site earlier but had not made it over to T-mobile.  I was looking at phones on Amazon and there are a lot of GSM phones for as low as $15.