No Respect For Human Life

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

It appears from the many news articles, that some will kill for no reason at all, so I have to wonder how that can be in a country which is supposed to be so religious? Could it be that people are too easily forgiven for their wrong doings? :attention: It sure seems that way from the experiences I have had with nephews and nieces who had stolen from their college fund, which I supplied for them and their family for schooling only, and their family easily forgave them, so if that is the attitude for stealing from someone who is trying to help them, maybe it translates somehow into the teachings and culture of family, which apparently needs to be changed. :) Something is very wrong with many peoples thinking IMHO. Below is a story which shows that a man can kill a traffic enforcer, just because he was pulled over for having the wrong numbering on his vehicle for that day, so if a person can kill someone they should respect, for such an insignificant reason as a traffic ticket, what hope do the rest of us have. Motorist who shot MMDA enforcer faces charges MANILA, Philippines - A motorist who reportedly shot a Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) enforcer who flagged him down for violating the number coding scheme was charged with frustrated murder before the Mandaluyong prosecutor’s office yesterday.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

HERE is yet another example of what I mean in my OP. Something is very wrong IMO and needs to be fixed in the thinking of many. In this case maybe it was the drinking :attention: in other cases maybe the drugs, but what seems common in most of these cases, is that they can easily take someones life for little to no reason. Son admits killing mom, sister John, son of Virgin Dina Cabarse Bantilan, 39, when she was still single, admitted he regret doing that, saying he didn't have any intention of killing her and his half sister, Geraldine. The suspect, who was in a drinking spree with his friends Thursday night, said he merely went to Bantilan's house to ask for money.

Jake
Posted
Posted
It appears from the many news articles, that some will kill for no reason at all, so I have to wonder how that can be in a country which is supposed to be so religious? Could it be that people are too easily forgiven for their wrong doings? :unsure: It sure seems that way from the experiences I have had with nephews and nieces who had stolen from their college fund, which I supplied for them and their family for schooling only, and their family easily forgave them, so if that is the attitude for stealing from someone who is trying to help them, maybe it translates somehow into the teachings and culture of family, which apparently needs to be changed. :unsure: Something is very wrong with many peoples thinking IMHO. Below is a story which shows that a man can kill a traffic enforcer, just because he was pulled over for having the wrong numbering on his vehicle for that day, so if a person can kill someone they should respect, for such an insignificant reason as a traffic ticket, what hope do the rest of us have. Motorist who shot MMDA enforcer faces charges MANILA, Philippines - A motorist who reportedly shot a Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) enforcer who flagged him down for violating the number coding scheme was charged with frustrated murder before the Mandaluyong prosecutor’s office yesterday.
Yeah, I hear ya Kuya. Supposedly, a nation of at least 80% Christians, too much animosity occursamong its population. For the life of me, I haven't pinned it down yet. Could it be tribal mentality,crab mentality, jealousy or something left over from the Spanish or American influence? I think in this case, the suspect refused to "lose face" in public and his apparent prejudice againstlow-lifes like traffic enforcers. By the way, the term "frustrated murder" means the suspect wasfrustrated because the crime was not successful. It's the same as attempted murder or homicide.During one of my political science classes in Manila, I ask the professor what is "frustrated rape".She wasn't too amused by my curiosity.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think you are all nuts or don't read your own papers very often,everyday in every country in the world there are killings that don't make sense.Wake up to yourselves,its not Philippines exclusive. THE Queensland family of the woman who ended her life after her daughter's murder say they had done everything possible to help her.Kim Patterson's father George said "every help" was given to his daughter, who was raised on Queensland's southern Downs before travelling overseas, where she met her husband.Mr Patterson then asked for privacy as his family struggled to deal with the loss of Kim, 48, and her daughter Sidonie Thompson, who was murdered in her Paddington home on Wednesday morning.Family and friends have described Kim as "highly strung" but a "beautiful mum" who adored her children.Psychologists are at a loss to explain why Ms Patterson attacked her only daughter on Wednesday and why, minutes later, she took her own life.Cleaners yesterday spent more than two hours at the family's inner-city Brisbane home, removing a dismantled double bed believed to have been that of 14-year-old Sidonie.The Year 10 Somerville House student was found dead in her bed with slash wounds.Her mother then drove to the Story Bridge, where she died, leaving her son, 12, in the car.Detective Inspector Tony Duncan said police were still piecing together statements from family and friends to determine what happened on the day."We're still collecting evidence and that's the big hold-up," he said."Over the weekend we'll go through that documentation but so far there haven't been any major developments."Ms Patterson had worked in mental health as an occupational therapist in England, where she met husband Peter Thompson.After marrying and having two children, the family returned to Australia about five years ago.Bond University criminologist associate professor Wayne Petherick said it was an unusual crime, both because it appeared to have been committed by the children's mother and because only one child had been targeted."(It's) the kind of crime we don't see in Australia very often," he said. "For some parents who have thoughts of helplessness or hopelessness, they would believe they are doing their children a favour by ending their lives."It was "a kind of 'cruel world' scenario, where they might mistakenly believe their child was better off dead than to live in an unjust world".Mr Petherick said the police had the ability to construct a "psychological autopsy" to build a picture of Ms Patterson's emotional and mental health."If she was suffering from a condition like psychosis, she could have been constructing a delusional scenario - command hallucination - in which she believed she was being told to do a certain thing," he said."When people are on medication for mental illness and if they, for example, missed a pill the day before, often it would be early in the morning the day after that the medication would start to deplete in the system."It could be at a point where hallucinations could occur again."Queensland Alliance for Mental Health chief executive Jeff Cheverton said murder suicides were rare and unusual."In my experience it is very diverse circumstances that would prompt that sort of behaviour. There are certainly not always mental health problems or mental illness involved," he said."These things can happen without premeditation or can happen with people are at the end of their wits in a range of circumstances. They may or may not be experiencing symptoms or behaviours that would necessarily be diagnosed as mental illnesses."Warning signs included withdrawing from family life or friendships and obsessive, paranoid, delusional or generally unusual behaviour, Mental Illness Fellowship of Queensland president Ken Meissner said."Support can come from the family but very often they need more than that. They need high quality, professional support so they do not get to the point where they harm themselves or someone else," he said.Mr Meissner, whose daughter was diagnosed with schizophrenia and committed suicide 11 years ago, warned it was wrong to associate violent crimes with mental illness."The vast majority of people with a mental illness can live quite successfully in the community . . . are harmless (and) would not hurt anyone," he said.Allied Health Professionals Australia vice-president and clinical, forensic and health psychologist Dr Bob Montgomery said it was important for neighbours, friends and family to act on the warning signs.He didn't believe Ms Patterson would have acted deliberately.Today is World Suicide Prevention Day and experts have urged families to ask loved ones about their emotional wellbeing.For support and information about mental health and suicide prevention: Lifeline on 13 11 14 or

