Requirements For Marriage In The Phills

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

My experience of going through the marriage process to a Filipina in the Philippines IN CEBU CITY

What you will need

YOU NEED TO GET AT LEAST 2 COPIES OF EACH ITEM.

YOU NEED TO KEEP ALL RECEIPTS.

FOR PEOPLE WITH BRITISH PASSPORTS.

YOU NEED COPIES OF:

THE PHOTO PAGE.

THE CONTACT PAGE,FOR YOUR NEXT OF KIN ETC.

.THE VERY FIRST PAGE,THE ONE WITH THE CREST ON It

THE PAGE WITH THE LAST ENTRY STAMP INTO THE PHILIPPINES ON IT TO SHOW YOU HAVE BEEN HERE LONGER THAN 14 DAYS.

1 CENOMAR= CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE IN THE PHILIPPINES.FOR BOTH OF YOU. FROM NSO IN PERSON OR ONLINE AT www.e-census.ph.YOU CAN ALSO GET OTHER CERTIFICATES ON HERE MARRIAGE,BIRTH,DEATH.IF YOU NEED A CERTIFICATE CHECK IT OUT.

3 ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE OR RECENT CERTIFIED COPY FOR BOTH OF YOU.

4 DIVORCE CERTIFICATE OR PAPERS FOR BOTH IF APPLICABLE.

5 PASSPORT FOR THE FOREIGNER ID CARD FOR THE FILIPINA

I HAD TO DO NUMBERS 1-5 BEFORE I COULD GET THE CNI

6 CNI= CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY.ONLY THE FOREIGNER, CONTACT YOUR EMBASSY/CONSULATE. OR BRING ONE FROM YOUR OWN COUNTRY

7 MARRIAGE GUIDANCE AND FAMILY PLANNING CERTIFICATES. FROM CEBU CITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT COST P100. YOU NEED TO BOOK THIS AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A COPY OF THE ATTACHMENT I HAVE OUT HERE.

7A I HAVE PUT AN ATTACHMENT WHICH YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW TO APPLY FOR THE LICENCE. THE 2 THINGS WE HAD TO GET WAS A CEDULA P46.20 FROM CITY HALL BY MAGELLAN`S CROSS AND BARANGAY CLEARANCE TO MARRY P50 FROM YOUR LOCAL BARANGAY HALL.

8 LICENCE TO GET MARRIED FROM CEBU CITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT I HAD TO GET MINE HERE I TRIED TO GET IT ELSEWHERE BUT WAS TOLD NO CAN DO. COST P100 + p1000 for the forms to be verified. AND P50 TO PAY THE WOMAN WHO GIVES YOU THE RECEIPT TO PICK UP YOUR LICENCE. THEY KEPT MY GIRLFRIENDS BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND WOULD NOT LET US HAVE IT BACK. I WAS TOLD THEY ALWAYS KEEP IT SO JUST BE AWARE OF THAT. YOU PICK UP YOUR LICENCE 10 DAYS AFTER IT HAS BEEN POSTED ON THE NOTICE BOARD.( WHEN YOU GO FOR MARRIAGE GUIDANCE ON THE APPLICATION WILL BE POSTED ON THE BOARD THE NEXT DAY FOR 10 DAYS. THE DAY AFTER 10 DAYS IS UP YOU CAN COLLECT THE LICENCE)

9 IT`S UP TO YOU WHERE YOU GET MARRIED. I HAVE BEEN TOLD ONCE YOU HAVE THE LICENCE YOU CAN GET MARRIED ANYWHERE IN THE PHILLS.

WHEN YOU ORDER YOUR CENOMAR ONLINE YOU WILL GET AN EMAIL FROM THE NSO/ E-CENSUS.

YOU HAVE TO PRINT 2 COPIES OF THIS . I TOOK MINE TO THE BDO BANK TO MAKE THE PAYMENT. JUST A SMALL PAYMENT FORM TO FILL IN AND PAY OVER THE COUNTER. WHEN I PAYED FOR MINE IT WAS P415 FOR EACH COPY.

