Living on a pension

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

But they are all americanized.  There are obvious differences.

Bows My Friend, do you think the Ladies here are any less Americanized? Scratching Head.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
Just because I felt the need ha ha
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

These rates shown below only reflect the US Federal income tax, and there are many additional state, local, etc, taxes in addition - but it is the US income tax that seems to be a lighting rod for tax paying citizens.

I think that the Federal Tax rate is discussed a lot as part of national political discussion that gets the most mainstream news.   The other taxes are often overlooked by citizens but in the end I think most realize that you need to add up all the taxes and look at your overall tax bite.  In most states, it is huge!  I wish there were a time graph of overall taxation but that would be tough to create.  Local city / county taxes, state income tax, sales taxes, gas taxes, real estate taxes, inheritance taxes, etc.  Health care taxes?

I would love to retire in my beautiful home state of California, but I could never afford to.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

There are a lot of Filipinos there.  Many are from the old Navy days...

Most of the filapinas are second, third generation. There families arrive at the turn of the last centry to work on the sugar plantations. When we visited we did the reception and photo shoot with the girl in the grass skirt. You can imagine how disapointed we were when we found out she was a filapina.

virginprune
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bows00 said:

Duh??  That is obvious.  And we also have a lot of Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.  But they are all americanized.  There are obvious differences.

Are you implying that I'm stupid because I answered your statement, wherein there was no mention of Americanisation of said Filipinas. I have noticed that you can be quite discourteous sometimes. That bodes well for for your possible resettlement!

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Most of the filapinas are second, third generation. There families arrive at the turn of the last centry to work on the sugar plantations. When we visited we did the reception and photo shoot with the girl in the grass skirt. You can imagine how disapointed we were when we found out she was a filapina.

How horrible!

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Mike J said:

This post may actually need a new thread, but I will let the moderators make that decision.  

It is not uncommon to hear and/or read complaints about the how the US taxes are so high and seem to JUST KEEP GOING UP.  While the definition of "too high" is very subjective, I always wonder where the "taxes just keep going up" statement comes from.  The actual tax rates would indicate just the opposite.  These rates shown below only reflect the US Federal income tax, and there are many additional state, local, etc, taxes in addition - but it is the US income tax that seems to be a lighting rod for tax paying citizens.  Not my intention not to cause turmoil or post as a troll, but I think it is important to differentiate between objective and subjective views on taxes, spending, programs, etc.  Are taxes too high?  Almost everyone says "Yes".  Is the US tax rate too high?  You can still say "Yes", but that should be qualified by saying they are at historical low if you look at the "rate" over the past 70 or so years.  And let us not forget this historical quote that helps explain why the US has such a huge debt problem;  

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, . . ."

source document: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/10/1343821/-A-99-YEAR-HISTORY-OF-TAX-RATES-IN-AMERICA

Federal_Tax_Rates.jpg?1415654547

Nobody paid those top marginal rates back then bud.

Nobody.

And yes, they are too damned high. When my income tax bill is higher--by a lot--than my mortgage on a nice house including RE taxes and insurance, that is too damned high.

Edited by Reboot

Reboot
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, bows00 said:

But you are forgetting the one thing that Hawaii doesn't have - the Filipina's

Hawaii is full of Filipino(a). It's one of the the largest ethnic groups on the islands. http://www.infoplease.com/us/census/data/hawaii/demographic.html

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This living on a pension topic has reached its expiration date time to retire it.

• Old55 locked this topic
  • Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Automated members message

This topic is now locked awaiting the admins review. Once the topic has been reviewed it may reopen as is or to the admins discretion.