Clean City To Live?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
About 90 min south by car, on the east coast.
It looks nice there, congratulations Mike. Have you gone down to Alcoy yet? The air can be very polluted in and around Metro Cebu City unless you are in the hills above the city. Some of the Barangays are cleaner than others but frankly overall the place is a mess. Edited by Old55

MikeB
Posted
Posted
About 90 min south by car, on the east coast.
It looks nice there, congratulations Mike. Have you gone down to Alcoy yet? The air can be very polluted in and around Metro Cebu City unless you are in the hills above the city. Some of the Barangays are cleaner than others but frankly overall the place is a mess.
Haven't been south of Argao. We just rented a driver for the day, drove to Carcar and started looking and kept going south. The further away from the city, the better it got. North is good too, that was the next option.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

What is at Argao,I mean is there a supermarket ? Have you checked on the electric supply as in frequent brown outs and what about internet.I only ask as clean air might be good but there could be other sacrifices to get it. I have not been south of the city ;only to the north so are interested to know about that end of the island.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
What is at Argao,I mean is there a supermarket ? Have you checked on the electric supply as in frequent brown outs and what about internet.I only ask as clean air might be good but there could be other sacrifices to get it. I have not been south of the city ;only to the north so are interested to know about that end of the island.
Have not checked on brown outs but after 5 months of no brown outs in Cebu City, I have had 3 the past month that lasted 45 min to 2 or 3 hours. There is a large PLDT office there and the owner is checking out getting internet connectivity to the house, there hasn't been as of yet. Good points. Cable TV is available and seems to be same as what I have now with SkyCable.There is a supermarket but I only saw it from the outside. There are numerous stores, market stalls, and quite a few restaurants, all appeared to be Filipino, no fast food that I saw, may have missed a Jollibee, not sure. A number of pharmacies.More importantly, what are the health care facilities? There is a hospital but the nearest full service (or whatever the word) is in Naga, quite a ways north. That's a branch of Cebu Doctor's Hospital. Need to find out if the local hospital is accredited with my insurance carrier and do they accept a credit card in case of emergency. Also need to find a good doctor as well. These are important things that are often overlooked.There is no mall but CarCar has a Gaisano, no comparison to Ayala or SM though. I talked to a few people who said they go to Cebu City once a month for shopping. If I never saw Ayala Mall again it would be ok with me. When I was younger I loved the city, not anymore. So no, I haven't done all my homework but I have not yet signed a lease and will do so prior. I was introduced to several expats and locals of all ages by the building owner who were walking around the town plaza and they all said they were very happy living there.

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Have not checked on brown outs but after 5 months of no brown outs in Cebu City, I have had 3 the past month that lasted 45 min to 2 or 3 hours. There is a large PLDT office there and the owner is checking out getting internet connectivity to the house, there hasn't been as of yet. Good points. Cable TV is available and seems to be same as what I have now with SkyCable.There is a supermarket but I only saw it from the outside. There are numerous stores, market stalls, and quite a few restaurants, all appeared to be Filipino, no fast food that I saw, may have missed a Jollibee, not sure. A number of pharmacies.More importantly, what are the health care facilities? There is a hospital but the nearest full service (or whatever the word) is in Naga, quite a ways north. That's a branch of Cebu Doctor's Hospital. Need to find out if the local hospital is accredited with my insurance carrier and do they accept a credit card in case of emergency. Also need to find a good doctor as well. These are important things that are often overlooked.There is no mall but CarCar has a Gaisano, no comparison to Ayala or SM though. I talked to a few people who said they go to Cebu City once a month for shopping. If I never saw Ayala Mall again it would be ok with me. When I was younger I loved the city, not anymore. So no, I haven't done all my homework but I have not yet signed a lease and will do so prior. I was introduced to several expats and locals of all ages by the building owner who were walking around the town plaza and they all said they were very happy living there.
Good on ya Mike! Personally i think you're on the right track. I also like the south areas of Cebu. Argao and Dalaguette are just fine.We actually once looked at buying a lot at Kasay, which is the little town where the beach club is. It's about halfway between Argao and Dalaguette and it actually DOES have a nice clean white sand beach! I've always been a country boy so being away from the big cities is not an issue with me at all.But hey, it's not like you're at the end of the earth either, you can make a day trip to SM or Ayala once a month or whenever you feel like it and get your "city fix", then you get back in your car and head back to the nice peaceful and clean country environment.Surely, that's gotta be better living! Best of luck mate. :cheers:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thanks Bundy, no place is perfect and there's always a trade-off, you lose convenience for cleaner air. I don't know how it will go but if it doesn't work out there's plenty more places and islands so I'll keep looking.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

For us, we like the modern western style suburban living and we found the perfect place! We've lived here going on 13 years now! http://www.google.co...iw=1399&bih=794 We've previously lived in the province of Zambales, Northern Central Luzon, we found it dark and spooky! A lot of nice people around (NPA), always asking for donations to their cause or remit to their revolutionary tax! :horse: No thanks! So, we moved out of there pronto!

• Like 1

gapotwo
Posted
Posted (edited)
For us, we like the modern western style suburban living and we found the perfect place! We've lived here going on 13 years now! http://www.google.co...iw=1399&bih=794 We've previously lived in the province of Zambales, Northern Central Luzon, we found it dark and spooky! A lot of nice people around (NPA), always asking for donations to their cause or remit to their revolutionary tax! :89: No thanks! So, we moved out of there pronto!
Thats one reason i like Olongapo, and N/C Luzon. The challenges of life in the wild wild east. the right connections in and out of government and big bullet proof house and they stay away , and even protect your family from other hidden threats. keeps the adrinaline flowing and the blood warm, Ya gotta leave that western ways of life in the west if we really want to live the pinoy way of life. At least thats what i want, others will be different. Life is what you make it. tanks EJ. :horse: opps off topic again. :morning1: Edited by gapotwo
  • Like 1