Requirements For Marriage In The Phills

Bundy
Posted
Posted

OK thanks bundy, its pretty expenive, so if it's vital then I only want to get one if it is. maybe i will wait till im back in the philiipines anyway as i might leave here in oz in 2 weeks so no use waiting around for it if it will cost the same there plus we might not get married for 3 months or more yet...

Also, I have New Zealand citezenship & passport as well as my Aussie one, will I also need a CNI from NZ?

Yes it is vital...........you CANNOT get married in the Philippines without it. Given your circumstances, yeah i would wait and get it once back in Phils. I'm no authority on NZ rules but my guess would be yes, exactly the same as Australia. The CNI is just what it says, a certificate of no impediment, meaning you have to prove to the embassy that there is no reason why you can't be married in the Philippines.

Funny thing, when you get this piece of paper, the way it's worded implies that yes the embassy has accepted all your documentation and your civil status but it does not guarantee it! That's the way they used to be anyway.

• Like 3

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

OK thanks mate, yeah I will wait till in back.. what I mean is since I have both OZ & NZ citizenship does that mean I need to get an CNI from each country& pay double i/e $180 instead of $90 for one? maybe someone else knows?,,,,,

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

OK thanks mate, yeah I will wait till in back.. what I mean is since I have both OZ & NZ citizenship does that mean I need to get an CNI from each country& pay double i/e $180 instead of $90 for one? maybe someone else knows?,,,,,

No Adventurer, you only need one But you will have to marry on the Passport you entered on, the CNI and Passport are both Connected. so your Entry Passport is the Embassy you to to apply to. You see, they will check, your First date of Entry in your Passport This is also the Requirement for all the Things you need, License, Marriage Contract and other clearances. It is all geared to the Passport you entered on Only one of your two passports, will have the Entry date stamp so that is the one you will have to use. Hope this helps you here, Bye the way best of Luck, It can be an Arduous job, to get married here, the Red tape gets deeper and deeper red as each Requirement is met. :unsure: but Smiles will be there at the end of the day :lol:

jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Yeah, G'day Adventurer, Unless everything has changed dramatically since i got married, i think you'll find the CNI is issued from the embassy in Manila.That is not to say that you can't apply for it here in Australia. Yes you can,i did it and it took from memory 3 to 4 weeks for me to receive it, but as i say, it is issued from Australian Embassy Manila. Cost should be the same whether you apply here or there.

Its been a few years but I got mine in Australia but my memory tells me it came from the births, deaths and marriages but below tells me it came from Department of foreign affairs or is now days.

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Marriages-Overseas+weddings?OpenDocument&1=20-Marriages~&2=40-Overseas+weddings~&3=~

Overseas weddings

Popular Pages

Before getting married in a country outside Australia you will need to contact the closest embassy, consulate or local representative of the country where you plan to marry, for information about that country’s legal requirements for marriage.

You can find a list of foreign embassies, consulates and representatives in Australia at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

Some countries require a document as evidence that a person is free to marry. This document is called a single status certificate and is issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Additionally, some countries also require a 'Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage'. This is certificate is issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and provides evidence that an overseas marriage will be recognised as a valid marriage in Australia.

If you have been previously married and divorced or widowed, you may also need to provide your divorce certificate or your spouse's death certificate as evidence that your previous marriage has ended.

Once married, you need to ensure your marriage is registered in that country and obtain documents as evidence of the event. Evidence of an overseas marriage may include any official, commemorative or keepsake documents couples receive at the time of their ceremony.

While a marriage that occurs overseas cannot be registered in Australia, an overseas marriage will generally be recognised as valid if:

the marriage is recognised as valid under the law of the country where the marriage took place

the marriage is between a man and a woman

both bride and groom are at least 18 years of age, and

neither bride nor groom is married to any other person at the time of marriage.

If you wish to change your surname after marrying overseas, you may need to register a formal change of name.

Find more information about getting married overseas in the overseas weddings FAQs.

