Got Ripped For $10K Usd But Its My Fault For Being Stupid

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
I've been lucky in life... Been around the world a couple times and the only time I can remember ever having my pockets emptied out was in Boston, Mass - after having a brick meet the back of my head... They only got my wallet and not my money - it was folded up and in the watch pocket in my jeans...By the way, Boston is still one of my favorite American cities! It's just not Cebu...
I'm from Mass Bob. I have to tell you, you were lucky you got away with your life. Many punks in Boston play for keeps.
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I've been lucky in life... Been around the world a couple times and the only time I can remember ever having my pockets emptied out was in Boston, Mass - after having a brick meet the back of my head... They only got my wallet and not my money - it was folded up and in the watch pocket in my jeans...By the way, Boston is still one of my favorite American cities! It's just not Cebu...
I'm from Mass Bob. I have to tell you, you were lucky you got away with your life. Many punks in Boston play for keeps.
Used to go there a lot back in the 80s when the combat zone was still quite large... Of course that was my Air Force days and our yachting with the navy again... We would tie up at the Coast Guard station and then spend most our time downtown. When I got the brick headache it was actually my one and only time slipping over to Cambridge to try out the malls.

• 2 weeks later...
Will
Posted
Posted

I am sorry about your incident but thank you for sharing. Ive always considered myself a streetwise guy, however I havent heard of that exact style of robbery. I will definately be aware once we make it over to PI.Im sure you all have heard my strategy against pickpockets and I was able to freely walk through London's Picadilly Circus during some crowded nights and still retain my wallet. All I did was switch from hip pocket to front pocket and put a few rubber bands around the wallet.Also, regarding the cloned credit cards... Do the white cards have visible magnetic strips on the back? I really like your idea of doing that. Brilliant! :cheersty:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
All I did was switch from hip pocket to front pocket and put a few rubber bands around the wallet.
I've used that tip on the rubber bands but I have had a hard time finding the thick ones here. Only the cheap ones. If you attach a small comb as well it is almost impossible to get out undetected. I always carry the wallet in the right front pocket.
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I always carry the wallet in the right front pocket.
If you are right handed, this works better if you keep your wallet in your left front pocket... The reasoning is that a right handed person will move their right hand around more and thus expose the pocket frequently while their left hand will remain by their side - and by the left pocket. Obviously the opposite is true for anyone left handed.Me? I always do it on the wrong side too! :hystery:

• 1 month later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

althou he didnt lose 10k us, he was still out of pocket 20,000php($460 us)

just shows that we must remain on alert in high traffic areas

An American tourist lost P20,000 cash to a pickpocket at a Light Rail Transit station in Manila on Thursday afternoon, the police said.

David Thomas Whitmore, 47, of North Carolina, immediately reported the theft to the Manila Police District General Assignment Section (MPD-GAS),

claiming that the thief most likely preyed on him while he was at the LRT Line 1 United Nations Avenue station in Ermita.

Police Officer 3 Jayjay Jacob, case investigator, said the incident happened at around 3 p.m. Thursday while Whitmore was waiting at the station platform for a Baclaran-bound train, on his way back to his hotel in Pasay City.

Jacob pointed out that the pickpocket, based on the complaint, took the tourist’s wallet containing P20,000 cash as well as several credit and identification cards.

Although Whitmore was not able to see who could have picked his pocket, operatives of the MPD-GAS are conducting follow-up operations for the assailant’s arrest as well as the possible recovery of the stolen items.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/36593/american-tourist-waiting-for-train-loses-p20000-to-pickpocket

• 1 month later...
Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

I've a feeling my reply isn't going to be well received here.

He brought in too much money, $35k when the limit is only $10k. Was it declared?, if not he broke the law of the land and can't really complain when others broke the law. Would he have carried the full $10k if that was all he had?. A fool and his money are easily parted, harsh but true.

• 3 weeks later...
shiredevon
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately as a foreigner we stand out so they will follow you until they get a chance, especially in places like divisoria, i always give my wallet etc to my wife who carry's it in a shoulder bag, also if you travel on the LRT be careful as you'll suddenly find it crowded then your wallets gone, i've had loads of attempts on the LRT, so my wife travels in the front ladies carriages with the valuables.