Get Off Your Butts... Learn Tagalog!!!

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

a Caucasian family.  Mom and dad, mid-30's or early 40's, dark blondish hair, 3 daughters and and 1 son, all with beautiful very light blond hair.

49 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

My wife has friends of Dutch origin

I wonder if they were Dutch (or Danish).

Most Dutch and Danish people I know are fluent in four or five languages. For example my late father-in-law spoke Dutch, German, French, English, and Bahasa Indonesia fluently. Oh yes, and Latin. When he passed away in his 90s he was studying Italian.

It seems the more languages you know the easier it is to acquire another language. And, if your native language is not widely spoken you have an added incentive to learn the languages of your neighbours.

Edited by not so old china hand
Hyphens
  • Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

I wonder if they were Dutch (or Danish).

Most Dutch and Danish people I know are fluent in four or five languages. For example my late father-in-law spoke Dutch, German, French, English, and Bahasa Indonesia fluently. Oh yes, and Latin. When he passed away in his 90s he was studying Italian.

It seems the more languages you know the easier it is to acquire another language. And, if your native language is not widely spoken, you have an added incentive to learn the languages of your neighbours.

Maybe.  If I see them again I will learn more about them.  My 3 year old was ready for a nap and acting up, so I wasn't interested in anything but getting out of the resto without having to pay for damages.  :smile:

My neighbor across the street is Danish and his Tagalog is pretty good.  I'm not sure what other languages he speaks but I'll bet he has a few.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

snowridr
Posted
Posted

Some people might be better off learning another language in a more formalized setting. If you are interested in learning Tagalog or Italian there are classes offered in Manila (Legaspi Village - Makati) for 12 weeks, 3 hours on Saturday mornings for 6000 pesos. (I am not connected to this organization btw) If you are interested you can find them on Facebook @ the Philippine Italian Association.

Notright
Posted
Posted

I live near Manila so most speak decent English, however, I agree with you its to the expat's benefit to learn tagalog. I am working on that now.

• Like 1