3. 3. Do you sometimes have trouble communicating with your partner

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • Use sign language

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just curiousHow many of us actually learned to speak a language of the Philippines? I know that I tried for awhile but gave up. I was only wanting to be able to say some basic stuff but dont have the dedication to learn. :1247:

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Just curiousHow many of us actually learned to speak a language of the Philippines? I know that I tried for awhile but gave up. I was only wanting to be able to say some basic stuff but dont have the dedication to learn. :1247:
I'm attempting to learn the basics neccesary to shop and bargain, but beyond that, I don't have much interest in learning Tagalog. One of the key factors in my deciding to relocate to the Philippines was the wide use of English here. I'm terrible at learning new languages and knew I needed a place to live that would not require me to learn a new language. The same general concept applies to my wife. If she did not speak English well, I doubt I'd have pursued a relationship with her.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I speak some Bisaya but I understand more than I speak. I can usually understand the drift of a conversation because of key words but I doubt that I will ever be able to speak the language fluently. I have also been trying to learn Tagalog and I have picked up quite a few words in that as well, but just basics. I find Bisaya easier to learn than Tagalog, probably because that is what most of my wife's family speaks. I also had decided on the Philippines because English is supposed to be spoken there but without my wife to translate, I would be in deep dodo because I have found that most workmen, taxi drivers and even many people who work in the malls, only speak limited English or do not understand me unless I tell them what I want in Bisaya. :1247:

• 2 months later...
paul
Posted
Posted

I'm not fluent in Cebuano. But, I have made it a point to learn, and continue learning it, since moving here in 2002. In fact, I think I can safely say that I am an advanced student of Cebuano.I, like Lee, can understand more than I can speak. I can also learn to read and write in Cebuano. If a Filipino doesn't shortcut the shortcuts (if you can follow me there), while texting, I can read text messages in Cebuano pretty well.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

I, like the other 2 posters, understand more bisayan than I speak.I have been using a internet program called "ablis" which teaches you words not grammar.My aim is to build a vocabulary of 1000 words - I currently know about 300 - then learn how to string them togetherusing the correct joining words. My wife says I speak like a 5 year old kid, but I usually manage to make people understand me.I would like to be fluent within a couple of years. I love languages and for me it is a courtesy to the locals to be able to chat tothem in their own language.

Grumpy
Posted
Posted

What is ablis? I googled for it and came up with nothing.Larry D

I, like the other 2 posters, understand more bisayan than I speak.I have been using a internet program called "ablis" which teaches you words not grammar.My aim is to build a vocabulary of 1000 words - I currently know about 300 - then learn how to string them togetherusing the correct joining words. My wife says I speak like a 5 year old kid, but I usually manage to make people understand me.I would like to be fluent within a couple of years. I love languages and for me it is a courtesy to the locals to be able to chat tothem in their own language.

Mik
Posted
Posted

English is one of the official languages here. I will just stick with that."They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time." - Joe Walsh, Life's Been Good

• 2 months later...
parksb2
Posted
Posted
Just curiousHow many of us actually learned to speak a language of the Philippines? I know that I tried for awhile but gave up. I was only wanting to be able to say some basic stuff but dont have the dedication to learn. :th_imstupid:
Just stumbled across this link ... Good old wikipedia !http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cebuano_language

paul
Posted
Posted
Just curiousHow many of us actually learned to speak a language of the Philippines? I know that I tried for awhile but gave up. I was only wanting to be able to say some basic stuff but dont have the dedication to learn.
Something else to consider, Tom, is that it is easier to learn if you are here full time, rather than in an English speaking country full time. So, even if you are dedicated and focus on learning it daily, it will be harder to learn unless your family speaks it all the time in your home.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted
What is ablis? I googled for it and came up with nothing.Larry D Hi Larry, Sorry for the late reply, I've only just noticed your question - this is the site I mnetioned. http://albis.vetsin.com/cgi/content.pl?skin=cebPaul