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
Yeah, I hear ya Kuya. Supposedly, a nation of at least 80% Christians, too much animosity occursamong its population. For the life of me, I haven't pinned it down yet. Could it be tribal mentality,crab mentality, jealousy or something left over from the Spanish or American influence? I think in this case, the suspect refused to "lose face" in public and his apparent prejudice againstlow-lifes like traffic enforcers. By the way, the term "frustrated murder" means the suspect wasfrustrated because the crime was not successful. It's the same as attempted murder or homicide.During one of my political science classes in Manila, I ask the professor what is "frustrated rape".She wasn't too amused by my curiosity.
Thanks Jake, I guess I should have read the article more closely. I feel it is the same thing that makes Filipinos such great people, as it is that can make some so dangerous, acceptance. If all is easily forgiven, a person might grow up to feel they can get away with even murder. The fact that this man was driving a car and owns a business, probably means he is not poor, so while I thought it was many of the poor who seem to have that attitude, it seems that it may transcend into higher levels of society. added: Tom I am not saying it is just the Philippines, yet I do not remember ever when a businessman shot a police officer or parking enforcement agent in the US over a ticket, and other than people who are already criminals or mentally unstable persons, I do not remember reading where someone killed their mom over drinking money, yet it has happened with some privileged teens who do not get their way. I feel the Philippines is a whole different scenario. Edited by Kuya Lee
add since I see Tom posted

