Man Killed In Bus-Bike Collision (Something To Think About)

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

There are multiple stories with the link. What caught my attention was the 3d story about the motorcycle rider getting run over by the Mitsubishi Adventure. The guy that was killed was trying to overtake another motorcycle, he crashed and was thrown into the path of the oncoming Mitsubishi. The driver of the Mitsubishi is now waiting for charges to be filed against him? We do not have all the facts behind the accident. Reading stuff like that scares me to drive there again. Bad enough I was in a roll over last year. I am extremely thankful no one was walking on the side of the road. http://newsinfo.inqu...olice-files-118 Another man was also killed in a separate road accident in barangay Cantuod, Balamban town, western Cebu last Saturday afternoon.A Mitsubishi Adventure ran over George Mianon .Police said Mianon was driving a motorcycle and tried to overtake another motorcycle.Mianon’s motorcycle crashed and he was thrown off to the opposite lane of the road where he was ran over by the private car driven Dick Ferrolino, 41.Mianon was rushed to the Balamban District Hospital then moved to a Cebu City hospital where he later died.Ferrolino was detained at the Balamban police precinct while waiting for charges to be filed against him, said police./CORRESPONDENT RHEA RUTH V. ROSELL

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks Flyaway, Another sad and tragic story about Philippine road fatalities. For the life of me, I still can't understand why thedriver of that Mitsubishi is being detained. Under the "reckless imprudence" law, I would assume that you wouldbe detained as your car rolled over (after being hit by another vehicle), if you hit someone walking along the side of the road. Is that assumption correct? Respectfully -- Jake

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
Thanks Flyaway, Another sad and tragic story about Philippine road fatalities. For the life of me, I still can't understand why thedriver of that Mitsubishi is being detained. Under the "reckless imprudence" law, I would assume that you wouldbe detained as your car rolled over (after being hit by another vehicle), if you hit someone walking along theside of the road. Is that assumption correct? Respectfully -- Jake
That was my thought exactly.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It makes no sense at all if a driver doing the right thing in his correct lane hits a bike which was thrown into his path,then awaits charges for it. Seems all backwards to me. :89:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Their country their rules. That's why I would be reluctant to drive a car over there.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Their country their rules. That's why I would be reluctant to drive a car over there.
Yes it is but I just cant see the logic in it. I would never drive there either but then again might get charged if I was a passenger in a taxi that hit someone just because I was there. :89:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Not to be another “why Philippines sucks” kinda guy but yea there is no logic. Lets say you are a passenger in a Taxi, a drunk Filipino suddenly walks out into traffic your cab hits and kills him guess who will pay? Ten to one it’s the Rich Kano who will pay blood money, amicable settlement or whatever you want to call it.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Not to be another “why Philippines sucks” kinda guy but yea there is no logic. Lets say you are a passenger in a Taxi, a drunk Filipino suddenly walks out into traffic your cab hits and kills him guess who will pay? Ten to one it’s the Rich Kano who will pay blood money, amicable settlement or whatever you want to call it.
John the former owner of a bar in Cebu was telling me once a motorbike rider came up the wrong side of the road and they collided,(the rider was drunk) anyway the rider survived but was in a bad way,the police told John he had to go to the hospital to pay which he did to get him admitted. Later the family found out where John lived and came asking him to pay all the bills,in the end he paid a sum on condition the patient was moved to a public ward so he lost a heap of peso on medical bills and then had to fix his car which was out of action for sometime as parts had to come from else where. Not good driving in the Philippines in my opinion.
  • Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Did these people talk with a lawyer before they agreed to pay? These stories seem to be hard to believe for me.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Did these people talk with a lawyer before they agreed to pay? These stories seem to be hard to believe for me.
Trust me John has been living and working in the Philippines for a very long time up until recently, he is not a newbie so I'm sure he did what was best.