Is it complicated to buy a motorcycle? How does it work?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

7 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

One thing to watch out for is when you are turning left some twits will still overtake you even if there is plenty of room on the right.

Hm....... It is not a problem except for the Idiots ( I lived in Spain for 15+ years) so other side Driving was OK but it is my wife that seems to think she can drive the car the Same as she does her Motorcycle :89::whistling:

Jack:popcorn:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gator said:

Buying from a dealer, used or new, is a piece of cake.

I guess I never told the story of how I almost bought a used Honda from DuEk Sam on Real street Dumaguete.  It was a sweet deal and I loved it.  I had the cash in my pocket and was ready to buy.  I asked about how THEY would handle the paperwork and she said "Oh, we don't do that because it is a repossession.  The title is still in the original buyers name and we give you a receipt to say we repossessed it and sold it to you and then it is your problem.

But I will agree that it is quite often a piece of cake buying used from a dealer.

• Like 3

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I guess I never told the story of how I almost bought a used Honda from DuEk Sam on Real street Dumaguete.  It was a sweet deal and I loved it.  I had the cash in my pocket and was ready to buy.  I asked about how THEY would handle the paperwork and she said "Oh, we don't do that because it is a repossession.  The title is still in the original buyers name and we give you a receipt to say we repossessed it and sold it to you and then it is your problem.

But I will agree that it is quite often a piece of cake buying used from a dealer.

What would happens to you if you get caught with a repossessed motorbike?

Could be interesting also to know how to recognize such traps.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

SNIP   I asked about how THEY would handle the paperwork and she said "Oh, we don't do that because it is a repossession.  The title is still in the original buyers name and we give you a receipt to say we repossessed it and sold it to you and then it is your problem.

I agree, buying a repo could have some potential pitfalls. Whether or not a dealer will handle the paperwork is, I guess, like many things there dependent on their mood or how much extra you're willing to pay, lol. 

Actually the one I bought (a Racal 150cc dual sport) was a repo.  Based on the advice of a local friend, I had the dealer get the bill of sale notarized (extra 800 pesos to have a notary come there and witness our signatures) and provide me with a copy of the repo order from the bank. I also paid an extra 1k pesos for them to handle the LTO paperwork.

I carried a good clean copy of the bill of sale as well as the repo order and never had a problem at any of the roadside check points (at least not with regards to the legality of the paperwork; paying white guy tax to avoid a citation for some silly infraction, which is never enforced for locals, is a whole different story, lol).

35 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

What would happens to you if you get caught with a repossessed motorbike?

Nothing, as long the bike was legally repossessed and you have the documentation to prove it (see above) as well as that you're now the legal owner. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dave, this isn't per chance the motorcycle you had stolen? I'm just thinking Duma being a small town and someone sees what used to be their bike and it's still in their name? Maybe it's been repossessed twice?

• Like 4

momo034
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gator said:

Actually the one I bought (a Racal 150cc dual sport) was a repo.  Based on the advice of a local friend, I had the dealer get the bill of sale notarized (extra 800 pesos to have a notary come there and witness our signatures) and provide me with a copy of the repo order from the bank. I also paid an extra 1k pesos for them to handle the LTO paperwork.

Hi Gator, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that used Rascal Dual Sport?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 12/14/2016 at 10:14 AM, sonjack2847 said:

I thought I was going to find it difficult transferring to the other side of the road but it was quite easy mate.I did try to drive responsibly but in doing that I was cut up all the time. Now I drive the same way(just not as dangerously) as they do.One thing to watch out for is when you are turning left some twits will still overtake you even if there is plenty of room on the right.

Thanks mate.

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, momo034 said:

Hi Gator, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that used Rascal Dual Sport?

You could look up prices on OLX. Personally I wouldn't go lower on the food chain than Kymco but even the budget priced motorcycles can last quite awhile if you ride it everyday but not too far and maintain them well. I think you would still have problems with the electrical from time to time but turn signals, tail lights, brake lights and headlights are more a novelty in the Philippines anyway. I'd give you the link for OLX but it's a commercial site and I don't want to get chewed out again.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, robert k said:

Personally I wouldn't go lower on the food chain than Kymco

Robert's recommendations on anything with a motor are almost always, (don't wanna say always as it might give him a swelled head HA HA), right on the money and this post is no exception.  I bought a RUSI through necessity.  Its half the price of a similar model Honda.  But the quality is just not there and I would surely prefer a more reputable brand if I could afford it.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Robert's recommendations on anything with a motor are almost always, (don't wanna say always as it might give him a swelled head HA HA), right on the money and this post is no exception.  I bought a RUSI through necessity.  Its half the price of a similar model Honda.  But the quality is just not there and I would surely prefer a more reputable brand if I could afford it.

In addition to maybe giving him a swelled head, it would be an infringement on my copyright to call him always right hahaha

How has your RUSI performed? Have you encountered problems that you wouldn't have has on the Honda version? I am considering a RUSI for my wife.