Prayers In The Supermarket

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

When I was a complete newbie to the Philippines and went to the supermarket to find some beer, I did not know what was happening when I looked around and everyone had stopped moving, bit of a shock actually till I realized what was going on. It was prayer time.What do you guys do when this is going on, I remember talking to someone about this in a bar once and he said he just keeps shopping but to me that was a disrespect to the people.Tom

scianna54
Posted
Posted
When I was a complete newbie to the Philippines and went to the supermarket to find some beer, I did not know what was happening when I looked around and everyone had stopped moving, bit of a shock actually till I realized what was going on. It was prayer time.What do you guys do when this is going on, I remember talking to someone about this in a bar once and he said he just keeps shopping but to me that was a disrespect to the people.Tom
I am completely annoyed every time they do it (I think it is at 6 PM each day). But I learned to just stand still and wait one minute until it is over. .

paul
Posted
Posted

Vivian was recently with me at Monarch Sands Resort. With us, I had taken my IM7 and my iPod. We began listening to Hell's Bells, by A/C D/C. It was funny as hell when she made the statement that it was prayer time, at the beginning of the song. :3_8_14[1]:

chimellie
Posted
Posted

We were at the store in Gaisano Mall a few years back with my wife ( I didn't know they pray in the store in the P.I) . I was talking to her while everyone stopped and pray, I still didn't have a clue what was going on untill my while whispered to me :" shut up, we are praying" , the people were looking at me and I felt like a dummy.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Chi .... that was probably the grocery store in SM at 3:00pm as the other day they did that to us ..... although I don't keep shopping I do look around at the store items and move around ...I have seen many Filipinos doing the same ....... it is not my custom and I see no signs that say you must pray during the prayer session ........ now I just plan my visits so I am done before 3:00pm ...... less embarrassment for all concerned ....... haven't seen that at Ayala ......

chimellie
Posted
Posted
Chi .... that was probably the grocery store in SM at 3:00pm as the other day they did that to us ..... although I don't keep shopping I do look around at the store items and move around ...I have seen many Filipinos doing the same ....... it is not my custom and I see no signs that say you must pray during the prayer session ........ now I just plan my visits so I am done before 3:00pm ...... less embarrassment for all concerned ....... haven't seen that at Ayala ......
Thanks Mike...How come my wife never told about the praying in the market ? Just for the respect I will stop talking and moving if there's a praying. My wife never told me about anything regarding to her customes, what they do in Cebu that we don't do here. She seems to get a kick out of it when she sees me confused.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Geeeeez Chi ....... she must be laughing all the time then ....... :SugarwareZ-015: ..... 23_9_10[1].gif

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Prayers . . not necessarily in the supermarket. . I am awakened most mornings by a 'parade' of 4 or more prayer chanters who walk by my house on the way to the chapel. We are talking 4:30 to 4:45 AM folks . . . . One has a microphone and one has on overly distorted portable amplifier, the result sounds like a poor quality megaphone. My wife tells me it is the Rosary they are chanting. . . Why so early . . Why so loud . . Why so irritating . . but I have been firmly instructed by my wife to say nothing to disrupt 'God's work'

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Yes, unfortunately there are many who believe that because it has something to do with their "GOD". that in itself give them the right to intrude on anyone and everyone's life...It is like the Johovah Witness or Mormons who drive right through my gate if it isn't locked, ignoring the signs that say Private Driveway, Do Not Enter.....and park on my lawn and then expect me to spend time with them discussing something that I am totally not interested in....I told one carload that did this, " I now have your drivers license number and you are tresspassing. It will take me about 30 seconds to get my shotgun out of the bedroom. I strongly suggest you not be here when I get back because I shoot trespassers...I turned to walk into the house, by the time I got back to the door with my shotgun, they were nothing but taillights hauling A&& down my driveway..The people with the microphone think they have the right to distrub everyone at 4:30am because they are praying...It is accepted by the local, so I accept things like that, but that doesn't mean I like it....Jim

chimellie
Posted
Posted
Prayers . . not necessarily in the supermarket. . I am awakened most mornings by a 'parade' of 4 or more prayer chanters who walk by my house on the way to the chapel. We are talking 4:30 to 4:45 AM folks . . . . One has a microphone and one has on overly distorted portable amplifier, the result sounds like a poor quality megaphone. My wife tells me it is the Rosary they are chanting. . . Why so early . . Why so loud . . Why so irritating . . but I have been firmly instructed by my wife to say nothing to disrupt 'God's work'
If I were you I would talk to Barangay Captain...You'll be surprised, he most likely will help you out. Our neighbor stole about 4 meters of our land, we had the land surveyed to prove it, we went to the Barangay Captain and he made our neighbor to sign the paper to give it back to us. I will bring him a gift when I return to Cebu next year.