Candyman
Posted
Posted (edited)
Yeah, I hear ya Kuya. Supposedly, a nation of at least 80% Christians, too much animosity occurs among its population. For the life of me, I haven't pinned it down yet. Could it be tribal mentality, crab mentality, jealousy or something left over from the Spanish or American influence? I think in this case, the suspect refused to "lose face" in public and his apparent prejudice against low-lifes like traffic enforcers. By the way, the term "frustrated murder" means the suspect was frustrated because the crime was not successful. It's the same as attempted murder or homicide. During one of my political science classes in Manila, I ask the professor what is "frustrated rape".
Losing "Face" is a big thing in the Philippines, far bigger than it really should be. Couple that with very short tempers, and then add grog or drugs on top of that, and you have an explosive combination ! There was an incident on my last trip in May of 2009, while staying at my in laws house in Cebu City. Papa was late getting home for some reason or other, and there was also supposed to be other guests coming, mainly to visit him. One of his daughters, (My sister in Law), took exception to this, and a great argument followed. I could see she was quickly losing it totally, even though she was yabbering in Cebuano at a hundred miles an hour at him, and I could tell that Papa, was really on the defensive. I might point out here that he is a big man too, well over six feet, and 17 or 18 stone, quite a giant for a Filipino, and he was back pedalling from the verbal onslaught ! By contrast, his daughter, is five foot nothing and about six stone wringing wet ! Anyway, this quarrel soon escalated, as I was watching her, and I seen her go for a large butcher's knife, laying on the bench beside her. As soon as I seen her move towards it, I went for her. I was only a few feet away from her, having been sitting at their computer. She was slightly facing away from me, and as she grabbed the knife to stick Papa with, I grabbed her knife hand with my right,, and the top of her left arm/shoulder with my left arm. She was surprisingly strong, and I almost lost her, but I hung on for dear life, because I knew, she would stick one of us. She was totally out of control. Luckily, her brother, had also rushed down the stairs, and he helped me hold her. I dug my fingers as hard as I could into her wrist to get her to drop the knife, which she did, and my brother in law picked it up and threw it on top of the wardrobe ! I held her tight for what seemed like a long while, but in fact may have only been a few minutes, with her shaking with fury, and Papa, sneaked past us and high tailed it out of there, at a great rate of knots ! While all this was going on, I noticed her eyes, and can still see them in my mind's eye as I write this. The only other times I have seen that look in the eyes, was when I had pig dogs, and they were going in for the kill ! Totally glazed over, and in a totally different reality, and beyond any sort of control, if we hadn't been there, I am sure, we would have been short one Papa ! By the time it was over, all the family had come out of the woodwork from somewhere or other, and I reckon half the neighbours as well! I let her go, once I thought she had settled down a bit, and she never said a thing except to ask me if I wanted a cup of coffee ! Silly question, but never once, either then or afterwards, did she mention the incident, or how close she had come to murdering her father. it was as though she had blocked the whole thing out! The sad thing about it, I have noticed the exact same look in the eyes, with my own wife, (her sister), and when I see that look, I know to make myself scarce ! To a Filipina, "Face" is everything ! Papa took three days to come back home ! God only knows where he stayed, but he wasn't going to risk anything ! Edited by Boss Man
fixed html copy
  • Like 1

Candyman
Posted
Posted

I don't know why my post turned out like it has above me ???

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Thanks Jake, I guess I should have read the article more closely. I feel it is the same thing that makes Filipinos such great people, as it is that can make some so dangerous, acceptance. If all is easily forgiven, a person might grow up to feel they can get away with even murder. The fact that this man was driving a car and owns a business, probably means he is not poor, so while I thought it was many of the poor who seem to have that attitude, it seems that it may transcend into higher levels of society. added: Tom I am not saying it is just the Philippines, yet I do not remember ever when a businessman shot a police officer or parking enforcement agent in the US over a ticket, and other than people who are already criminals or mentally unstable persons, I do not remember reading where someone killed their mom over drinking money, yet it has happened with some privileged teens who do not get their way. I feel the Philippines is a whole different scenario.
RubbishFor some reason the news here on the internet shows so much crime in Florida that you would think its hell on earth and the other thing about being a business man is a bit off as in the Philippines a business man maybe the sari sari store owner who makes stuff all and the other side of it what makes anyone think just because you have a business you are more wealth than anyone else.?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
RubbishFor some reason the news here on the internet shows so much crime in Florida that you would think its hell on earth and the other thing about being a business man is a bit off as in the Philippines a business man maybe the sari sari store owner who makes stuff all and the other side of it what makes anyone think just because you have a business you are more wealth than anyone else.?
You are correct, some parts of Florida are pretty dangerous at times, usually the areas where the poor live, yet I have walked down those streets and visited friends who lived there, and never felt in danger. I also do not feel in danger while in most of the Philippines, yet I do believe there is an issue of face, forgiveness and acceptance, which truly worries me more and more each year, and while I though it was due to poverty, a man driving a Nissan Frontier pick-up and owning even a laundry business, must not be the poorest of poor in the Philippines.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Respect for life, human or otherwise, is LEARNED. You are not born with it. It can also be turned on and off as noted many times in history, such as WWII and that little Jewish / retarded / homosexual purge thing. Prior to WWII, Germany was at the height of modern society. But it took very little for them to look the other way while neighbors were being arrested by the thousands and also remember that the police and soldiers were all members of that same society. In 1915, Germans would have laughed at the thought of going door to door and arresting all the Jews. It was the jews, German by birth and loyal to Germany who were the leading scientists and doctors and elite of Germany. Twenty years later........ what the hell happened? Since I live in Florida and see 1st hand what has been done to 'our' society by a non native invasive species, I would have to agree with the above comments on the crime in Florida. Florida currently has 100,000 people in prison and no end in sight. It is my belief that Florida is maybe 20-30 years behind South Africa. There are people in the US and in Forida that would like to see the US and Florida follow the foot steps of SA and Rhodesia. The huge difference between Philippines and the US or SA or Rhodesia is that while all have economic / employment / crime issues, the Philippines does not have the racial issues that are the decisive factor that makes going back to a calmer / safer point of time impossible. Although we all will be long dead, it will be interesting say 5,000 in the future when 'our time' is being disected and commented on like we today do ancient Egypt. By then observations and comments can be made without running the risk of being labeled Politically Incorrrect.

• Like 1