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

ok thanks for the info guys, ok all the red tape I can deal with when I'm there. As long as I bring my passport, a recent signed copy of my BC by a JP then I should be all go. I guess the next thing is to find a girl to marry,... ok just kidding there, yes I have a lovely fiancee and I have a nice ring to bring her back too that is impressive, even though she loves the placeholder one I gave her that she wears on her thumb as it's too big ... ;)

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

ok thanks for the info guys, ok all the red tape I can deal with when I'm there. As long as I bring my passport, a recent signed copy of my BC by a JP then I should be all go. I guess the next thing is to find a girl to marry,... ok just kidding there, yes I have a lovely fiancee and I have a nice ring to bring her back too that is impressive, even though she loves the placeholder one I gave her that she wears on her thumb as it's too big ... ;)

:thumbsup: Atta boy,come back and do it, you know, it makes sense, make her happy and join the happy throng of members here, that have done it, got the TSHIRT and are just as happy as the as pigs in the Sty

Sorry, I am just excited for you :)

Jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup: Atta boy,come back and do it, you know, it makes sense, make her happy and join the happy throng of members here, that have done it, got the TSHIRT and are just as happy as the as pigs in the Sty

Sorry, I am just excited for you :)

Jack P. :tiphat:

There's a T-shirt now? What does it say?

"I just got married and all I got was this..."

Oh I just know somebody is gonna get me for that... probably my "Special Someone"!

:mocking:

Good luck and keep us up to date on the details! I am taking notes for my own use later! hehe!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

I was just reading the US Embassy website concerning marriages here in the Philippines.

Apparently the US does not give a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. They give an Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. For 50.00 USD or its Peso equivalent.

I am sure this part is not anything new to those who have been here for a while.

The New info on this is that as of the end of last year ( 2011 ) a few cities civil registrars offices (CRO) have begun to refuse to accept the Affidavit.

The cities are Makati City, Quezon City, Davao City. These cities CRO's will apparently no longer accept the affidavit.

Here is the website.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

The US Embassy website suggests that Americans wishing to marry here in the Philippines check with the CRO in the city where they wish to be married first BEFORE applying for the Affidavit to be sure that they will accept it as well as to find out exactly what the local requirements for marriage are, As there is no refund. Sounds silly but I guess people actually ask for a refund. ha ha ha.

We are still hoping to someday be allowed to go to America and get married there.

Mike S
Posted
Posted
a recent signed copy of my BC

I would bring more than one copy of your BC as well as more than 1 copy of your divorce papers if you have them ..... it is much much harder to get more certified copies after you get here of the originals ...... I had to send for extra copies of my BC after I got here and they took my CC of my divorce papers when we got married ...... but as I don't plan on getting married again I guess that is OK ........ :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

I was just reading the US Embassy website concerning marriages here in the Philippines.

Apparently the US does not give a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. They give an Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. For 50.00 USD or its Peso equivalent.

I am sure this part is not anything new to those who have been here for a while.

The New info on this is that as of the end of last year ( 2011 ) a few cities civil registrars offices (CRO) have begun to refuse to accept the Affidavit.

The cities are Makati City, Quezon City, Davao City. These cities CRO's will apparently no longer accept the affidavit.

Here is the website.

http://manila.usemba...v/marriage.html

The US Embassy website suggests that Americans wishing to marry here in the Philippines check with the CRO in the city where they wish to be married first BEFORE applying for the Affidavit to be sure that they will accept it as well as to find out exactly what the local requirements for marriage are, As there is no refund. Sounds silly but I guess people actually ask for a refund. ha ha ha.

We are still hoping to someday be allowed to go to America and get married there.

Here is the website.

http://manila.usemba...v/marriage.html

Thanks for the information - I hope it doesn't spread to Cebu!

You are required to apply for the marriage licence in the municipality where the bride to be has resided for the previous 6 months but there legal are ways around this rule.

After the licence has been granted you have 120 days to get married anywhere in the Philippines.