Cell phone now needed for Social Security AND Bank login

davewe
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

Not discounting what the branch manager said, but I have never seen an option for getting the BofA SafePass code via e-mail on the SafePass section of the BofA website, so I would think it prudent to double-check that with the SafePass folks.

I use SafePass for two-factor authentication for **ALL** online transactions at BofA, ie; I have my account set up so that I must enter a SafePass code in addition to my logon credentials.

it is my understanding that **most** transactions **most** of the time can be done on the website without a Safepass code, but there are certain things, such as setting up a new bill payee, executing a wire transfer, or having a higher transfer limit that require a SafePass code - and, I would think, there might be the occasional time when the BofA website doesn't "recognize" one's computer or it "sees" that one is using a "foreign" IP address and then wants one to enter a confirmation code.

Offhand, I know that Chase will send a code to an e-mail address.

Fidelity uses Symantec VIP Access app on a smartphone.

Alliant Credit Union uses an additional security question, from a fairly long list, to which one has previously provided answers.

Citi doesn't uses TFA for personal accounts.

The following website seems to be up to date, based on my knowledge for accounts that I have:

https://twofactorauth.org/

This is all great information - thanks. The Manager actually showed me where I could change my preferences - it was buried under several layers - and said she would be happy to do it for me when it was nearing time for me to move. But it's true I don't have double authentication set up currently.

And you certainly may be correct that more complex transactions might require something else. She did say I could definitely do wire transfers this way when abroad, which is the most complex scenario I could think of at the time. 

• Like 1

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, davewe said:

I went into my Bank of America branch and told them about my future plan to live in the Philippines 

That made me stop and think and, based on what some other BMs have posted when they did something similar and not picking on you, in the current regulatory environment that financial institutions face, it's probably not a great idea to tell one's financial institution that one is "living" overseas.

The way that I present my situation to financial folks when it comes up is that "When I retire, I'm planning to travel extensively outside the U.S. for an extended period of time."

Not a lie, since I **am** planning to maintain both my permanent residence and legal domicile in the U.S. - like when I was in the Navy and PCS to Clark

Matter of semantics I know - "living in the PI" versus "extended travel to and within the PI and neighboring countries" but, as has been said before, it's not what one says but how one says it.

• Like 3

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, davewe said:

This is all great information - thanks. The Manager actually showed me where I could change my preferences - it was buried under several layers - and said she would be happy to do it for me when it was nearing time for me to move. But it's true I don't have double authentication set up currently.

And you certainly may be correct that more complex transactions might require something else. She did say I could definitely do wire transfers this way when abroad, which is the most complex scenario I could think of at the time. 

Thanks for the info - I'll dig a little into the website.

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

That made me stop and think and, based on what some other BMs have posted when they did something similar and not picking on you, in the current regulatory environment that financial institutions face, it's probably not a great idea to tell one's financial institution that one is "living" overseas.

The way that I present my situation to financial folks when it comes up is that "When I retire, I'm planning to travel extensively outside the U.S. for an extended period of time."

Not a lie, since I **am** planning to maintain both my permanent residence and legal domicile in the U.S. - like when I was in the Navy and PCS to Clark

Matter of semantics I know - "living in the PI" versus "extended travel to and within the PI and neighboring countries" but, as has been said before, it's not what one says but how one says it.

Since I am a year (maybe less) from the move I have "chosen" to tell everyone the truth and ask what issues might arise. This is true of our 2 banks, credit cards, and Fidelity which has my IRA. If I see any red flags or get any hemming and hawing, this gives me plenty of time to change my strategy (or change banks) and not find out at some point later when I live there.

I am not a Boy Scout:smile:. I just figure they will all want my money - and if they want to keep it they'd better help me or at the very least disclose what issues I might have when abroad.

BTW, the biggest issue the manager wanted to make sure I understood was that if I kept the account for a year without a transaction - well that's a problem. I assured her there would continue to be plenty of transactions.

If to keep everyone happy I need to maintain some sort of US addy, I will, but that's another issue. 

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

"However, multifactor authentication inconvenienced or restricted access to some of our account holders. We’re listening to your concerns and are responding by temporarily rolling back this mandate.

Translation:

"The bonehead overpaid bureaucrat who implemented this policy was so incompetent and so out of touch with reality that he didn't realized that there are thousands of retired American living abroad that will be locked out of the system".

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Mr. Bobo said:

Translation:

"The bonehead overpaid bureaucrat who implemented this policy was so incompetent and so out of touch with reality that he didn't realized that there are thousands of retired American living abroad that will be locked out of the system".

The quote above this post wasn't mine.

I strongly have to lean in Mr. Bobo's direction on this. Foreigners outside the country and elderly people without smart phones, and possibly those with smart phones who don't know how they work. I wouldn't be likely to deal with Social Security online as I don't like entering anything I really want kept private on an electronic device but it would be nice to be able to do it if I ever needed to in about 12 years.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/23/2016 at 3:09 AM, davewe said:

Since I am a year (maybe less) from the move I have "chosen" to tell everyone the truth and ask what issues might arise. This is true of our 2 banks, credit cards, and Fidelity which has my IRA. If I see any red flags or get any hemming and hawing, this gives me plenty of time to change my strategy (or change banks) and not find out at some point later when I live there.

I am not a Boy Scout:smile:. I just figure they will all want my money - and if they want to keep it they'd better help me or at the very least disclose what issues I might have when abroad.

BTW, the biggest issue the manager wanted to make sure I understood was that if I kept the account for a year without a transaction - well that's a problem. I assured her there would continue to be plenty of transactions.

If to keep everyone happy I need to maintain some sort of US addy, I will, but that's another issue. 

Dave, what did Fidelity say when you told them you them you would be living in PH?

davewe
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Dave, what did Fidelity say when you told them you them you would be living in PH?

They said, "Good luck getting any of your money.":56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

But seriously, I spoke to them last year in general terms about my plans. I will meet with them soon to get more complete answers and build the best strategies.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/11/2016 at 9:45 PM, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

The app I found and tested is called PhoneLeash

I downloaded Phoneleash to my PH phone and everything seems to be fine.  I tested it and I did receive the texts in my e-mail.  My new U.S. phone arrived in the U.S. and this weekend my sister will have time to work with me to set everything up.  As long as the new T-mobile phone gets a good signal at her house, I should be good to go.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I downloaded Phoneleash to my PH phone and everything seems to be fine.  I tested it and I did receive the texts in my e-mail.  My new U.S. phone arrived in the U.S. and this weekend my sister will have time to work with me to set everything up.  As long as the new T-mobile phone gets a good signal at her house, I should be good to go.

If I understand correctly, you purchased a t-mobile cheap phone, post pay plan.  Any of the places sending a computer generated text will be sent to that number and you will have it set-up to forward to your Philippine phone through the Phoneleash app?  If this is correct, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in the results and also the initial cost and annual costs.  Sounds cool