Can't Get A Credit Card Now

United Army
Posted
Posted

Wow....2 years ago when I moved to the Philippines, I cancelled all my credit cards and went to using debit cards. Now I have been denied by 4 banks for a credit card, their reason, I do not have any credit cards or any revolving accounts with a balance history, which is correct. I do have perfect credit but with using debit cards, the debit cards do not get reported to the credit agencies and since I have no mortgage, no car payment or no credit card or any revolving balances, its like I have died 2 years ago. I never thought this would happen to me, that I cannot get a credit card. Has this happened to anyone else???

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Seems that you have "messed up" , As Not to criticize your actions you should have kept at least 2 cards open,perhaps you should look into a "SECURED" credit card,this way you would have an "active" credit historysince your "retired " maybe your US credit union could assist, will need a USA address or a "APO".as most major US banks will require.I currently use "USAA"as they are VERY military friendly. just maybe they can help in this situation ALSO I ask that you look/review on "other forums"(not this site) regarding CREDIT usage. credit in general.if your concerned about "FRAUD" as you (and others )are outside of the USA and concerned that "someone" may cause Identity theft or fraud,You can put a BLOCK on your credit file, again,, go to 1 of the Credit reporting websites for more info. For Other forum members, it is VERY Important that you check your credit file. credit history at least once a year. ( you can obtain a FREE CREDIT REPORTyearly, it is now the law.)even if you own a house here etc etc. or not planning to go back.. PLEASE CHECK YOUR credit history/report/file.who knows what has happen since your away,, DEBIT cards are just that.. DEBT,,,

Edited by ed villas
  • Like 1

United Army
Posted
Posted

Thanks ed, I may check into your credit union USAA. Yes it seems that I did mess up, but back 2 years ago I just did not want to have any bills and thought with my very good credit I could get credit cards anytime. OH well live and learn.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Wow....2 years ago when I moved to the Philippines, I cancelled all my credit cards and went to using debit cards. Now I have been denied by 4 banks for a credit card, their reason, I do not have any credit cards or any revolving accounts with a balance history, which is correct. I do have perfect credit but with using debit cards, the debit cards do not get reported to the credit agencies and since I have no mortgage, no car payment or no credit card or any revolving balances, its like I have died 2 years ago. I never thought this would happen to me, that I cannot get a credit card. Has this happened to anyone else???
Do you still have a bank account in the US? If so, have you tried applying to that bank? I believe that would be your best shot, but if you have and got refused by them, then the next thing to do might be to apply for one of the secured credit cards which you can look at HERE. I know of a few people who had to go that route and then ended up with regular credit cards later on. Hope that helps.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I've been without a U.S. credit card for so many years and now I too can't even get one anywhere in the U.S. or from my own U.S. bank! I can get one here in the Philippines though, but their credit limit is too small for our intended use like airline ticket purchases, car rental/hotel reservations, pay upfront cash medical bills and or buy anything on credit, unless I go by way of a secured deposit type of a credit card and put my own money up as a security deposit, which may work for me and also establish a credit history here in the Philippines, by which may get me a higher end credit limit (without the use of my security deposit) in the near future or during my life time!

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Another idea just came to mind since I just did this myself, possibly a credit card sponsored by an airline you have frequent flyer miles with might get approved.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Another idea just came to mind since I just did this myself, possibly a credit card sponsored by an airline you have frequent flyer miles with might get approved.
Don't really know how that would work with us since we only use our frequent flyer miles membership with PAL only once every 3 years, so it's not enough to accumulate enough points for the redemption value for their free flights promos! But I'll check into it one of these days eventually about their credit card requirements, which I probably already know what their answer will be!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I am not a "credit expert" but when i was much younger I had various credit issues.What worked for me may not work for others but let me share my experience,, it was a hot summer night,as i was watching TV, when she walked in wearing ... OH wrong experience,NOW here it is, I reestablished, rebuilt my credit history VIA my local credit union(s),I obtained a "Secured" credit card, (backed up with my funds as collateral) then a "Secured" loan(s), which i continued for a few years, paid one off, then start on another "loan"I also LIMITED the number of INQUIRIES seeking "new credit" as this can really hurt your "score"yet the best advice I can give,, 1. IS DONT CLOSE YOUR USA or OTHER country Credit cards or Bank accounts unless necessary .keep at least 2 cards open.who knows what can happen tomorrow or the next week, Most of us have spent a long time establishing our selves & our credit "history" . 2. Your USA or NON RP credit card is much lower in cost than any card issued (that I have seen)and you have many more "RIGHTS" than any issued here in the RP.3. Keep an active watch on your "credit file/history" who knows who has access to your SSN or other info. ID theft can cause many problems. Put a "block" on your file/history as this will limit access to it, 4, Obtain your FREE yearly credit report, even if you Live here, you still have an us address there, 5. if your not that knowledgeable on credit issues , find a website that can refresh your information

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm in no hurry to get back into the credit schemes of things, cash is better! It was due to borrowing that got a lot of people in a financial bind when the bubble burst in the U.S. and when the economy took a nose dive with no recovery in sight! I'm wiser now at my old age without having any credit cards ever since I retired, but unfortunately I didn't a penny to my name when I retired due to all the credit I accumulated during my entire adult working career! Credit cards, I can take it or leave it, but it's still a good tool or back up money for convenience or to borrow time with, if managed properly and one has the money to pay it back in a short period of time!

• Like 1

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Just more info on those free credit reports. You are authorized 1 per year from all three reporting agencies. Plus, your spouse is also authorized 1 per year from each of the 3 agencies. so that is 6 per year for a married couple. That means you can actually get a report every other month from one of them. Normally any problems will show up on all three reporting agencies, so you can keep even a much tighter view of your credit line. I too went debt free 2.5 years ago. I did however keep two cards active . One I use for 90% of my purchases, the other just once in awhile. I pay it off completely every month. This earns me 1% cash back on everything and up to 2.5% on a few things which rotate, sometimes gas, sometimes food or other things that I seldom buy. It earns me about $600 a year back on purchase I make anyway and I pay no interest as I pay it off monthly. I havn't actually checked my credit score in the 2.5 years but at least i have 2 active cards, one of which I run up to approx $1,500. a month before paying it. I know no mortgage, or car payment hurts me, but I doubt if I will ever borrow for anything ever again unless it is some life threatening emergency.