Man Killed In Bus-Bike Collision (Something To Think About)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I know it sounds ridiculous Gary but I know from an expat living on Leyte what I said was true. It was a trike he was riding in that hit a drunk guess who paid blood money, hospital and burial? What was more shocking is how little that came to.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I believe you but would like to know if he had talked to a lawyer before he decided to pay?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

In Dave’s case he lived there and wanted to avoid a grudge feud with the victim’s family members living in the area. Dave moved to Cebu while his wife Liz worked it through the Baranguy captain and the family. From what I have been told and read online finding an “amicable” settlement is often the best course of action when that kind of thing goes down.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don’t remember Dave saying anything about lawyers. Many times once Filipino lawyers become involved in issues they look to the Foreigner as a cash cow. Unfortunately our family has had this problem recently.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I believe you but would like to know if he had talked to a lawyer before he decided to pay?
I dont know the answer but I do recall him saying the family came to him with crocodile tears,maybe he did it out of compassion or to save anymore problems for him but he set a limit on what he would pay and as far as I know that was the end of it.

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I think it would be difficult to say no to a family that might have been very poor and unable to pay for care or a funeral, but, it is a whole different thing to believe that you might have been somehow at fault and liable. It does seem that many times in the Philippines that it is more a matter of who can pay, rather than who should pay. I certainly do not have the answer to that problem.

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Well If you are in a taxi and the taxi driver hits someone I cant believe you will be responsible. What if you are in a bus or jeepnee, Are you still responsible. I would think you have to be the owner of the vehicle to be charged. When I had my motorcycle accident the taxi driver cut me off and I hit his backend and I flew off the bike and my head hit a parked truck. A lawyer just happened to be going by and saw it happen. He said it was my fault because I hit the taxi. He said it didn,t matter how it happened but only who hit who. I ended up paying the taxi company. As I was laying there on the road before they took me to the hospital ( i was covered in blood ) the owner of the truck that my head hit was pointing out to me a small piece of rubber that was loose around the rim and was holding out his hand for money ( i was still laying on the pavement and he was leaning over me ). He was lucky I was in shock as I would have told him a few choice words. I was one of those crazy foreigners that drove around with shorts and a muscle shirt and boy did I pay for that, I had road burns all over my body and I crushed my left hand and to this day have no feeling in 2 of my fingers. The owner of the taxi company was Muslim and was arguing with me that I had to pay for the whole taxi to be painted as it would not match. Luckily the lawyer who stopped, argued with him that if it goes to court you will not see your money for a long time and it was in his best interest to take what he can get now. I gave him 9000 pesos. All this was happening while I laid there on the road bleeding like a stuck pig.

• Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Taxi's seem to be involved with a lot of traffic incidents. Just saw this one this morning. My first thought is what are these people doing sleeping on the pavement in the first place? No charges filed after the victims’ families reached an amicable settlement. http://newsinfo.inqu...by-speeding-car MANILA, Philippines—Three people, including a two-year-old girl, were killed while two others were injured after a speeding car hit them as they were sleeping on the pavement, just a few meters away from a busy street in Quezon City early Monday.The fatalities were identified as Manuel Maming, 23, a pedicab driver; his girlfriend, Roan Reyna, 18; and two-year-old Wendy Peraleja.Maming died on the spot while Reyna and Peraleja passed away as they were being treated at the nearby United Doctors Medical Center.The young girl’s mother, Lani, sustained injuries as well as a tricycle driver identified as Russel Lumugdang. They were also treated at UDMC.The accident happened at 4:45 a.m. Monday in front of a BPI Family Bank branch on Quezon Ave. near Welcome Rotunda, which marks the boundary between Quezon City and Manila.Chief Inspector Reynaldo Medina of the Quezon City Police District’s Traffic Enforcement Unit said they arrested the driver of the speeding car, Christian Charles Lim, a college student.Lim claimed he was on his way to Manila when a taxi cab overtook his car and then suddenly cut in front of his Honda Civic (plate no. TLZ 972).According to traffic investigator Police Officer 1 Jun Policarpio, the car veered out of control and slammed into a jeepney waiting for passengers at the corner of Kanlaon St.Lim’s car then ran over the five victims, who were sleeping on flattened cartons and makeshift mats on the pavement in front of the bank.Police, however, said no charges would be filed against Lim after the victims’ families reached an amicable settlement with him.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
Well If you are in a taxi and the taxi driver hits someone I cant believe you will be responsible. What if you are in a bus or jeepnee, Are you still responsible. I would think you have to be the owner of the vehicle to be charged. When I had my motorcycle accident the taxi driver cut me off and I hit his backend and I flew off the bike and my head hit a parked truck. A lawyer just happened to be going by and saw it happen. He said it was my fault because I hit the taxi. He said it didn,t matter how it happened but only who hit who. I ended up paying the taxi company. As I was laying there on the road before they took me to the hospital ( i was covered in blood ) the owner of the truck that my head hit was pointing out to me a small piece of rubber that was loose around the rim and was holding out his hand for money ( i was still laying on the pavement and he was leaning over me ). He was lucky I was in shock as I would have told him a few choice words. I was one of those crazy foreigners that drove around with shorts and a muscle shirt and boy did I pay for that, I had road burns all over my body and I crushed my left hand and to this day have no feeling in 2 of my fingers. The owner of the taxi company was Muslim and was arguing with me that I had to pay for the whole taxi to be painted as it would not match. Luckily the lawyer who stopped, argued with him that if it goes to court you will not see your money for a long time and it was in his best interest to take what he can get now. I gave him 9000 pesos. All this was happening while I laid there on the road bleeding like a stuck pig.
Many people think a motorbike can stop faster than a car. Amazing how it is the thought of money going through peoples heads instead of the thought of another human being that is injured and needs medical attention.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That is exactly what

Many people think a motorbike can stop faster than a car. Amazing how it is the thought of money going through peoples heads instead of the thought of another human being that is injured and needs medical attention.
"Money going through peoples head" Yea, and we are those rich Kano expats with money falling out our pockets.