Is it complicated to buy a motorcycle? How does it work?

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/11/2017 at 8:57 PM, AlwaysRt said:

Even though it is only a requirement on a couple of highways in Metro Manila I have been surprised since my arrival of the lack of 400cc bikes by the major manufacturers as per their respective Philippine websites (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki)

Speaking of 400cc bikes. Is there a large tax on larger displacement bikes. I found this very nice Yamaha SR400 but they want P489,000 for it. I find this same bike in the states for only US$5,999. Am I missing something? Why the nearly $4,000 difference in price?

https://www.olx.ph/item/yamaha-sr400-sport-heritage-moss-green-ID7OInv.html?h=93a6dca354

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Mountain-Motorsports-Roswell-782876/listing/2017-Yamaha-SR400-120805977

Edited by Happyhorn52

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Word of advice for foreigners buying any big ticket item.  Have a local family member or friend you trust go negotiate the price first.  My bunso went to the dealer, negotiated cash price.  Then we went to dealership together with cash and bought the motorcycle, in my case a Honda 2016 CB150R. Set me back 104k PHP.  I also had registration put in my asawa's name.  The fun part has been waiting for the LTO plate.  Now going on 5 mo's and still no plate.  I also found out LTO recently changed requirements for converting foreign licenses.  They said I had to prove I will be in PI's for at least a year, despite me showing them my ACR-I card.  Anyone else run into this recently?

I'll share a bit of my experience of riding a motorcycle here in PI's.

First, I used to race Honda RC-1 (500cc) and CBR600's about 25 years ago at Sears Point and Laguna Seca (speeds up to 180 MPH or 300 KPH) and street bikes for 20+ years.  I've had to use all that experience here and found it's best to drive aggressively.  Although my CB150R only has about 15 HP, I use all of it to accelerating hard and pass quickly.  Passing buses or jeepney's on right is a dangerous move, but sometimes a better option than on passing on left with oncoming traffic.  It's really the tricycles drivers that are the most dangerous.  They are unpredictable, pulling out from side streets (barangay's), blocking, making unexpected wide turns or U turns across the entire road.  

Learn to use a 'pick', a racing move, where one uses using a slower (bigger) vehicle to block for you when turning or crossing intersection.  Also don't be afraid to use any part of the road or even shoulder as needed to either get around a hazard, slow traffic or to give yourself a way out.  In some cases you just have to force your way in, just watch the flow of traffic and blend in.  Most important, like in racing, always hold your line.  Oh yeah, use your horn often to let other traffic know you're there and always keep two finger on that front brake lever ;)   

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

Passing buses or jeepney's on right is a dangerous move, but sometimes a better option than on passing on left with oncoming traffic.

Its tricky.  A couple times I tried to pass on the left when some guy coming the other way pulled out from behind an oncoming vehicle without looking.  Its scary clicking mirrors on motorcycles.  Too close for comfort.  On the other hand, passing a bus or a jeep on the right is dangerous because they neither look nor care who is to the right of them so I only pass on the right when there is an "out" as in a very wide shoulder.

Its fun and a challenge to ride here.

• Like 3

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its tricky.  A couple times I tried to pass on the left when some guy coming the other way pulled out from behind an oncoming vehicle without looking.  Its scary clicking mirrors on motorcycles.  Too close for comfort.  On the other hand, passing a bus or a jeep on the right is dangerous because they neither look nor care who is to the right of them so I only pass on the right when there is an "out" as in a very wide shoulder.

Its fun and a challenge to ride here.

Exactly!  Those drivers of those province buses drive those things like they are Formula-1 cars, weaving in lanes and you see cars, bikes, peds all getting out of the way.  I've seen a few nes videos where those buses plowed into a crowd of people or missed a turn and flipped over.  I had one close call where I knew the bus driver intentionally cut me off because I was looking right into his eyes through the door.  I almost did a "stoppie" braking so hard. 

