40% Of Male Foreigners Go To Philippines For Sex: Envoy

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Not a very good assessment of us. I am sure glad I am in the other 60%. :541: Thursday, September 22, 2011MANILA -- The Philippines has become a destination for foreign men who engaged primarily in sex, United States Ambassador to Manila Harry Thomas Jr. said Thursday. Thomas estimated that about 40 percent of foreign male “come here [Philippines] for sexual tourism and that is unacceptable.” The US envoy made the remarks during a speech at a judicial conference on human trafficking. Speaking before several magistrates, Thomas said that all foreigners apprehended for sexual crimes must be punished under the full extent of the law. He added that even US citizens engaging in sex-related crimes such as cybersex should be “prosecuted.” “That is not something I’m proud of. That’s not something you should be proud of,” Thomas said, adding the US government is willing to assist in the prosecution of such crimes, even if it involves their citizens. “Any of them who are engaged in things that violate the law -- whether American or another foreigner -- should be prosecuted. That is against human values,” he said. Link

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I wonder how they got those statistics. For instance, if you go to the Philippines for something innocent, like a vacation in Boracay, a rugby tournament, or because you're a young backpacker, and then end up sleeping with a prostitute one drunken night out, are you suddenly in that 40%? OR.... does sex tourism necessitate paying for sex. What if you go there because it's easy to get laid even without paying for it, just dating around and hanging out?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Those in the 40% bracket will always pay one way or another, it's just their luck of the draw sooner or later! It's much more safer to be in 60% bracket like Kuya Lee mentioned!

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I wonder how they got those statistics. For instance, if you go to the Philippines for something innocent, like a vacation in Boracay, a rugby tournament, or because you're a young backpacker, and then end up sleeping with a prostitute one drunken night out, are you suddenly in that 40%? OR.... does sex tourism necessitate paying for sex. What if you go there because it's easy to get laid even without paying for it, just dating around and hanging out?
There are foreigners that plan their holiday in the Philippines just to buy prostitutes every day. Its much cheaper here than most places. What I don,t understand is why they waste their money when there are so many lovely girls you could date and maybe have a relationship with.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
There are foreigners that plan their holiday in the Philippines just to buy prostitutes every day. Its much cheaper here than most places. What I don,t understand is why they waste their money when there are so many lovely girls you could date and maybe have a relationship with.
I know there are those kinds of sex tourists. I'm just wondering if they fudged the stats by including people who didn't "plan" on it, but ended up partaking in it.
  • Like 1

Candyman
Posted
Posted

Blind Freddie would know that Thomas's estimates of 40% sex tourists, is just sensationalist bulls**t ! If you go by the figures above, stating that there are 3.3 million tourists in the Philippines this year then that equates to 1,650,000 males of which, if his claim is correct, of 40% would be 660,000 sex tourists just this year ! What a load of cr*p ! In another article, Cebu alone, has over a million tourists, so far this year, so if half of them are male, that would be over 200,000 just in this year alone, which is a complete absurdity ! Ask the bar and club owners how they are going, and I'll bet they are all crying poor !I think Thomas's article was purely and simply designed to stir up sh*t, and toi focus unjust attention, on another small part of the Philippines tourism industry !

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I know there are those kinds of sex tourists. I'm just wondering if they fudged the stats by including people who didn't "plan" on it, but ended up partaking in it.
Yes there are plenty of lovely girls and women in the Philippines, but dating takes longer to get intimate with them, paying for it is quicker! Anyway, most men in that 40% bracket didn't come to visit the Philippines to wine and dine the women they meet, but to just have as many one night stands as they can while on their short vacation! Anyways, who's counting? Where and how did they get those stats?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
'Tourists come to Phl for shopping, sightseeing, not for sex' Malacañang yesterday disputed the claim of US Ambassador Harry Thomas Jr. that at least 40 percent of male foreign tourists in the country, including Americans, come for sexual tourism. Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the issue was already brought to the attention of Tourism Secretary Ramon Jimenez, who clarified that the statistics cited by the ambassador were inaccurate. So one would have to ask where the heck Harry Thomas got his figures? 40% does seem to be a high number.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
So one would have to ask where the heck Harry Thomas got his figures? 40% does seem to be a high number.
Maybe his anal sphincter is considered to be a good source..

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Okay.... and how many tourists come as couples to begin with? A lot! That would mean that of the single males who go to the Philippines, NEARLY ALL would be sex tourists. I know a lot of Koreans go to the Philippines for English, beaches, honeymoons, and sex usually squeezes its way in... but it's not their number one focus. Golf is more prominent, but they might also pay for sex, too. From an asian perspective, that would have a different connotation, since those same guys pay for sex regularly in their home country, too. It's not like an American or European who's afraid of getting busted, or can't afford it back home, so they hop on a plane to Asia to do what they like. Still, as many Koreans as I know who go to the Philippines as tourists, the majority by far go in groups or as couples. So if that's their biggest group of tourists, and its a group that regularly pays for sex in its own country anyways, but is most likely traveling with their wife or girlfriend, I think the stats don't hold water.