Got Ripped For $10K Usd But Its My Fault For Being Stupid

dean01
Posted
Posted
Wow I am suprised you would walk around with $10k that is a wad of cash it would have made a huge bulge in your pants.Where did you store the rest of the cash? and how did you go telling customs you had so much cash comming into the country ?
You are allowed to bring $10k into the country without declaring it to the customs.
He said he had $35k in cash

brock
Posted
Posted

You`re quite right, My mistake.

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I will have pockets sewn on the inside of all my shorts and pants when I get there. They will have zippers on them. That's where my real money will be kept.

• Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

An acquaintance had a heavy snap added to one pocket of his slacks/jeans. Since he frequented the public markets, rode jeepneys, and so forth, it made it much harder to get to his wallet and money. Even adding velcro to one pocket can help prevent pickpockets and snatchers from getting easy access.

• 2 weeks later...
Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Sorry about your money loss. I am certain the lesson is not wasted here.Not saying I would do this or KNOW anyone who might. There...I'v covered myself. LoL. Any beat Cop can explain to you " devices " street hustling drug dealers use to line their pockets. ( Needles, razor blades /sharp metal or glass ) As long as YOU know how it is stacked...you should not poke yourself. As for other unauthorized hands...Oh well. At least there will be forensic evidence after an attempt. ; )

• 2 weeks later...
wingmanPI
Posted
Posted
I'm sorry you got robbed. I'm kinda paranoid about getting my pocket picked.So what I did is I ordered me a magnetic stripe reader/writer.If my credit card or US bank card gets stolen, it could take weeks or a month to get a replacement card sent here to the Philippines. I found that out when my bank accidentally marked one of my cards as stolen and they wanted to send the replacement via regular mail. That can take a month or two if it ever shows up. I had to beg them to send the card Fed Ex and even then it still took a week to get it, because of their processing time.Now, I have cloned all my bank cards. I only carry blank white cards on me. Nobody knows what it is. It looks like a hotel room key. If it gets stolen, there is no credit card number on there for them to order things online, or whatever people do with credit card numbers.I keep my real credit cards locked in my safe. I use the plain white cards to take money out of the ATM. If someone steals it, no big deal, I just print another one. I don't even have to bother with cancelling the card because the thief has no clue what it is. Unless they also have a card reader and they ain't that cheap. Mine cost me a couple hundred bucks and I had to pay shipping.If anyone wants to clone thier cards, just message me and I'll do it for you. For a small fee cause the blank cards aren't free and the equipment cost me money. You can watch me do it, I will not store your information and it will be erased when I copy your card. There's people on here that can vouch for me. Not to mention if you start getting wierd charges on your credit card I'm real easy to track down cause you got to come to my house to do it.Anyway, I feel a lot safer now that I did it for my cards. And if one ever gets demagnitized it's no problem. Only thing is you can only use it in a bank machine or a transaction where you don't have to hand the card to a real person.
brilliant idea!! where are you located??

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have a small cloth bag which a pair of sunglasses came in. If I carry more than 1000p I carry it in there. I put the string around the button on my shorts and place it inside of them it cannot be seen. I also have to be careful where I start to fumble to get it out as I worry about being arrested.I have never been robbed here personally but have had a chain snatched in the Uk august 2010 broad daylight on a crowded street . Crime is not just in the phills but everywhere so you have to be careful where ever you are.Kevin

• Like 5

yosho
Posted
Posted

These things happen to the best of us, so don't beat yourself up too much about it. I got scammed once in China and had my camera stolen out of my pocket whilst riding a crowded jeep in Manila once too - and I'm ridiculously anal about my personal security - I wore a money belt and was constantly checking my pockets / on the alert for scams while in Asia, yet I still fell victim to it twice in a year and a half of living/travelling there. There's basically only so much you can do, then you just have to hope for the best and not get too angry at life when you trip up every now and again (Just be happy your money is all they stole, and not your life!)Cheers,J

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've been lucky in life... Been around the world a couple times and the only time I can remember ever having my pockets emptied out was in Boston, Mass - after having a brick meet the back of my head... They only got my wallet and not my money - it was folded up and in the watch pocket in my jeans...By the way, Boston is still one of my favorite American cities! It's just not Cebu...

• Like 1