• Like 1

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Happyhorn,

Wiki for Yamaha Motors says "The SR400 has been marketed in the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) since 1978 and was introduced to Europe, the Americas and Oceania in 2014. Its engine capacity complies with JDM 400 cc licensing restrictions." That said, it appears the SR400 is not marketed/distributed here through Yamaha Motors Philippines, Inc., so maybe the high price reflects the additional customs/duties/taxes as a special import? I don't know, just my guess... Their bikes marketed in the Philippines are listed at http://www.yamaha-motor.com.ph/product/index.html 

I remember asking some of the local bike dealers about availability of the bigger bikes common in the US market shortly after we moved here, the Suzuki and Kawasaki guys even had pricing on "full size" Bandits and Ninjas, but like the SR400, it was ridiculously high and they had to be ordered. I'd be all over an SR400 at a fair price, though, that bike would be perfect here! 

• Like 3

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks SNAFU

I'm just not a Ninja kind of guy. The look great for the younger crowd but not for a Grandpa. I like the looks of the older style bikes and the SR400 would be perfect. That being said my first purchase will probably be the Kawasaki Avenger 220 because of the price. Later I may upgrade to something like the Kawasaki Vulcan S, again because of the price.

Avenger 220 - 102,000P

SR 400 - 489,000P

Vulcan S (650cc) - 360,000P

http://kawasaki.ph/commuter/gallery.php?id=5

https://www.carbay.ph/new-motorcycles/kawasaki/vulcan-s

Edited by Happyhorn52

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Thanks, I hear you Happyhorn, the crotch-rockets are a fleeting dream for me now, too, and would have probably cost me either my wife or my life by now, heh! Yep, the SR400 is perfectly retro/classic, but for price I like your new considerations, too. The Rouser series seems to be popular here, but the seating probably uncomfortable for longer, 2-up rides. I've even thought about some of the larger "business" bikes like the Barako II, they look comfy enough, simple and practical, but again, I have no idea how the limited displacement/gearing would do for longer rural cruises, say 100-125km (without a sidecar, of course). Here's a link to a motorcycle site I just stumbled across, they have a pretty nice forum, but I'm not a member: https://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/forum.php 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Happyhorn52 said:

That being said my first purchase will probably be the Kawasaki Avenger 220 because of the price. Later I may upgrade to something like the Kawasaki Vulcan S, again because of the price.

Avenger 220 - 102,000P

SR 400 - 489,000P

Vulcan S (650cc) - 360,000P

55 minutes ago, SNAFU said:

The Rouser series seems to be popular here, but the seating probably uncomfortable for longer, 2-up rides.  

I went through the exact same issues, test drove a used Avenger 220 but felt under powered (geared funny maybe) and the turning radius was too big to feel safe for in town traffic maneuvering and convenient parking. Ended up with a Rouser 180 last year and modifying the handlebars giving better steering control and a more upright seating position. Longer trips with the wife have been fine. Unfortunately I have to sell it at a p15,000 loss (pm me for more info, sharing me experience, not trying to make this an ad) as I need a dirt bike to take the wife up the mountain to visit her parents. The Rouser is great on pavement but not on rocky dirt roads cut up by ruts and washouts.

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I haven't ridden a bike in years. I will be making the move in a month or so, and just wanted to start out slow and cheap. I'm a big guy, so riding around in someones side car is not an option. I intend to start out in Angeles City then find something a little more beach side as I visit the country. Down the line I will probably break down and buy a car, but wanted to see how I like it here before making big purchases (car & condo)

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

I haven't ridden a bike in years. I will be making the move in a month or so, and just wanted to start out slow and cheap. I'm a big guy, so riding around in someones side car is not an option. I intend to start out in Angeles City then find something a little more beach side as I visit the country. Down the line I will probably break down and buy a car, but wanted to see how I like it here before making big purchases (car & condo)

This was from an earlier post in case you never saw it. I saw one here in army green with metal saddle tanks and raised bars that looked quite nice and comfortable. At 500 cc, single cylinder, and I think 24 hp, it should have plenty of torque. They have a 750 twin as well. It caught my eye as I had 2 Triumph Bonnevilles years ago.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/07/royal-enfiled-opens-dealership-philippines-237777

• Like 1