Living on a pension

Domino22
Posted
Posted
On 11/22/2016 at 9:31 AM, bows00 said:

After several trips to the Philippines, I have concluded that money will not be the problem.  Things are cheap there, especially when living outside of major cities (i.e., Manila, Cebu). 

But there are other factors that are preventing my move there - like infrastructure and air pollution.  Currently weighing the pros and cons and leaning towards staying in Hawaii for now and visiting the Philippines for extended periods.   

If you can afford Hawaii never leave. I can not and with that said the islands of the PI rock and for 10 cent on the dollar verse Hawaii.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This post may actually need a new thread, but I will let the moderators make that decision.  

It is not uncommon to hear and/or read complaints about the how the US taxes are so high and seem to JUST KEEP GOING UP.  While the definition of "too high" is very subjective, I always wonder where the "taxes just keep going up" statement comes from.  The actual tax rates would indicate just the opposite.  These rates shown below only reflect the US Federal income tax, and there are many additional state, local, etc, taxes in addition - but it is the US income tax that seems to be a lighting rod for tax paying citizens.  Not my intention not to cause turmoil or post as a troll, but I think it is important to differentiate between objective and subjective views on taxes, spending, programs, etc.  Are taxes too high?  Almost everyone says "Yes".  Is the US tax rate too high?  You can still say "Yes", but that should be qualified by saying they are at historical low if you look at the "rate" over the past 70 or so years.  And let us not forget this historical quote that helps explain why the US has such a huge debt problem;  

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, . . ."

source document: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/10/1343821/-A-99-YEAR-HISTORY-OF-TAX-RATES-IN-AMERICA

Federal_Tax_Rates.jpg?1415654547

Domino22
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Nephi said:

I always thought it would be fun to use a tent like that for camping; either on the beach or at Mt. Pinatubo or Mt. Arayat. Problem is safety. Not exactly like camping back home.

Well maybe a multi cab would cover both. You guys are hard core! I like that!

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2016 at 7:22 PM, Nephi said:

Your government sounds a lot like the US government. They will tax us until we can't survive and then still want more. It never ends it seems. Living in the areas you mentioned on Mindanao, personal safety can be a serious issue. For that reason alone I would suggest having a car with very dark tinted windows. No matter how you look at it, many of those areas are dangerous and especially for a foreigner. Now if you were to live up here on Luzon island, I would suggest you have both a car and a small motorbike. The bike for around town to save on gasoline and the car for any longer rides or trips.

I would suggest that instead of having dark windows in Mindanao, move to another Island!!!!

• Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

Well maybe a multi cab would cover both. You guys are hard core! I like that!

I'm only hard-core with the "idea" of camping and hiking. Here in these islands where human life has little or no value, this would be my idea of ruffing it for a weekend camp out:

17203023_190372054789591_8170697158609686603_n.jpg

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Domino22 said:

If you can afford Hawaii never leave. I can not and with that said the islands of the PI rock and for 10 cent on the dollar verse Hawaii.

But you are forgetting the one thing that Hawaii doesn't have - the Filipina's

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

But you are forgetting the one thing that Hawaii doesn't have - the Filipina's

I am led to believe that there is a substantial Philippine community in Hawaii. I have a number of friends here that have family living there. Anthony Bourdain also did a programme highlighting the Philippine presence.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, virginprune said:

I am led to believe that there is a substantial Philippine community in Hawaii.

According to the OFW's Department, 10 to 12% of Filipino's are abroad so there must be a few near you, they do tend to go where there are others living maybe JJ can answer this when he raises his Head, he and his wife have travelled extensively of late :89:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I am led to believe that there is a substantial Philippine community in Hawaii. I have a number of friends here that have family living there. Anthony Bourdain also did a programme highlighting the Philippine presence.

There are a lot of Filipinos there.  Many are from the old Navy days...

bows00
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, virginprune said:

Duh??  That is obvious.  And we also have a lot of Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.  But they are all americanized.  There are obvious differences.

• Old55 locked this topic