Get Off Your Butts... Learn Tagalog!!!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, scott h said:

I just let my money do the talking! Everyone understands that language :hystery:

It's probably the only language my wife is fluent in!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 11/18/2017 at 4:57 PM, AlwaysRt said:

Darn

oops :hystery:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well, another embarrassing moment for me, regarding not speaking Tagalog.  :smile:

We were eating lunch at Bon Chon yesterday, and sitting next to us was a Caucasian family.  Mom and dad, mid-30's or early 40's, dark blondish hair, 3 daughters and and 1 son, all with beautiful very light blond hair.

Our two little ones are a handful when eating out, so I wasn't paying much attention to the other family while we ate, except I remember thinking, "I hope my kids will become as well behaved as theirs are" !  Their youngest was probably 7 or 8, so way ahead of ours in ages.

We were cleaning up to go, and the wife turns to my wife, and starts talking to her in perfect Tagalog!  Of course my wife has to rub it in to me "Look honey, they speak Tagalog!  Why can't you learn?"

Later my wife told me that the husband also speaks it well, but the kids are just learning.  I'm not sure if they live around here.  I don't recall seeing them around and they are very noticeable.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Well, another embarrassing moment for me, regarding not speaking Tagalog.  :smile:

Of course my wife has to rub it in to me "Look honey, they speak Tagalog!  Why can't you learn?"

Don, you're such a Bo-Bo.....just like me.  Perhaps they were missionaries, foreign service officers, international executives?  I myself can completely corrupt my native tongue.  I often times purposely say something backwards, just to hide my stupidity.  For example -- your welcome (walang alamang instead of walang anuman).  To announce your presence at the front gate (tae po instead of tao po).   

That 2nd example gave me a jab in the rib cage from Judy.  I'm such a bastos sometimes.....he, he.   

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

My first thought was mormon missionaries, I remember when we visited Hawaii all the young mormons at the cultural centre could speak tagalog.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We were cleaning up to go, and the wife turns to my wife, and starts talking to her in perfect Tagalog!

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts she grew up there. Parents were missionaries, diplomats, etc.  

I met a young black female in a place once. Looked like typical American. I was surprised to hear her speaking the local dialect like a native. Turned out she was, father was American soldier went back to US never heard from again. Raised by single mother in Phils. Lots of them around. Hard to tell by appearances.

Edited by MikeB

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts she grew up there. Parents were missionaries, diplomats, etc.  

Yes I agree, My wife has friends of Dutch origin who we missionaries some 40 years ago, the children of these people are now 2nd Generation Dutch/Filipino/ Dutch, white as the ace of spades and are all fluent, they now have the 3rd generation at about 6 and 8 years old that are   Fluent in Tagalog Bisaya and Dutch and all are now Filipino Citizens , 2nd and 3rd  Generation are all born here  It all makes the Difference

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

My first thought was mormon missionaries, I remember when we visited Hawaii all the young mormons at the cultural centre could speak tagalog.

1 hour ago, MikeB said:

'll bet dollars to doughnuts she grew up there. Parents were missionaries, diplomats, etc.  

I met a young black female in a place once. Looked like typical American. I was surprised to hear her speaking the local dialect like a native. Turned out she was, father was American soldier went back to US never heard from again. Raised by single mother in Phils. Lots of them around. Hard to tell by appearances.

Both are possibilities but they didn't give me the impression of being current missionaries, for some reason I can't explain.

There is a blond younger couple that lives in our neighborhood, not close by, but they have a young baby so I don't think it was them.  Unless they recently moved here, I doubt that the family we saw lives here.  This is a small town and you get used to seeing a lot of people, and they are a very beautiful and unusual family to see here.

Yes, we have a lot inter-racial children here from the military days and current residents.  I posted the You Tube video about PBA star Willie Miller, whose dad was a black American.  I have seen several tall black guys playing ball at Lyceum College and I assume they have similar backgrounds.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Both are possibilities but they didn't give me the impression of being current missionaries,

No, I think we are all talking Children of

• Like 1