Living on a pension

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nephi said:

Your government sounds a lot like the US government. They will tax us until we can't survive and then still want more. It never ends it seems. Living in the areas you mentioned on Mindanao, personal safety can be a serious issue. For that reason alone I would suggest having a car with very dark tinted windows. No matter how you look at it, many of those areas are dangerous and especially for a foreigner. Now if you were to live up here on Luzon island, I would suggest you have both a car and a small motorbike. The bike for around town to save on gasoline and the car for any longer rides or trips.

In my country is the issue with the health insurance being much bigger than the government taxes for low and middle incomes. Many families spend up to one third of their salaries just for the health insurance premiums even if the government assist them and the insurance is obligatory. And every year the premiums climbs another 5 to 6% while the lower salaries stagnate since many years. Without of the governments assistance many families would have to pay up to half salary just for health insurance. But that aid will be taxed again at the governments taxes. That means that you pay more taxes.

And when you are forced to get social welfare you have to pay that back if you get a bigger salary, win in the lotto or inherit from your parents. In my case it will result in the loss of my mother's house. This results in a forced move from my country because with my small pension living will be impossible without that house.

Edited by Dr. Shiva
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

In my country is the issue with the health insurance being much bigger than the government taxes for low and middle incomes. Many families spend up to one third of their salaries just for the health insurance premiums even if the government assist them and the insurance is obligatory. And every year the premiums climbs another 5 to 6% while the lower salaries stagnate since many years. Without of the governments assistance many families would have to pay up to half salary just for health insurance. But that aid will be taxed again at the governments taxes. That means that you pay more taxes.

And when you are forced to get social welfare you have to pay that back if you get a bigger salary, win in the lotto or inherit from your parents. In my case it will result in the loss of my mother's house. This results in a forced move from my country because with my small pension living will be impossible without that house.

Its the same the world over it seems, you work hard and pay your way in life , and it seems thats not enough,on the other hand dont work have lots of kids, dont give a f---k, and life in your old age is all taken care off. if only i was like that

• Like 5

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

I guess every countries government has their own way of doing things but what you describe sounds extremely harsh and unfair. You should be able to live and do okay here on your retirement income though. One important thing is to make sure you can collect that pension while living outside of your country and once here having it direct deposited to a local bank. Just make sure of the area you want to live in to prevent the expense of a move later on. There are places and areas in country where rent for a small home can be as low as $20.00us dollars per month. Just have to look around and find the right place. Healthcare will eventually be another issue. So finding a truly qualified doctor is important.

A good start in finding a doctor after you move is The Filipino Doctor site. It will list doctors and hospitals in all areas of the country. Living here takes a lot of adjustments and getting use. Takes a good two years to really adjust to some degree; but life can be good in these islands without spending a fortune. Try not to look at it as a last option and instead as a retirement adventure of a lifetime.

Nephi.

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 5

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

The government is paying a lot of my health insurance.  But even then is the living a harsh one. A surprise bill will lead to a big mess in the budget and to a big search about to get help for paying that bill. In addition will the government have the complete control over depend people. If someone have to depend on government is not doing what the government want, they can simply cut the people off any income or lower the social welfare for them.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Domino22
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2016 at 6:22 AM, Nephi said:

Your government sounds a lot like the US government. They will tax us until we can't survive and then still want more. It never ends it seems. Living in the areas you mentioned on Mindanao, personal safety can be a serious issue. For that reason alone I would suggest having a car with very dark tinted windows. No matter how you look at it, many of those areas are dangerous and especially for a foreigner. Now if you were to live up here on Luzon island, I would suggest you have both a car and a small motorbike. The bike for around town to save on gasoline and the car for any longer rides or trips.

I agree with this. But it will be the Visayas for me. Bottom 1/3 of the PI is bad the top 1/3 you got the weather issues. Do not want to live in fear nor do I want to be flooded out. I am 15 months out for my final move. For me Panglao or some where around Dumagete is #1 for now. In 4 weeks I will spend 3 weeks in Palawan I also understand that my health will affect where I end up in a few years. So I may start out in a remote area and move closer to the area I will end up dying.

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

I agree with this. But it will be the Visayas for me. Bottom 1/3 of the PI is bad the top 1/3 you got the weather issues. Do not want to live in fear nor do I want to be flooded out. I am 15 months out for my final move. For me Panglao or some where around Dumagete is #1 for now. In 4 weeks I will spend 3 weeks in Palawan I also understand that my health will affect where I end up in a few years. So I may start out in a remote area and move closer to the area I will end up dying.

Most of the Visayas are good places for quiet living. Long ago I lived on Ticao Island in Masbate province and loved it. No electric power, no running water, and where I was there was not even one cell or land line phone. Just jungle, ocean, snakes, and a bunch of great people. 

Yea, health can be a deciding factor on where to live--especially here. Even here in Central Luzon ya have to be very careful when choosing doctors and hospitals or they can be more dangerous than just staying at home to deal with things. Be very sure to bring with you a complete set of your medical records as the doctors here will not request them as they do there at home. Those records can save time in an ER here and quite possibly save your life if ever needed. 

Nephi

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Domino22 said:

So I may start out in a remote area and move closer to the area I will end up dying.

Like this, maybe:

Cemetery.jpg

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Like this, maybe:

Cemetery.jpg

Retiring and living in a place like these islands ya just never know what might happen. I once saw a foreign guy with a tent almost like that living/staying just outside the Manila North Cemetery. Also saw another guy, an Australian that was homeless sleeping in a small park just outside the Swagman Hotel in Manila several years ago. This guy didn't even have a tent. As we get older and living here in the Philippine it pays to consider long term health. Even if there is not a problem or illness now, anything can happen and having safe and reliable medical care close by can be a life saver.

2016-03-14 11.08.39.jpg

Edited by Nephi
Adjust Photo
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

They got tents here for less than p1,000! That is good on the budget and cheaper than rent...   :tiphat:

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

They got tents here for less than p1,000! That is good on the budget and cheaper than rent...   :tiphat:

I always thought it would be fun to use a tent like that for camping; either on the beach or at Mt. Pinatubo or Mt. Arayat. Problem is safety. Not exactly like camping back home.

• Old55 locked this topic