TV Antennas

Condor
Posted
Posted

Well I'm here in Cebu/Minglanilla now and all is pretty much fine... note that i brought the texas drought with me!!!! Enjoying my time with Elnie and purchasing cheap furniture for our little apt... mostly purchased yesterday at Fiesta Mall. Had a little "occurrence" there... let me explain: I'm virtually blind in my right eye due to a ?small stroke? the doctors said, so I was walking thru the "glass items" section and carrying the tv I'd just bought like a briefcase in my right hand... whacked it into a strategically placed display of glass lotion dispensers near the register... Elnie went immediately to the counter to pay but I of course knew this to be a trap for merchandise they were having trouble selling and SAID SO... embarrassing my lady badly... guess I have to contain those kinds of remarks around here... Hey guys, I need to find out what tv channels i can get off the air with an indoor antenna... and if you have a suggestion for an antenna that works well, I'd sure appreciate your comments.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Holy sh&t. You knocked over the persons display and thought they had set up a trap for you? And then SAID SO in a loud voice? OK about those tv antennae. I really can't think of a store that does not have a trap set for you. All the aisles are pretty narrow here.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Condor I seem to remember seeing something like an indoor antenna at CDR KING so perhaps you could check that place.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

If there's an Abenson appliance store near you, check out some of their powered 220v indoor AM/FM/UHF/VHF antennas. At one time I even seen an out door aerial TV antenna with a motorized controller the antenna was mounted to and controlled via a remote control box in the home to turn the antenna 360 degrees! Or if you want to go cheap, just buy an out door "Baron" name brand TV antenna! I used one of those for 4 years until cable service was available in our area! The only thing was, that I had to go outside to turn my antenna pole to the direction where the reception was clear! Depending where you live and how far their TV stations are located will determine the quality of your TV reception just by using a plain out door Aerial antenna that's higher than your roof line! In door powered antennas varies in their reception depending on the quality how they are made! You buy a cheap one and then you get a poor reception! Also it helps the reception if you buy a line-in/2 to 3 line-out powered signal booster amplifier for 3 TVs if your cable wire is long, it really helps boost the clarity of your TV signal from the antenna to the booster and then to your TV! BTW, I still use my 220v powered TV signal booster amplifier with our regular cable service since my TV coaxial cables are long and I have 3 old regular analog TVs hooked to it and the reception is clear since our cable service is digitized! Works for me! But I want a big flat screen TV for Xmas!!!Eventually, there will be cable service in the RP that will be all in one, with TV programs/TIVO system, internet and phone service like COMCAST in the U.S.! But I'll still stay with my Magic Jack and Skype! IDD and NDD phone service in the RP is too much, cellphones works better!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted
Well I'm here in Cebu/Minglanilla now and all is pretty much fine... note that i brought the texas drought with me!!!! Had a little "occurrence" there... let me explain: I'm virtually blind in my right eye due to a ?small stroke? the doctors said, so I was walking thru the "glass items" section and carrying the tv I'd just bought like a briefcase in my right hand... whacked it into a strategically placed display of glass lotion dispensers near the register... Elnie went immediately to the counter to pay but I of course knew this to be a trap for merchandise they were having trouble selling and SAID SO... embarrassing my lady badly... guess I have to contain those kinds of remarks around here...
Sorry if I sound a bit confused but are you saying that the store here in the Philippines strategically placed a glass display somewhere because they thought or expected a virtually blind in one eye guy carrying a tv would run into it so they could get him to pay for any items that were broken? I know that filipino's will do a lot of different things to make money but I got to tell you that this is a first for me!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

The Philippines is not the US or any other first world country, so the rule is, that if you break it, you own it. As for the antenna, I had seen some nice ones in Ace Hardware but as Sonjack said, CDR King has a bunch. Local channels received will vary by where you are. In our condo I get almost nothing without cable, and even with the rabbit ears outside on our balcony, but my friend who has the same unit we have, but on the other side of the building, gets lots of channels. Just go through the channels once you have it hooked up and you will see which if any you can get.

Condor
Posted
Posted

About the breakage first: Yes you guys are all correct of course and I was wrong. I felt at the time that the shop had placed that particular display so it jutted out into the isle, with the items pulled to the front so easy to bump... they were all items (I felt in my infinitesimal wisdom) that would not sell, so I was enraged. I embarrassed my lady and damaged some conceptions of who I'm thought to be. I did apologize and spent nearly p30k there in the next few days, so I think I'm forgiven at least a little. I talked about it with my doctor and he suggested I'm running too rich on my meds, and cut back on one of them... seems to be working so far, but I'll watch myself more closely. I apologize to you guys for sounding so vile and stupid. The antenna situation is not yet solved and I've tried two cheapee rabbit ear antennas... but both had connector designs that I think made for undependable operation. I'll definitely fine a CDR King store and give a try with something they recommend, and if that doesn't work I'll try to find someone to install an outdoor setup because I can't climb on the roof at my age. Thanks for the info and I'm hoping to get some off-air signal soon.

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
About the breakage first: Yes you guys are all correct of course and I was wrong. I felt at the time that the shop had placed that particular display so it jutted out into the isle, with the items pulled to the front so easy to bump... they were all items (I felt in my infinitesimal wisdom) that would not sell, so I was enraged. I embarrassed my lady and damaged some conceptions of who I'm thought to be. I did apologize and spent nearly p30k there in the next few days, so I think I'm forgiven at least a little. I talked about it with my doctor and he suggested I'm running too rich on my meds, and cut back on one of them... seems to be working so far, but I'll watch myself more closely. I apologize to you guys for sounding so vile and stupid. The antenna situation is not yet solved and I've tried two cheapee rabbit ear antennas... but both had connector designs that I think made for undependable operation. I'll definitely fine a CDR King store and give a try with something they recommend, and if that doesn't work I'll try to find someone to install an outdoor setup because I can't climb on the roof at my age. Thanks for the info and I'm hoping to get some off-air signal soon.
No problem, we all have to learn and unfortunately some of us get to learn the hard way. Members will tell you what not to do for your own good, since if one Filipinos files a complaint about one of us, we probably would end up deported and blacklisted, so we could never enter again. Good luck with your TV antenna issue and be sure to check back and let us know how it worked out, and how your new life is working out as well. :mocking:

Condor
Posted
Posted
Good luck with your TV antenna issue and be sure to check back and let us know how it worked out, and how your new life is working out as well. :mocking:
Thanks guys again... I'll probably hit Fiesta again (oops bad wording) because I see they also have a CDR King... the bigger department store (where I had my "accident") has only those cheap p199 rabbit ears and the center conductor just doesn't seem to make good contact. If CDR King doesn't solve the problem I'll make the trip to the Ayala Abenson's to get more professional help with an outdoor setup.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
if one Filipinos files a complaint about one of us, we probably would end up deported and blacklisted, so we could never enter again.
This seems to be a bit of an exaggeration, do you have any sources for this? My understanding is that, in theory, a local could file a complaint against a visitor and it's possible that the individual could be deported but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you imply.