Just Riding Out My Isolated Life In The Us

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
After returning from my recent trip to the Philippines, I am back to my usual routine which basically consists of working and sleeping. Being 50 and single, I really have no connections other than a handful of work associates so my social life here in Hawaii, to say the least, is pretty dull. Now with the economy the way it is, I am grateful to have a good paying job, but overall, I would be lying if I concluded my life to be fulfilling. The holiday seasons are even more depressing here. And I bet this is typical for a lot of men in similar situations. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel for me when I will retire in another 6 years. My pension, which will be just above average for a typical US retiree, will be more than enough to start a new life there…. just like a friend of mine… My friend residing in the Philippines just got married to a young beautiful Filipina. On my recent visit, his home was always filled with wife’s family and friends who were always so nice to me. It was an eye awaking experience and I realized that is how I want to live too. It is always nice to have some hope and vision…
It is always nice to have some hope and vision…
And that's what gets us through the dark times,at least you have a lot to look forward to and plenty of planning to do. Keep the chin up and when ever you feel down;take a look at the photo memories from your visit to the Philippines. :thumbsup: Works wonders for me.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Bows00,It sounds like you have Island fever! I knew a friend of mine long ago who had just that, because he was born and raised in Pearl City, Hawaii! When he joined the military and got married in his early 20s, they left the Island and started their life anew on the mainland! Now that he's retired, they prefer living on the mainland! He's of 1/2 Filipino descent and married to an American gal, but he's an American/Hawaiian through and through!

bows00
Posted
Posted

In the US, once your youth is gone, it can be a lonely life... it's just the culture here. Sure it can be slightly different if you have family and lots of grandchildren, etc., but still, it's still isolated... I can't put my finger on it, but it was different in the philippines..

• Like 1

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
In the US, once your youth is gone, it can be a lonely life... it's just the culture here. Sure it can be slightly different if you have family and lots of grandchildren, etc., but still, it's still isolated... I can't put my finger on it, but it was different in the philippines..
You hit the nail on the head, how true Brah!! Mahalo EJ. :thumbsup:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Lonely is a state of mind. Good that you have a goal and time table. If you are 50 now and will retire in 6 years, the next time goal is age 62 when you can get SS which will increase your lifestyle in the Philippines. As for holiday time, I rather be alone with the cat. I never wanted to be a family man and I can see that if I am in Phils at Christmas time, there would be a long line of visitors and an unspoken understanding that I should give them a gift... Hey! Does Jollibee's have gift cards? hehehehehe

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Lonely is a state of mind. Good that you have a goal and time table. If you are 50 now and will retire in 6 years, the next time goal is age 62 when you can get SS which will increase your lifestyle in the Philippines. As for holiday time, I rather be alone with the cat. I never wanted to be a family man and I can see that if I am in Phils at Christmas time, there would be a long line of visitors and an unspoken understanding that I should give them a gift... Hey! Does Jollibee's have gift cards? hehehehehe
Funny that, I believe Jollibee does as you can get then from Philippine gift sites,buy in bulk Bruce. :thumbsup:

softail
Posted
Posted (edited)

You know, I used to feel the same way you are feeling now. I was in my mid 50’s, feeling all isolated, nothing happening at all. I had a good income, nice home but life was empty. I finally decided that nothing was going to happen in my life unless I made up my mind to build a life and that’s what I did. Went out and bought a Harley Davidson bike, wasn’t too long before I had a circle of friends that I went riding with, started dating, funny thing, lots of gals wanted to go riding. Before long my self esteem was better, my life started to turn around, but nothing would have happened if I hadn’t decided to take life by the horns and start build one. Lecture over :cheersty: Doug

Edited by softail
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

yeah, thanks but no thanks, i've been there too. I bought my first bike in 86 and it was all fun until I experienced my first big accident. And I count my blessings because I got away without any permanent injuries (a guy fell asleep and rear ended me at a stop light coming off the freeway). After that, I swore off biking, especially in Hawaii where traffic just sucks to begin with. The only thing left for me here in Hawaii are my immediate family and the perfect weather year round. Other than that, nothing much else here. It's even too crowded to catch some waves, most of my surfiing injuries were a result of crashing into other surfers. I even gave up surfing 15 years ago... So currently, I am mostly consumed with thoughts of just working hard, saving, and investing so I can retire in luxury within 6 years in the philippines. As long as you have a vision, an end in mind, and a plan, it will happen... bows

bows00
Posted
Posted
Lonely is a state of mind. Good that you have a goal and time table. If you are 50 now and will retire in 6 years, the next time goal is age 62 when you can get SS which will increase your lifestyle in the Philippines.
yeah, SS would be nice, but just a bonus for me. I am not counting on it. I have heard too many negative things about it and it is not within my control to do anything about. It would be a bummer if my plan relied on SS and the Feds decided to cut me off...