Cell phone now needed for Social Security AND Bank login

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Just got done chatting with T-mobile.  I learned what I think someone already posted that the prepaid plans will not work internationally.  You must have a monthly plan and cost would be $50.00 monthly.  Hence why the US phone only with forwarding.  I'm sometimes a slow learner.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

If you are going to leave a phone at someone's house in the U.S., it is probably best that it does NOT have int'l service.  You never know who might pick it up and make a call to Sydney or?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If you are going to leave a phone at someone's house in the U.S., it is probably best that it does NOT have int'l service.  You never know who might pick it up and make a call to Sydney or?

Since you mention it is a prepaid phone then would they not have to pay for that call in advance?  So would it really matter to you?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Since you mention it is a prepaid phone then would they not have to pay for that call in advance?  So would it really matter to you?

No, if the phone has pre-paid load and Int'l is allowed, they could make a call and quickly use the load.

• Like 3

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, intrepid said:

Just got done chatting with T-mobile.  I learned what I think someone already posted that the prepaid plans will not work internationally.  You must have a monthly plan and cost would be $50.00 monthly.  Hence why the US phone only with forwarding.  I'm sometimes a slow learner.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Some things to think about if one decides to take one's home phone roaming with the intention of getting verification SMS on it:

When I first started looking into the problem, using roaming was my first thought; however, sending SMS internationally isn't rock-solid because of the differences among different countries' cellular systems.

The other major drawback is that if something happens to one's phone while abroad, such as the phone failing, getting lost, stolen, etc. it would be a catastrophe for an expat - maybe not such a big deal for someone just visiting.

That being said, T-Mobile, because it has a worldwide presence, is probably the best carrier for roaming abroad.

My specific plan offers unlimited international data and text while roaming and calls are USD 0.20 / minute. - There is fine print regarding the data, however.

For folks who have Verizon, I came across something last week that might be of interest to them: Verizon Messenger.

I didn't look into it in great detail because I'm sticking with T-Mobile and having a second Verizon line is just too expensive but as I understand it, with Verizon Messenger, any SMS sent to a Verizon cell number are also sent to a Verizon server that syncs the SMS with any devices one has registered to access the Verizon Messenger website. So, as I understand it, one could "see" the SMS from a web browser logged in to the Messenger site.

I did not actually test it, but I did question a couple of CSRs at my local Verizon store and they were certain that is how Meesenger works.

It sounds as if, so long as one pays the bill each month, the phone could be turned off sitting in a drawer and one would still get all SMS at the Messenger website.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've got my new U.S. T-mobile cell phone set up at my sister's house in California.  It is sitting in her guest room window with a good signal.  Phoneleash is installed and all of my test texts were received in my Yahoo mail in seconds.

Next step is change my banking telephone numbers to this new number.

I'm leaving the phone unplugged to test the battery life.  Phoneleash will send me an e-mail when it is low batt, which is probably around 15%.

So, total cost for this was $19.99 for the phone + a required $50 load card = $70.  That will last about 16 months at $3 a month, before I need to start spending $3 a month to keep in loaded.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
anthonytt
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2016 at 6:25 PM, OnMyWay said:

Thanks for the heads up!  I have not received the e-mail yet but I also have not logged in there in a long time.  I'll go give it a try right now.

Humnnm...I was always allowed to access myssa account online in USA. But soon as I officially moved to Philippines they would not allow me to access it anymore. Even using a US VPN. I'll have to try it again. I still have my US phone which is an expensive hassle but I'm afraid to cancel it. SSA does call my Philippines number when they need to reach me. 

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2016 at 3:03 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

So I shall need a way to get the code number.  What a pain.  I can change bank accounts in Canada but what if the other banks institute the same security measures.  Hmmmm.  Anyone else with this problem.  How would you deal with it.

In response to your OP, if the issue has not been resolved for you, BMO allows you to input 10 numbers on which to get the verification code, Canadian or Philippine landlines voice mail in French or English and Canadian or Philippine cell phones by text. I can log in to my BMO bank account with just a password and sometimes to my Investorline, but maybe once in 10, it requires a verification code. I use the landlines and no matter if in PI or in Canada, in less than .5 second, the phone rings with the code. You get 10 minutes to input the code.

TD does not ask for a code as of yet.

BDO has a similar set up except it gives you the option of a verification code or a pre-set up challenge question. BDO will send a free text to a Canadian cell phone as well.

If you need to call your Canadian bank from PI, using Skype, it is 2.4 cents per minute.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, jpbago said:

In response to your OP

Hello jp.  I went back to Canada and opened an account with CIBC.  They have the option to send me the security code via email and I don't mind that.  I could not do that from the Philippines as they need to call me at my home number in Canada to set it up and then I am good to go.

• 2 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/4/2016 at 0:00 PM, OnMyWay said:

I've got my new U.S. T-mobile cell phone set up at my sister's house in California.  It is sitting in her guest room window with a good signal.  Phoneleash is installed and all of my test texts were received in my Yahoo mail in seconds.

Next step is change my banking telephone numbers to this new number.

I'm leaving the phone unplugged to test the battery life.  Phoneleash will send me an e-mail when it is low batt, which is probably around 15%.

So, total cost for this was $19.99 for the phone + a required $50 load card = $70.  That will last about 16 months at $3 a month, before I need to start spending $3 a month to keep in loaded.

The main reason I set up this phone was to get codes via text message from Fidelity, my broker.  I finally thought I would need it just now.  I did an external transfer to another bank, which is one of the actions they said would probably need a text code.

No code asked for yet.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):  Oh well, I'm ready for a code someday!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm ready for a code someday!

I think I fixed my problem, for now.  I switched to another bank that allows the code to be sent via email OR text so I get the codes on my email now.  

• Like 5