Over Population

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I found this article interesting because it hits the nail on the head many times within it. Below are some of my picks from it, so I wonder if remittance is helping or actually hurting? Why fix a problem if OFW and those married to foreigners will band aid it for you. EDITORIAL - 7 billion and counting The Philippines, where a newborn baby was also picked yesterday to symbolize the seven-billionth addition to the global population, is among the countries with the highest population growth rates. And while the Philippines is not as hard-pressed as the poorest countries to meet the demands of its booming population, the inability of the state to meet the ever-growing demands of its people is evident everywhere. All public facilities and basic services are overwhelmed, from traffic-choked roads to schools that are forced to hold three shifts daily to accommodate enrollment. In many government hospitals, mothers must share not only rooms but also beds, and overcrowding is so bad infants have died of sepsis. There are never enough cops to keep everyone safe. And the lack of employment opportunities has forced a tenth of the country’s population to seek jobs overseas, breaking up families even as the massive remittances allow political leaders to maintain the dysfunctional status quo.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

here is a quote. it sums it up.I would like to make more comments but I dont want to get/be banned(read between the lines statement)WHAT I CAN say, is i am disgusted ,Pissed off and its a shame that this occurs in the 21th century :angry: A visit to any of the slums in Metro Manila and other urban centers will give the most graphic manifestation of high population growth with no corresponding improvement in the state’s ability to meet the needs of its people. In this environment,MILLIONS OF IMPOVERISHED FILIPINO WOMEN HAVE NO ACCESS TO REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SERVICES because several male senators,pandering to the medieval leaders of a male chauvinist faith, :thumbsup: are sitting on a bill that would guarantee universal reproductive health care.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
here is a quote. it sums it up.I would like to make more comments but I dont want to get/be banned(read between the lines statement)WHAT I CAN say, is i am disgusted ,Pissed off and its a shame that this occurs in the 21th century :angry: A visit to any of the slums in Metro Manila and other urban centers will give the most graphic manifestation of high population growth with no corresponding improvement in the state’s ability to meet the needs of its people. In this environment,MILLIONS OF IMPOVERISHED FILIPINO WOMEN HAVE NO ACCESS TO REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SERVICES because several male senators,pandering to the medieval leaders of a male chauvinist faith, :thumbsup: are sitting on a bill that would guarantee universal reproductive health care.
Totally agree with you -- "several male senators are pandering to the medieval leaders of a male chauvinist faith".Does that mean they're sleeping together? Yeah, I've seen many areas of Manila with people living on the edgeof no hope. The rat population even has more food to eat -- while the bishops, priests and government protecteach other of cardinal sins. Jake
  • Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

i have brought this up in other posts and i will bring it up again, What are you(forum members) doing to "help",advise,inform,assist,consult to those we help.(thru RH info)By convincing those to "Limit or reduce" the growth in their family .

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am concerned about the attitude of the clergy towards population growth. In another thread I pointed out that the clergy is concerned about building overpasses on Cebu streets. In the same way that I believe they should stay out of civil engineering, I believe it is my place to stay out of the way Catholics implement their beliefs. Some of their deeply held beliefs involve procreation. Live and let live.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
I am concerned about the attitude of the clergy towards population growth. In another thread I pointed out that the clergy is concerned about building overpasses on Cebu streets. In the same way that I believe they should stay out of civil engineering, I believe it is my place to stay out of the way Catholics implement their beliefs. Some of their deeply held beliefs involve procreation. Live and let live.
I have also heard a few things bantered about here. One of them is if a couple is either unable or unwilling to produce children, the Catholic priest will outright refuse to marry you. Do I feel this is true? Considering the unsustainable population growth and the Catholics stand on that I have to be honest and say yes. Another is that a woman of childbearing age is shunned by her peers if she has no children. Solid evidence of the above? Sorry, no, just banter but if true, it gives me pause on the future of this country.
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
i have brought this up in other posts and i will bring it up again, What are you(forum members) doing to "help",advise,inform,assist,consult to those we help.(thru RH info)By convincing those to "Limit or reduce" the growth in their family .
Is it really our job to inflict our ideas or ways on another society just because we were brought up in a different way or live in a different culture.Is our way always the correct way? Is our advice really the best advice? Are we in a position to convince anyone?
  • Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

