Cell phone now needed for Social Security AND Bank login

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, intrepid said:

If I understand correctly, you purchased a t-mobile cheap phone, post pay plan.  Any of the places sending a computer generated text will be sent to that number and you will have it set-up to forward to your Philippine phone through the Phoneleash app?  If this is correct, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in the results and also the initial cost and annual costs.  Sounds cool

Gentleman Jack did all the legwork!

It is a pre-paid T-mobile plan for only $3 a month for 30 min or 30 text, which don't even need to be used.  The Phoneleash app will send the forwarded text via wifi.  I will try one of the other similar apps too, so there is redundancy.

This is the cheap phone:

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/zte-avid-plus-prepaid

$19.99 + $50 card, which will last about 16 months.

A cool feature of Phoneleash is that it will also send you messages about your phone.  I got a message that my phone is low-batt, which will be good when the new phone is sitting at my sister's house.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I got a message that my phone is low-batt,

Yeah but many phones do that, I ave a Nocia X1 and it tells me Low batt

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yeah but many phones do that, I ave a Nocia X1 and it tells me Low batt

I don't think I was clear.  I meant that the app will send me an e-mail when the phone gives the phone low-batt message.  Also when the phone is turned off or turned on.  These are all optional and would be useless if you have your phone, but if the phone is not with you, they become useful.  I think it can also locate your phone but I have not looked into that yet.

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

If I understand correctly, you purchased a t-mobile cheap phone, post pay plan.  Any of the places sending a computer generated text will be sent to that number and you will have it set-up to forward to your Philippine phone through the Phoneleash app?  If this is correct, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in the results and also the initial cost and annual costs.  Sounds cool

It doesn't necessarily have to be a T-Mobile phone - There are plenty of inexpensive, UNLOCKED GSM (T-Mobile or AT&T in the USA) that will work. The advantage of GSM phones is that the SIM card can be switched from phone to phone if, for example, a phone fails and there's no need to "activate" the new phone through a website or by visiting a store as one must do with a CDMA (Verizon, Sprint, etc. in the U.S) phone.

A post-pay plan will work, but I think for this purpose, a pre-pay plan is a better option since, at least with T-Mobile, one can get a very cheap plan and pay for only what is used at USD 0.10 per text. Since the specific problem that this scheme is meant to solve is SMS confirmation codes, there shouldn't be many texts in any given month, so the cost should be minimal.

I would recommend **AGAINST** having one's "confirmation code phone" that is located in the U.S. attempt to forward the SMS confirmation code to one's "overseas" phone simply because there are a lot of problems forwarding SMS internationally due to differences among individual countries' cellular systems, one's phone being out of load or turned off, etc.

I believe that it's much simpler and more reliable to have Phone leash forward the SMS to an e-mail account, my recommendation being Google GMail because it's very reliable, which one can then see on one's "overseas" phone, laptop, etc. so long as one can get into the e-mail account.

Because PhoneLeash is an app that runs on one's Android or iOS phone, the phone itself isn't a big issue, but I think cheaper is better; as well, the cell carrier isn't a big deal, as long as it's a U.S. carrier - I just suggest T-Mobile because I've been with them for a long time, they run a GSM network, they are a world-wide carrier, and they have the cheapest and simplest "pay-as-you-go" that **DOES NOT** require a data plan simply because one is using a smartphone, as do some other cell carriers.

This scheme will certainly work with other carriers and other smartphones - as they say "it's up to you".

• Like 1

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I downloaded Phoneleash to my PH phone and everything seems to be fine.  I tested it and I did receive the texts in my e-mail.  My new U.S. phone arrived in the U.S. and this weekend my sister will have time to work with me to set everything up.  As long as the new T-mobile phone gets a good signal at her house, I should be good to go.

I think I might need to clarify something here:

One **DOES NOT** need to have PhoneLeash installed on one's "overseas" phone for the confirmation SMS forwarding scheme to work.

One **DOES** need to have PhoneLeash installed on one's U.S phone to work.

Phoneleash simply forwards any texts received on a phone, in this scheme a confirmation SMS phone located in the U.S., to **EITHER** another cell number **OR** an e-mail address.

PhoneLeash **DOES NOT** function like, for example, PushBullet, where SMS received on a confirmation phone located in the U.S. are uploaded to a central server which then allows one to see the SMS by using a web browser and logging into the central server.

This difference is something to keep in mind because, once PhoneLeash forwards the SMS, it's conceivable that one **MIGHT NOT** receive the SMS due to a variety of factors, eg; if one is forwarding to another cell number, the SMS might get lost if the "forward to" cell phone is turned off and the cell carriers "retry" time limit is reached.

OnMyWay: if you have PhoneLeash installed on your PH phone because you need it there, I apologize for the additional clarification. Just want to ensure that I don't mislead or confuse anyone.

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Gentleman Jack did all the legwork!

It is a pre-paid T-mobile plan for only $3 a month for 30 min or 30 text, which don't even need to be used.  The Phoneleash app will send the forwarded text via wifi.  I will try one of the other similar apps too, so there is redundancy.

This is the cheap phone:

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/zte-avid-plus-prepaid

$19.99 + $50 card, which will last about 16 months.

A cool feature of Phoneleash is that it will also send you messages about your phone.  I got a message that my phone is low-batt, which will be good when the new phone is sitting at my sister's house.

