Supporting the Family

Brad616
Posted
Posted

This is an ongoing part of our daily lives :unsure: Big topic here, not really sure I can add much. I tried setting ground rules going in( before marriage) but once the wife got here and working ( small wage) things kinda balloned. Always her brothers and nieces,nephews via yahoo messenger. I have tried to do the " teach them to fish" method with limited success. Poor people plan and live day to day , hand to mouth , the middle class plann for years, like kids college , wealthy people plan for generations. Its hard to change their mindset, and as another poster said somehow the money always goes to something else. What worries me, years down the road retiring in metro cebu is a condo with us and a constant 17 relatives "visitors" 6yrs of this and I have gotten 1 set of 3 thank you cards from the entire family

• Like 5

retired
Posted
Posted

My Wife's brother and sister are both in the U.S. and have jobs, I loaned them some money on the stipulation that they pay me back! Guess what? It has been over a year now and they still haven't paid me back! I recently sent them both an email with my bank account and sternly told them to pay me back ASAP! Now, I just have to wait and see! I don't give out free money anymore when they have jobs!

Not all , but most Filipinos consider a loan as a gift , or at lest treat it like one so you have to treat kind of like an investment . If you can;t afford to lose it don't invest/loan it .. :-)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My Wife's brother and sister are both in the U.S. and have jobs, I loaned them some money on the stipulation that they pay me back! Guess what? It has been over a year now and they still haven't paid me back! I recently sent them both an email with my bank account and sternly told them to pay me back ASAP! Now, I just have to wait and see! I don't give out free money anymore when they have jobs!

Not all , but most Filipinos consider a loan as a gift , or at lest treat it like one so you have to treat kind of like an investment . If you can;t afford to lose it don't invest/loan it .. :-)

A little like betting , My Dad used to say, Son! if you cant afford to lose it, don' bet. They say, nothing ventured nothing gained but on this issue. nothing ventured, Nothing Lost :thumbsup: except maybe a Little face, but that's life :) .

Jack P's 5 cents :tiphat:

• Like 1