Living Large? Can't See People Living On $1,500 A Month? Wow

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Jake, looks like you spend a lot of time on the courts. It's a great game, haven't played since college, many moons ago. Careful of that So Cal sun.

• Like 1

piglett
Posted
Posted
Ever notice that some members suggest that $1,500 is a livable budget and then you read another thread where those same members say 4 Million pesos for a condo is a good deal? Or the ones that suggest 30,000 pesos is fair monthly rent for an apartment? You gotta give your head a shake if you plan to live here on a small budget. Of course it can be done but realize you are going to be living like a local and depending on the cheap rents to maintain that budget. And yes, 4 Million is a typical price for a western style home, be it a condo or a free standing house. Many sell for more, some sell for less, but the typical western male I know live in a house or condo that's worth about 4 mill. I cannot buy that on $1,500 a month.
maybe some members were talking about living on $800 a month because they already own a place ( as in paid for)i know when start spending my winters in the provinve i intend to buy after the 1st season.however i will only be a part timer so i will still be able to work 8 months out of the year. piglett
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
thrdchance
Posted
Posted

I will be recieveing a medical pension and social security in 6 years. its not much but after being with a filipina and her family for almost 3 years I think adn believe $1,500 a month is more then enough. If you live extravigant in the US you'll want the same in the philippines and you'll feel richer once you're there. However, I would not be fooled to think you are any wealther there then you were in the US. Im just assuming - I never lived in the philippines nor had I ever been there - but since I have friends who actually live there all their life adn share their environment with me - I think I can handle the economics of the area. Currently I make less then $20,000 a year in the US and yes I have insurance a car and rent utilities etc... Its all about attitude. you live how you feel and in my experience I live as I belong in all the countries I had lived in - do as they do in rome.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Whatever amount is your income in the United States will give you an equivalent lifestyle or better in the Philippines. To accomplish this, you need to practice substitution. Instead of bread, learn to enjoy rice. Instead of beef, eat pork or chicken. Vegetables in the Philippines are not eaten salad style. It is either boiled in a soup or pan fried. The electrical bill for an airconditioner during the hot, humid months probably equals your winter heating bill, if you come from a cold climate area. Restaurants that offer American, Japanese, European cuisine tend to be expensive. Try frequenting Pilipino and Chinese restaurants. International premium beers are available, but local beer can be just as good. It is the same for liquor. Try locally produced rhum and gin. If you insist on hamburger, pizza, fried chicken, etc., the large chains like MacDonalds, Shakeys, and Kentucky Fried Chicken charge either similar prices or lower. There is even a Big Mac Index published by The Economist, a highly respected British business magazine,which measures the purchasing power parity between two currencies. In 2011, the average cost for a Big Mac in the United States is estimated by the magazine at $4.07. The 2011 price in the Philippines is $2.38.Whether your income is $1,500 or higher or lower, it is possible to achieve an equivalent lifestyle in the Philippines

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted

There is no CORRECT answer to this topic. No two human beings are the same! One bloke likes to drive a Ferrari whilst the other likes his Hyundai! All i know is that the missus and i will have an income closer to $1,000 than $1,500 and we hold no fears about that at all.

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I would be worried and concerned if my wife and I had to live on a $1,000 or $1,500 a month here in the Philippines let alone in the U.S., because it would just be barely surviving IMHO, but there will be others that would say otherwise! $1,500 a month in the Philippines was OK 13 years ago, but that same $1,500 wouldn't be in today's economy, we know because we've been there and done that 13 years ago! Our lives has just gotten better recently because I've started collecting my other pensions at the ages of 60 and 62 doubling my income and a little extra due to the 3.6% COLA across the board for 2012! So, each to their own! Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes! :541:

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I would be worried and concerned if my wife and I had to live on a $1,000 or $1,500 a month here in the Philippines let alone in the U.S., because it would just be barely surviving IMHO, but there will be others that would say otherwise! $1,500 a month in the Philippines was OK 13 years ago, but that same $1,500 wouldn't be in today's economy, we know because we've been there and done that 13 years ago! Our lives has just gotten better recently because I've started collecting my other pensions at the ages of 60 and 62 doubling my income and a little extra due to the 3.6% COLA across the board for 2012! So, each to their own! Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes! :horse:
Art, i like your posts and i respect you for what you say and advice given.I take under consideration everything you say for after all, you live in RP while as yet, i don't.The point i'm making however is, everyone is different and in our case, well, we are just both very simple people. We have been married 8 yrs now and we know what our lifestyle is.Also from time spent in Cebu we know it is way cheaper there for us as compared to Australia. PhP40,000 - 50,000 per month for us there is plenty, infact we would be hard pressed to spend that much every month.If for some reason it doesn't work out for us, then my friend i will be the first to eat humble pie.As you say. yes it is indeed "different strokes for different folks" My wife is very strict with money hehehe, and very good with budgeting,We don't want for anything here in Australia and we know we will have the same in RP, it's just that our "wants" in life may be considerably less expensive compared to others.
  • Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bundy,Don't let me discourage you, because as you mentioned everyone is different and I'm different! My Fil/Am Uncle who can live on his $800 a month U.S. Social Security pension in the Barrio of Olongapo City is different! We just happen to live in an expensive area so our cost of living is higher! Different strokes for different folks always fits whenever it comes to different lifestyles as to what people are accustomed to or one just has to adapt/adjust to fit their needs to make ends meet! Life is always a juggling act when it concerns money, because life is what we all make to be the best way we know how with what assets or source of income we may have where ever one decides to live!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Please just never leave out the cost of health insurance or the cost of putting away for the possible emergencies. When my wife and I are living our 4 months a year in our condo, our cost is about $1500 a month and we go out to eat all the time, but I do not set aside money for health costs because I bring all my meds with me because I have health insurance in the US and I bring a couple of high limit credit cards. If I were to have to buy my meds in the Philippines or have to set aside for possible emergencies, then we could not live on that amount, even if we stayed home more.As most of you know we have been doing the back and forth for quite a while, and while it used to cost us about $1000 a month 4 years ago, it is now up to $1500 a month earlier this year and we went out way less than the years before. Costs have gone up, so if someone is going to move to the Philippines, please take all costs into account and be sure to have a credit card or large reserve fund of some type for emergencies. I am sure Mikeb did not plan to have an accident, yet it happened. One day crossing the street I almost got hit by a motorcycle on the sidewalk, I surely did not plan for that and had he hit me instead of missed me, I would have been prepared to cover the costs of a hospital stay. I hear about some expats refusing to take care of their teeth or go in for checkups because they are on a short budget, those items and others when not taken care of can end up causing complications, so IMHO it is always better to live way below your monthly income, no matter what that income will be and have some type of backup plan.

• Like 1