Supporting the Family

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
My Wife's brother and sister are both in the U.S. and have jobs, I loaned them some money on the stipulation that they pay me back! Guess what? It has been over a year now and they still haven't paid me back! I recently sent them both an email with my bank account and sternly told them to pay me back ASAP! Now, I just have to wait and see! I don't give out free money anymore when they have jobs!
This is a good point,"when they have jobs" thats why I don't feel its my position to give money except to help out without having to bear the full cost.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
getting married does not obligate you to support her family, get this straight right off, i do not support my wifes family ,i help with some little things, anything other than that they are on their own, unless you live the life style of a westerner $1500 will be fine, If your girl has trouble with that get an other,
My wife's family has never gained or asked anything of me except a few weeks ago when her father who is in need of an eye operation became the first request.I considered this but thought that since my wife has brothers and sisters either working or married to someone working then my stance on the matter was that they can come up with half and I will pay the other half.I dont want to start a trend but at the same time I don't want her father to go blind either.Maybe it sounds bad of me but I dont have any spare money myself and battle from week to week so its a balancing act for me as well and I am sure it is for her family as well so between us I hope the problem will be solved.
Now you get what I mean eh! "It's always a matter of money"!
It may always be a matter of money but we cant let it rule our life or happiness.I guess the last resort for me would be to sell my little red Toyota!
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
getting married does not obligate you to support her family, get this straight right off, i do not support my wifes family ,i help with some little things, anything other than that they are on their own, unless you live the life style of a westerner $1500 will be fine, If your girl has trouble with that get an other,
My wife's family has never gained or asked anything of me except a few weeks ago when her father who is in need of an eye operation became the first request.I considered this but thought that since my wife has brothers and sisters either working or married to someone working then my stance on the matter was that they can come up with half and I will pay the other half.I dont want to start a trend but at the same time I don't want her father to go blind either.Maybe it sounds bad of me but I dont have any spare money myself and battle from week to week so its a balancing act for me as well and I am sure it is for her family as well so between us I hope the problem will be solved.
Now you get what I mean eh! "It's always a matter of money"!
It may always be a matter of money but we cant let it rule our life or happiness.I guess the last resort for me would be to sell my little red Toyota!
Yeah! It's each to their own, weather or not to support one's extended family depending on your's and their situations or circumstances! Hey! I'm not broke or penniless! Money doesn't rule our life or happiness, it's a resource to manage and make or better our lifestyle! And no, I don't need to sell my "Little Red" Toyota! As matter of fact I just submitted for a pre-authorized loan to purchase a new car in a few days! Having money can also make one's life comfortable and content as long one can afford it and not go into debt by supporting one's extended family! My handing out free money is over! It's now time to collect from those who can now pay it back! Yup! It's pay back time from them, to me! If it wasn't for my doings all these years, they wouldn't be where they are today! So, pay it forward, the cash cow has run dry for all tense and purposes in their mind's eyes! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 3

Braddo
Posted
Posted

I have no problem with supporting my wifes family, I send them $500 a month this puts food on the table pays the bills sends the 3 boys to private school, pays the house keeper and what ever else BUT we do up a list on how much to spend on food, trike fares, electricity, fuel for the car, if they run out before the next money is due then bad luck, and they know this, so far they haven't run out( not that they told me anyway) we have explained that my wife and I like most live from pay to pay and if one of us loses their job then the money stops maybe enough for food but the rest goes on hold till we get on our feet again. Luckily this has not happened but could very well any day.

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have no problem with supporting my wifes family, I send them $500 a month this puts food on the table pays the bills sends the 3 boys to private school, pays the house keeper and what ever else BUT we do up a list on how much to spend on food, trike fares, electricity, fuel for the car, if they run out before the next money is due then bad luck, and they know this, so far they haven't run out( not that they told me anyway) we have explained that my wife and I like most live from pay to pay and if one of us loses their job then the money stops maybe enough for food but the rest goes on hold till we get on our feet again. Luckily this has not happened but could very well any day.
Been there and done all that 23 yrs ago! That's why I no longer have to support my extended family anymore ever since I helped them to immigrate to the U.S.! Just imagine the time and cost all that took in 23 years? I'm finally relieved of the burden of having to support anyone and we can now enjoy our retirement in peace without any more of a financial burden on to us! Life is now the way I like it as I planned it all along! The saying goes, "Give them the equipment to fish and..............you know the rest of how the saying goes! I was just fortunate that my in-laws had many years left for them to work in the U.S. and qualify for their U.S. Social Security and Medicare benefits and petitioned their other children from the Philippines! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Braddo
Posted
Posted

Mmmmmm food for thought there Jake, Australia's a nice place, Unemployment money, free hospital, free Travel, cheap apartments if you are a pensioner I may just start planting the bug in Mama's ear now her and the three boys will love it here then they can support me over there yes that's it I see the light Thanks Jake :13_4_10[1]:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Excellent Ed! :13_4_10[1]:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Has anyone have any recent stories that they care to update the forum regarding

"Supporting-the-family" aka the family tax

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our immediate family never has been an issue they insulate us from more distant family members who have become very interested in the Rich Kano.

Not sure if this kinda story is what you were looking for Bubba. My niece (who we love very much) has graduated college. Now we need to figure out who will be next for college. This could be a problem as we need to be fair and our choice not cause any hard feeling. When we next visit it will get figured out. Frankly my Mom (mother in law) will be the one my wife and I listen to, she knows whats up and I trust her absolutely in all things.

More or less we don't give cash but do provide education be it basic or college and we don't accept anything less than 3.0 or better GPA no excuses only results. The lower schools are not very expensive. A quality college is under 12,000 Peso a semester.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4