CNI,THIS COST ME P9360. FROM THE BRITISH CONSULATE IN CEBU CITY.@Moya.jackson-HonCon@fconet.fco.gov.uk TELEPHONE 032 2389055. THIS WEBSITE IS NOT VERY CLEAR IN THE INFORMATION IT PROVIDES AND RULES ARE CHANGING ALL THE TIME.

post-1430-0-36022700-1338628621_thumb.jp

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 5

Bundy
Posted
Posted

My experience of going through the marriage process to a Filipina in the Philippines IN CEBU CITY

What you will need

YOU NEED COPIES OF:

THE PHOTO PAGE.

THE PAGE WITH THE LAST ENTRY STAMP INTO THE PHILIPPINES ON IT TO SHOW YOU HAVE BEEN HERE LONGER THAN 14 DAYS.

1 CENOMAR= CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE IN THE PHILIPPINES.FOR BOTH OF YOU. FROM NSO IN PERSON OR ONLINE AT www.e-census.ph.YOU CAN ALSO GET OTHER CERTIFICATES ON HERE MARRIAGE,BIRTH,DEATH.IF YOU NEED A CERTIFICATE CHECK IT OUT.

6 CNI= CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY.ONLY THE FOREIGNER, CONTACT YOUR EMBASSY/CONSULATE. OR BRING ONE FROM YOUR OWN COUNTRY

7 MARRIAGE GUIDANCE AND FAMILY PLANNING CERTIFICATES. FROM CEBU CITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT COST P100. YOU NEED TO BOOK THIS AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A COPY OF THE ATTACHMENT I HAVE OUT HERE.

7A I HAVE PUT AN ATTACHMENT WHICH YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW TO APPLY FOR THE LICENCE. THE 2 THINGS WE HAD TO GET WAS A CEDULA P46.20 FROM CITY HALL BY MAGELLAN`S CROSS AND BARANGAY CLEARANCE TO MARRY P50 FROM YOUR LOCAL BARANGAY HALL.

8 LICENCE TO GET MARRIED FROM CEBU CITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT I HAD TO GET MINE HERE I TRIED TO GET IT ELSEWHERE BUT WAS TOLD NO CAN DO. COST P100 + p1000 for the forms to be verified. AND P50 TO PAY THE WOMAN WHO GIVES YOU THE RECEIPT TO PICK UP YOUR LICENCE. THEY KEPT MY GIRLFRIENDS BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND WOULD NOT LET US HAVE IT BACK. I WAS TOLD THEY ALWAYS KEEP IT SO JUST BE AWARE OF THAT. YOU PICK UP YOUR LICENCE 10 DAYS AFTER IT HAS BEEN POSTED ON THE NOTICE BOARD.( WHEN YOU GO FOR MARRIAGE GUIDANCE ON THE APPLICATION WILL BE POSTED ON THE BOARD THE NEXT DAY FOR 10 DAYS. THE DAY AFTER 10 DAYS IS UP YOU CAN COLLECT THE LICENCE)

9 IT`S UP TO YOU WHERE YOU GET MARRIED. I HAVE BEEN TOLD ONCE YOU HAVE THE LICENCE YOU CAN GET MARRIED ANYWHERE IN THE PHILLS.

WHEN YOU ORDER YOUR CENOMAR ONLINE YOU WILL GET AN EMAIL FROM THE NSO/ E-CENSUS.

YOU HAVE TO PRINT 2 COPIES OF THIS . I TOOK MINE TO THE BDO BANK TO MAKE THE PAYMENT. JUST A SMALL PAYMENT FORM TO FILL IN AND PAY OVER THE COUNTER. WHEN I PAYED FOR MINE IT WAS P415 FOR EACH COPY.

CNI,THIS COST ME P9360. FROM THE BRITISH CONSULATE IN CEBU CITY.@Moya.jackson-HonCon@fconet.fco.gov.uk TELEPHONE 032 2389055. THIS WEBSITE IS NOT VERY CLEAR IN THE INFORMATION IT PROVIDES AND RULES ARE CHANGING ALL THE TIME.

Kevin, you forgot to mention number 10 : a very big bucket load of patience!

Having a little inside information,and knowing what you've been through, i know how frustrating this has been for you.Things have certainly changed since i was married in 2003.

It's hard to comprehend now how anyone could possibly get through all this red tape without actually living there whilst working their way through the list.

