Windows Xp Still Ranks As The Top Operating System

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I still have an old XP computer that I rarely use and hate to give up because I liked XP so much, yet the computer I do use is 7 upgraded from Vista and I am happy with it. What operating system do you use, and why? Windows XP turns 10, still thrives Ten years ago today, Oct. 25, Microsoft released Windows XP, which became one of its most popular flavors of the Windows operating system — largely because what came after it, Windows Vista, was so terrible.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I prefer using Vista over XP, but I wouldn't mind still using XP if Vista or Windows 7 never came about! Windows 7 I don't care for, except that it says that it has a built-in fax software which I haven't yet looked in to ! Has anyone ever used the fax feature on the Windows 7 OS? Yeah, XP can keep on going like "the Energizer Bunny", it is still the best OS I've ever experienced! My main OS I use is Vista Home Basic, only because it was what came with my desk top! I have XP on my Dell 8 inch mini laptop, works great! My wife's 17 inch Toshiba laptop has Windows 7, I think it sucks JMHO though!

Jake
Posted
Posted
I still have an old XP computer that I rarely use and hate to give up because I liked XP so much, yet the computer I do use is 7 upgraded from Vista and I am happy with it. What operating system do you use, and why?Windows XP turns 10, still thrives Ten years ago today, Oct. 25, Microsoft released Windows XP, which became one of its most popular flavors of the Windows operating system — largely because what came after it, Windows Vista, was so terrible.
If I remember correctly, both Windows XP and the internet greatly enhanced each other and took offlike a runaway tornado. Back then the video games also started to saturate the market due to greatdesign and upgrades of video graphic cards. I did an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 a couple years ago. Vista Home Edition was simply too slowand too fat, which took up significant amount space on the hard drive. I will probably wait for a couplemore years for Windows 8 to figure out their initial bugs and lower their price. Below is a link from Microsoft about their operating system for the last 20 years of so: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/history Jake

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I just purchased a new laptop running windows 7 home premium,so far very happy with it but still using my desk top with xp most of the time.When I replace this desktop I dont think I will miss anything from XP but its only early days yet and need to spend a bit of time to get to know it all.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I now run Win 7 SP1 64 bit on all of my comps.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I now run Win 7 SP1 64 bit on all of my comps.
Same, best Windows OS by far. BTW, xp has an End of Life of April, 2014, meaning no support after that..

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Windows 7 Professional comes with a Virtual XP mode. Some of my older applications do not run in the 64bit Windows 7 so I run the Windows XP virtual machine on my laptop. Lots of businesses out there still using Windows XP. I have even run across a few places still using Windows 2000!

• 2 months later...
Mike S
Posted
Posted

When I built my computer I wanted to take advantage of the extra ram it had so I had to go to Win7 Home premium as XP couldn't handle it ..... I hated the idea and cursed for an hour trying to get used to it ..... finally decided to dual boot my system using the Win7 and XP pro .... then I went on Google and started learning how to make Win7 more user friendly .... there was a ton of stuff out there ..... after about 2 months I took the XP pro HD out and haven't put it back in sense ..... IMHO Win7 has so much more to offer and a pile of good features ..... haven't looked back once ...... now as to the new Windows coming out ...... bull puckie ..... ain't interested ..... :541:

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm not a gamer or a computer whiz! I'm just happy that my OS works weather it's XP or Vista and it's user friendly! I find Win 7 somewhat troublesome and not that user friendly, just MHO! Google Chrome seems to be a great default web browser and I plan to stay with it and use Firefox and IE8 as my backup web browsers, because to me Google Chrome seems to be the faster web browser of the three!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Windows? What the heck is Windows? LMAO!!! I used to work in IT before the internet was the internet... Yeah, ex-military! Without going into my Windows qualifications and certs, suffice to say I won't use Windows unless I have to. So what do I use? I use Ubuntu 11.10 right now on my antique Compaq nc6230 that I bought second hand... And since I use this for basically just personal use (daily trash and email, blogging, research and the books I'm writing - not to mention coming on here!), I don't really need anything else! Much better, much more reliable, never crashes (Windows was at least once in 7 boots) and easier to use.... And did I mention that it boots - from hitting the power switch to using the desktop - in less than 60 seconds? Cost of my Ubuntu? Nada! It's a free download! By the way, if anyone is into music or film editing, you can download the apps for free as well or go all out and download another flavour of Ubuntu called Ubuntu Studio - has it all there! For free! And if you doubt the quality, google the editors (I llike the OpenShot VidEditor) and you can find out how many top ranked Hollywood movies were also done using this same software. Anybody know of a school that can use computers and you have an old one that you think is just junk for the age? Try downloading Ubuntu's educational OS package (forget the name right now) and see if it works.... if not, there is another package that works in older machines yet and you can add the educational programs as needed... And the school can now have another computer for their use! Now I like Ubuntu for many reasons but there are also many more OSs out there that can do what you want better than Windows and they are mostly free for the download... Just gotta go out and get them!Cheers!Bob

• Like 2