Cebu, Philippines .. Unhealthy Place To Live

andre007
Posted
Posted

I say the mountains here in Nivel Hills Lahug Busay Cebu. I too suffer from chronic everything but since i have been here in Busay the air is much cleaner and it is peaceful..

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

For those with frequent sinus problems, flushing your nasal and sinus passages with saline solution may help reduce sinus problems. This is something I started doing recently along with taking an antihistamine to reduce the frequency of sinus problems. For me it has made a big difference. A brotherinlaw also reports this helps him. Just be sure you have pure distilled water with no contaminates. You may want to boil the water before use but wait until it is luke warm before flushing your sinuses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

this maybe slightly off topic,

TRY this,

search an area that you like or would enjoy, Go there in GOOD HEALTH, stay,visit for 1 or 2 days, See how you feel afterwards, If you have NO SIDE effects, perhaps the area is better than your "current".

ALSO, if your health is effected by staying in or near the Big city, try moving outwards, 15-20km

see if this can help.

YES your farther away from the malls,Grocery stores etc.. However YOUR HEALTH should/will improve as your away from the pollution.

but bubba, now I must take a longer jeep ride or take a taxi..this will cost me more.

yes It may cost slightly more to travel to the city or the places we need to attend too

,,REMEMBER this. Its your body.your health,

can you put a price tag on your health ??

will the extra 20-100pesos hurt your pocket book?

you know your limitations,,

do you want to live close to the city and suffer your attacks/illness

or move a distance yet still close So that you/we/us can have better health,

• Like 1

United Army
Posted
Posted

I am from west Texas. There we have dust storms several times a year. The dust storms are like sandblasting. It is not uncommon for the storms to take the paint off the cars and buildings. After the storm is gone it usually takes a few days to remove the dust from the house. I have also lived in big cities all over America with lots of air pollution.Yes I realize the Philippines is not America.

We lived in Davao in the Matina area from March 2011 until September of 2011. The air quality there was much better than here in Cebu. I had a bad cough and sinus problems about once a month there lasting about a week each time. This was due to the neighbors burning anything they could find, tires, styrofoam, leaves, branches, paper, plastic, dead animals, wiring, next to our house once a month. I found out that by using tape around the windows it would stop most of the smoke from getting into the house and using the 3M filters on the aircon would help a great deal.

Since moving to Cebu in September of 2011 however I have been sick almost every day. It is coming up on 9 months now. We have moved several times due to the bad air quality. We lived in Minglanilla first. The air there was almost as bad as the beaches. We found that the water there was so polluted that it was dangerous to swim in. We then moved to the north part of Cebu near Bogo only to find out that the coral dust and mold was very very bad there. So we moved here to Yati in Li-Loan. The air quality here is just as bad as it was in Minglanilla. I have been in the hospital 3 times now due to breathing and sinus problems. So far the only medicines that seem to help are anti biotics and lots of them.

We have taped off all the windows in the upstairs of our home here as well as some of the downstairs windows. It has helped some. We also use the 3M aircon filters on our bedroom aircon. The filter lasts only 1 day then it has to be replaced. We are planning to move yet again to another location. Any suggestions on where would be nice.

So you use those 3M filters also, and they only last a day!!! and I thought the air in Talisay was bad....

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

I am from west Texas. There we have dust storms several times a year. The dust storms are like sandblasting. It is not uncommon for the storms to take the paint off the cars and buildings. After the storm is gone it usually takes a few days to remove the dust from the house. I have also lived in big cities all over America with lots of air pollution.Yes I realize the Philippines is not America.

We lived in Davao in the Matina area from March 2011 until September of 2011. The air quality there was much better than here in Cebu. I had a bad cough and sinus problems about once a month there lasting about a week each time. This was due to the neighbors burning anything they could find, tires, styrofoam, leaves, branches, paper, plastic, dead animals, wiring, next to our house once a month. I found out that by using tape around the windows it would stop most of the smoke from getting into the house and using the 3M filters on the aircon would help a great deal.

Since moving to Cebu in September of 2011 however I have been sick almost every day. It is coming up on 9 months now. We have moved several times due to the bad air quality. We lived in Minglanilla first. The air there was almost as bad as the beaches. We found that the water there was so polluted that it was dangerous to swim in. We then moved to the north part of Cebu near Bogo only to find out that the coral dust and mold was very very bad there. So we moved here to Yati in Li-Loan. The air quality here is just as bad as it was in Minglanilla. I have been in the hospital 3 times now due to breathing and sinus problems. So far the only medicines that seem to help are anti biotics and lots of them.

