Get Off Your Butts... Learn Tagalog!!!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This as with many things, will go round and round in Circles we will all have our own Ideas and try and prove things that are different to others but the fact remains that schools teach in English (Except Filipino Subjects) The Business and Legal Language is English

14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Why forns are in English. For practice reasons I'd imagine. Completely irrelevant to the question.

Of course it is relevant,  any other Language apart for Tagalog would not be able to read them. A Friend of Ours here has already stated that court cases are now held in English. (where the court does not know the language that is trying to be used what can I sayWho knows (dave.jpg That's me on this one My friends, have a good Day 

Jack:smile:

Morning All:photo-109:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Filipino is the national language of the Philippines, with English as the second.

I like how you did that.  :whistling:  You made it look like Filipino language gets more preference than English, where in fact Filipino is listed first but no preference is stated in the constitution.

I agree with Jack that all the legal documents I have seen are written in English, and yet most of the official speeches Duterte gives are in Filipino.  So here is a country truly trying to be bilingual.  I think that can be a good thing, or it can be a bad thing if different parties try to promote that their language should be the priority language and the other is second.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Article xiv, section 7 of the Constitution states that Filipino is the national language of the Philippines, with English as the second. The other 'dialects' are defined as auxiliary. Clearly English is not defined or considered as the only official language.

Why forns are in English. For practice reasons I'd imagine. Completely irrelevant to the question.

I've no idea what the final sentence means - too cryptic for a Saturday morning.

So you are saying the Philippine Constitution places English as a secondary language vs one of the two official languages? And government forms etc are in English for practice? Does that mean the Philippine Constitution itself if just a practice document since it is written in English?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Does that mean the Philippine Constitution itself if just a practice document since it is written in English?

Umm, not a good argument as it is in both.  Here is the Tagalog version

http://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/constitutions/ang-konstitusyon-ng-republika-ng-pilipinas-1987/

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have tried to learn a few words in Tagalog , but with Emma learning me its hard , then she laughs and then shouts the word then i pronounce it more funny and then she laughs more then we give in and i go around saying the words my way with a Derbyshire twang added.

The best way to learn is once you are there and you may pick up a few sayings and words , but i doubt it.

A few years ago looking at places in France to buy and trying to learn the language before you went was had but once there and living there you did pick it up very quickly, but then again most people spoke to you in French so you had no choice.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, hk blues said:

The site i read said 2 Official languages - English and Tagalog. I don't think English is considered as the only official language other than by locals who want to appear sophisticated.

Officially they are both but one is used primarily for official reading ie   BoI etc.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

This as with many things, will go round and round in Circles we will all have our own Ideas and try and prove things that are different to others but the fact remains that schools teach in English (Except Filipino Subjects) The Business and Legal Language is English

Of course it is relevant,  any other Language apart for Tagalog would not be able to read them. A Friend of Ours here has already stated that court cases are now held in English. (where the court does not know the language that is trying to be used what can I sayWho knows (dave.jpg That's me on this one My friends, have a good Day 

Jack:smile:

Morning All:photo-109:

"Never let the facts get in the way of a contrary view" kind of response IMO. The constitution says what it says, and frankly outranks both your and my opinions.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I like how you did that.  :whistling:  You made it look like Filipino language gets more preference than English, where in fact Filipino is listed first but no preference is stated in the constitution.

I agree with Jack that all the legal documents I have seen are written in English, and yet most of the official speeches Duterte gives are in Filipino.  So here is a country truly trying to be bilingual.  I think that can be a good thing, or it can be a bad thing if different parties try to promote that their language should be the priority language and the other is second.

I agree too with Jack that all the docs I have seen are in English. That was never doubted, but nor was it part of the 'debate.' That's why it's an irrelevance to the debate - we are debating what is designated as the official/national (let's not get into that can of worms), not what language is effectively the national language. I'm not sure why that's difficult to understand.

Yes, i did suggest Filipino was stated first (which it is) and also that it has preference over English (which isn't stated) However, as you've obviously read the constitution, you will surely agree it's all but implied by inserting the phrase. " and, in so far as......English." rather than simply "and English"?

Regardless, it seems strange to hold an opinion contrary to a country's constitution and be unable to recognise that that opinion is, frankly, wrong.

Sorry Dave, the final para isn't meant for you but it fitted with the rest of my post - apologies.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

So you are saying the Philippine Constitution places English as a secondary language vs one of the two official languages? And government forms etc are in English for practice? Does that mean the Philippine Constitution itself if just a practice document since it is written in English?

Nope. I never said that.

I never mentioned another two official languages, nor does the constitution. Why would you suggest I did? Only Filipino and English are mentioned.

Yep, English is used for practical purposes as it's possibly the commonest language. Might even be the legal language as in Hong Kong. That's not what we're debating though.

It's not just a practical document - not sll Singhs are Sikhhs but all Sikkhs are Singhs!

• Like 1