I would suggest keeping the phone plugged in to AC so that one doesn't impose too much on one's family's or trusted friend's goodwill in having to "mind" the phone.

I'd also consider removing the battery, if possible, since batteries tend to fail if they're not discharged and recharged routinely. Although by leaving the battery in, one would have redundancy in the event of a power outage.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

One **DOES NOT** need to have PhoneLeash installed on one's "overseas" phone for the confirmation SMS forwarding scheme to work.

One **DOES** need to have PhoneLeash installed on one's U.S phone to work.

Yes, I was assuming that everyone has been following this very long thread, which is a big assumption.  The only reason for installing PhoneLeash on my PH phone was to get familiar with it and test it.

37 minutes ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be a T-Mobile phone

I decided to go with the T-mobile phone because the price was right at $20 and I had a similar ZTE before that was a solid little phone.  And, I only needed to make one transaction to get the phone and SIM card.  Free shipping too.

13 minutes ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

I would suggest keeping the phone plugged in to AC so that one doesn't impose too much on one's family's or trusted friend's goodwill in having to "mind" the phone.

I'd also consider removing the battery, if possible, since batteries tend to fail if they're not discharged and recharged routinely. Although by leaving the battery in, one would have redundancy in the event of a power outage.

I'm not sure which way I will go yet and I will get input from my sister.  Leaving it plugged in is the easiest but some people think that is wasting electricity and/or can damage the battery.  I don't think that is true on modern phones.  Removing the battery is an option as they don't really have power outages at my sister's house in California.  If I leave it unplugged, the specs say it has 14 day standby and this one case (no use to speak of) where the specs might be right.  Phoneleash should e-mail me when it gets to low batt and I will remind my sister to plug it in.  Also, I can e-mail her when I know I have an important transaction coming up.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be a T-Mobile phone - There are plenty of inexpensive, UNLOCKED GSM (T-Mobile or AT&T in the USA) that will work. The advantage of GSM phones is that the SIM card can be switched from phone to phone if, for example, a phone fails and there's no need to "activate" the new phone through a website or by visiting a store as one must do with a CDMA (Verizon, Sprint, etc. in the U.S) phone.

A post-pay plan will work, but I think for this purpose, a pre-pay plan is a better option since, at least with T-Mobile, one can get a very cheap plan and pay for only what is used at USD 0.10 per text. Since the specific problem that this scheme is meant to solve is SMS confirmation codes, there shouldn't be many texts in any given month, so the cost should be minimal.

I would recommend **AGAINST** having one's "confirmation code phone" that is located in the U.S. attempt to forward the SMS confirmation code to one's "overseas" phone simply because there are a lot of problems forwarding SMS internationally due to differences among individual countries' cellular systems, one's phone being out of load or turned off, etc.

I believe that it's much simpler and more reliable to have Phone leash forward the SMS to an e-mail account, my recommendation being Google GMail because it's very reliable, which one can then see on one's "overseas" phone, laptop, etc. so long as one can get into the e-mail account.

Because PhoneLeash is an app that runs on one's Android or iOS phone, the phone itself isn't a big issue, but I think cheaper is better; as well, the cell carrier isn't a big deal, as long as it's a U.S. carrier - I just suggest T-Mobile because I've been with them for a long time, they run a GSM network, they are a world-wide carrier, and they have the cheapest and simplest "pay-as-you-go" that **DOES NOT** require a data plan simply because one is using a smartphone, as do some other cell carriers.

This scheme will certainly work with other carriers and other smartphones - as they say "it's up to you".

I don't intend to throw a big curve into this but.  Since I would only be expecting 1-3 codes per month, I was wondering if I got one of the cheap t-mobile phones like OMY mentioned and used it here in PI on roam.  Only turning it on when I needed to receive a code.  I guess first, would that work, and if so, cost to operate.  Sure would make it much simpler, and not involve or rely another person or app to relay.  Maybe, to use on  international roam you cannot use a pre-paid plan and you would need a post paid plan.  I guess I can go to t-mobile site to find that answer but thinking someone here already knows.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

I don't intend to throw a big curve into this but.  Since I would only be expecting 1-3 codes per month, I was wondering if I got one of the cheap t-mobile phones like OMY mentioned and used it here in PI on roam.  Only turning it on when I needed to receive a code.  I guess first, would that work, and if so, cost to operate.  Sure would make it much simpler, and not involve or rely another person or app to relay.  Maybe, to use on  international roam you cannot use a pre-paid plan and you would need a post paid plan.  I guess I can go to t-mobile site to find that answer but thinking someone here already knows.

The AT&T Tracphone has roaming and it's prepaid.Their coverage is about half the Philippines. I would think that T-mobile would match it. I'm not sure they would charge you anything to receive a text beyond your monthly charge.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, robert k said:

The AT&T Tracphone has roaming and it's prepaid.Their coverage is about half the Philippines. I would think that T-mobile would match it. I'm not sure they would charge you anything to receive a text beyond your monthly charge.

Just got done chatting with T-mobile.  I learned what I think someone already posted that the prepaid plans will not work internationally.  You must have a monthly plan and cost would be $50.00 monthly.  Hence why the US phone only with forwarding.  I'm sometimes a slow learner.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1