We, as outsiders are already helping the Filipino local economy which in turn help many people at all levels of their likelihoods just by foreigners living and or visiting the Philippines and spending their money! It's just up to the Filipino people to get their government, politicians, city and provincial officials to change things for the better by also getting tight on corruption! Foreigners have no say in any of the Philippine government's internal workings! Just spend your money and pay your employees decent wages and tip those generously for services well done and or if you are one of the few well to do foreigners, give to charity what you feel is adequate!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Is it really our job to inflict our ideas or ways on another society just because we were brought up in a different way or live in a different culture.Is our way always the correct way? Is our advice really the best advice? Are we in a position to convince anyone?
Bossman i agree with you fully on your post."is our advice really the best advice''? but how do we "convince" that a large family is too much of a burden? that 2 children will provide as much love& happiness as 3,4,5 children...and the cost to sustain will be much more affordable. do we do it in a "low key approach", "reverse psychology" , do we try to show the cost benefit analysis?( would this be effective or appropriate here in the RP ) if you have 100p ,that would be divided by 2 children = 50 p per child100p divided by 3 children =33p per child.that the monthly income is X monthly expenses are A2.your other household costs are B1.B2 etcthen in a few years time school tuition .,medical costs ,the college etc etc.. Yes we are "family" to our (new)RP family BUT we are still OUTSIDERS .Being too BLUNT or not considerate will turn them off faster than a (fill in the blank) :dance: Do we "suggest/convince" in a way that this is "their thought"? "their ideal"? Comments from others would be greatly appreciated.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Bossman i agree with you fully on your post."is our advice really the best advice''? but how do we "convince" that a large family is too much of a burden? that 2 children will provide as much love& happiness as 3,4,5 children...and the cost to sustain will be much more affordable. do we do it in a "low key approach", "reverse psychology" , do we try to show the cost benefit analysis?( would this be effective or appropriate here in the RP ) if you have 100p ,that would be divided by 2 children = 50 p per child100p divided by 3 children =33p per child.that the monthly income is X monthly expenses are A2.your other household costs are B1.B2 etcthen in a few years time school tuition .,medical costs ,the college etc etc.. Yes we are "family" to our (new)RP family BUT we are still OUTSIDERS .Being too BLUNT or not considerate will turn them off faster than a (fill in the blank) :dance: Do we "suggest/convince" in a way that this is "their thought"? "their ideal"? Comments from others would be greatly appreciated.
Based on my personal and direct involvement, I have tried to advise my wife's younger half-sisters about menin general. I felt morally obligated as their legal guardian when they suddenly showed up to stay under my roof. To no avail, unwanted pregnancies, drugs and jealousy/controlling issues from dick%ead boyfriends, started toinvade my privacy. Not to mention my stress level coming to a boiling point. One day we were shown a glassjar that belonged to one of Judy's half sister. It contained a fetus that was a few weeks old. Without my wife'spermission, I gave the young mother 5 minutes to vacate my residence. She couldn't even tell me who the fatherwas -- it was a multiple choice. Bottom line, I lost it......family finance and lack of priority of my immediate family (we had four young kids), I couldnot take it anymore and so I escaped back to USA without my wife. All throughout my life and especially in themilitary, I pride myself in planning ahead to avoid or reduce unforeseen crisis. Yeah, I lost it -- it was the darkestmoment of my life (1997). But all is good now and we have made serious commitments in maintaining our home and family. From now on,the immediate family will always come first. I'm willing to try again back to my native land and force myself to really,really relax during my golden years. No more giving out advice, moral and financial support. Trying to help forthose who will not listen, will put you in the grave prematurely. Jake
  • Like 4