Still, you've got it out of the way now matey so congrats! :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

my gosh this is shocking. How different will it be for an Aussie? (both is us have never been married before) and she is 21 with no parents alive, only older sisters.

I thought all I had to bring from Aussie was a copy of my birth certificate that is signed by a Justice of the Peace and my passport.

I have to bookmark this page and read through it tomorrow, too late here now....

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 3

Elsa
Posted
Posted

We went through the same process when we got married four years ago. My husband is from Australia and he had to pay about 3500p for his CNI at the Australian Embassy in Manila. This page from our web site may help.

Not at this address /planning-a-marriage-in-cebu.php

Prices will have changed over that period but the process hasn't. Once you get your marriage licence, which must be applied for in the municipality where the bride can show 6 months residence, you have 120 days to get married anywhere in the Philippines.

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

We went through the same process when we got married four years ago. My husband is from Australia and he had to pay about 3500p for his CNI at the Australian Embassy in Manila. This page from our web site may help.

http://www.cebuexpat...age-in-cebu.php

Prices will have changed over that period but the process hasn't. Once you get your marriage licence, which must be applied for in the municipality where the bride can show 6 months residence, you have 120 days to get married anywhere in the Philippines.

Yes elsa that is correct I forgot to add that. We went to Dalaguete to get the licence and were told no.

What you will need

YOU NEED COPIES OF:

THE PHOTO PAGE.

Kevin, you forgot to mention number 10 : a very big bucket load of patience!

Having a little inside information,and knowing what you've been through, i know how frustrating this has been for you.Things have certainly changed since i was married in 2003.

It's hard to comprehend now how anyone could possibly get through all this red tape without actually living there whilst working their way through the list.

Still, you've got it out of the way now matey so congrats! :thumbsup:

I am the most patient person on this forum by miles!
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

my gosh this is shocking. How different will it be for an Aussie? (both is us have never been married before) and she is 21 with no parents alive, only older sisters.

I thought all I had to bring from Aussie was a copy of my birth certificate that is signed by a Justice of the Peace and my passport.

I have to bookmark this page and read through it tomorrow, too late here now....

Well mate read this and maybe it will be easier for you. I got frustrated that they don`t give you all the information you need in one go it is given without proper explanation. When I finished it was like a weight off of my shoulders.
  • Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Excellent post, and yes there should be a simple step by step guide that would help with marriage in the Philippines. For me it was a bit easier as I was living here at the time. Cost was low, and fortunately I had the help of an Atty friend who made things much easier. (didn't need to attend the marriage guidance presentation, and went straight to the front of the line, and was able to get things processed same day, etc.)

There was only one additional prerequisite and that was that my wife was under 25 and she had to get permission letter from her parents to allow her marriage to a foreigner.

My wife had never been previously married although I had, in the UK but fortunately had my divorce papers with me (a bit of good luck). It would have made no difference whether I used my Canadian passport or British to get married as the cost and procedure was the same.

For those of you thinking of getting married while visiting in the Philippines, consider staying for more than the 21 days if possible, get a 60 day extension and enjoy your time here.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

Hi, I see to get a CNI here in Australia before I go it would cost $90 and I'm not sure of the waiting time either - more details here http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/marriage.html. Can someone tell me what it would cost to get one from the Australian embassy in the Philippines instead when I'm there?

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Hi, I see to get a CNI here in Australia before I go it would cost $90 and I'm not sure of the waiting time either - more details here http://www.smartrave...s/marriage.html. Can someone tell me what it would cost to get one from the Australian embassy in the Philippines instead when I'm there?

Yeah, G'day Adventurer,

Unless everything has changed dramatically since i got married, i think you'll find the CNI is issued from the embassy in Manila.That is not to say that you can't apply for it here in Australia. Yes you can,i did it and it took from memory 3 to 4 weeks for me to receive it, but as i say, it is issued from Australian Embassy Manila.

Cost should be the same whether you apply here or there.

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

OK thanks bundy, its pretty expenive, so if it's vital then I only want to get one if it is. maybe i will wait till im back in the philiipines anyway as i might leave here in oz in 2 weeks so no use waiting around for it if it will cost the same there plus we might not get married for 3 months or more yet...

Also, I have New Zealand citezenship & passport as well as my Aussie one, will I also need a CNI from NZ?