Just Riding Out My Isolated Life In The Us

bows00
Posted
Posted
As for holiday time, I rather be alone with the cat. I never wanted to be a family man and I can see that if I am in Phils at Christmas time, there would be a long line of visitors and an unspoken understanding that I should give them a gift... Hey! Does Jollibee's have gift cards? hehehehehe
Funny that, I believe Jollibee does as you can get then from Philippine gift sites,buy in bulk Bruce. :cheersty:
yeah I hear you there. And there are negatives that will follow. I haven't experienced Chirstmas in the phlippines yet, but I can imagine it to be so festive and warm, because the families there are so tight there, and because most families have that strong catholic background. And yes, I hope I will finacially be able to buy my immediate family members decent gifts. That I don't mind, because I am good at staying within my alloted budget. And yes, I do enjoy my christmas here - I have a cat too! But I prefer bigger families during holidays... the few filipino's that I had the privilge of spending time with were very respectful... maybe I was just lucky, but I liked it... and I miss it...
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
In the US, once your youth is gone, it can be a lonely life... it's just the culture here. Sure it can be slightly different if you have family and lots of grandchildren, etc., but still, it's still isolated... I can't put my finger on it, but it was different in the philippines..
Perhaps I can put my finger on it. When you go for a walk in the US, how many strangers smile at you or say hello? If you do the same thing in the Philippines what would the result be? I already know the answer and its not about being lonely. Its feeling that you've been put out to pasture already. You really don't want to invite all those strangers home to dinner (to avoid loneliness perhaps) but it would be nice to be acknowledged as a fellow human being. The next step, if you are not there yet, is all the younger people at work giving you the respectful smile and asking if you are ready for retirement yet. Thinking only of your well being of course. Yeah right. They want you out the door so they can move up a notch. Just put up with it for a while longer and then start your new life in the Philippines. Just be sure to stay healthy as that will be your most important asset here.
  • Like 3