We have taped off all the windows in the upstairs of our home here as well as some of the downstairs windows. It has helped some. We also use the 3M aircon filters on our bedroom aircon. The filter lasts only 1 day then it has to be replaced. We are planning to move yet again to another location. Any suggestions on where would be nice.

So you use those 3M filters also, and they only last a day!!! and I thought the air in Talisay was bad....

Yes. I found out yesterday that if we tape plastic bags over the windows and use the filter on the aircon we all breath better. I actually slept almost all night last night and didn't wake up coughing this morning. It is great. it was that is until we went to N.S.O. and I got to breath all that pollution downtown. Now I am coughing again.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure where I will end up yet. My Special Someone is in the middle of working on her degree for Special Education and specializing on working with deaf children. I think she is hoping to get into the school after in Toledo which will make her very happy - this means we could live in Lutopan (spelling?) Which she loves very much! And, since it's in the hills across the island from Cebu, the air quality is great!

United Army
Posted
Posted

Yes. I found out yesterday that if we tape plastic bags over the windows and use the filter on the aircon we all breath better. I actually slept almost all night last night and didn't wake up coughing this morning. It is great. it was that is until we went to N.S.O. and I got to breath all that pollution downtown. Now I am coughing again.

I use 3 boxes of those 3M filters a month. I have them in all my aircons and will run the aircons on fan to filter the air, boy I have to tell you if it was not for those 3M filters, I think I would be sick all the time...I also wear a mask when I go out doors where I live. Again these mask are made by 3M they are light green in color, there are white mask but they do not work as good and the 3M ones. The last time I was really sick was Dec 2011-Jan 2012. I started to wear those masks in Fed this year and guess what have not been getting sick at all now. I have also thought of putting plastic over my windows sometime ago, thats good your doing that.

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the USA alot of people resent at times the regulations against open fires. Why can't they burn their leaves in the fall? Who doesn't like the smell of burning leaves? Why can't they have a little campfire in the back yard on a nice evening? Why does big brother have to tell me what I can and can't do?

Well those people should come to the Philippines and enjoy a more non-regulated world. Enjoy breathing the air when anybody can start a smoldering fire anytime. Burning their toilet paper, garbage, sweepings and other filth anytime they want to, and have the smoke end up in your house and in your lungs. As well as maybe starting the neighborhood on fire which seems to happen somewhere weekly in the cebu area.

Also enjoy the unregulated selling of food that may be old and rotten and may have been covered in flies. Enjoy the non regulated world of noise where the kid next door buys a motorcycle and promptly removes the muffler, so that he can draw everyones attention to himself and his new purchase. Enjoy the snarl of unregulated traffic with no signals at busy intersections. Hey no more having to stop at red lights, now that is freedom isn't it?

Enjoy the world where retail stores are unregulated and can advertise falsely and not back up the merchandise they sell. Maybe the deregulation of banks that helped lead to the near financial collapse of the world economy was not enough for you in USA. Then come to Philippines and enjoy the freedom from regulation on a broader scale. If nothing else it will change your attitude about government in USA and lead to a renewed patriotism for you.

Regulations to a large extent are to protect the average person from stupid selfish greedy idiots but if they make you feel too restricted come to Philippines and learn a lesson.

Edited by jode
  • Like 4

Brad616
Posted
Posted

Number 2 son came back from Cebu last summer from vacation and guess what CAP -- Community acquired pneumonia and that is an healthy 15 yr old basketball player

Funny though we live here surrounded by dusty farmland and he still suffers more than I do at 46 yr old

Irrigate your sinuses , then blow your nose, then go gargle with alcohol based mouth wash for at least 30 seconds, it really helps

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Regulations to a large extent are to protect the average person from stupid selfish greedy idiots but if they make you feel too restricted come to Philippines and learn a lesson.

That post makes it sound like you do not believe it is more fun in the Philippines.

My premise is that developed countries are over regulated because they are trying to protect idiots from other idiots. Doing that only makes people more dependent on more regulations and less able to think for themselves. At least that is my view.

• Like 3