Executed Filipino Drug Smuggler A Victim?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have a deep love for Philippines and the Filipino people but sometimes the culture there drives me nuts. The inability to take responsibility for ones actions comes to mind in this case.The fourth and latest Filipino drug smuggler executed in China this year has stirred up “we are victims” controversy again. Do the average Filipino lack understanding there are consequences for bad behavior? Why when a Filipino makes bad choices, gets caught will then become a victim? What do you all think?Sun Star“The Bureau of Immigration has taken steps to ensure that those who are leaving as overseas contract workers are certified to be leaving as such and not just as tourists, and also some other measures are being taken. Publicly, we have made several announcements and pleas to the public not to allow themselves to be used as drug mules,” Presidential spokesman Edwin LacierdaFreeman“The lesson we learned is we have to be vigilant against drug syndicates and that we have to ensure that we will not be fooled by international drug syndicates. We should always be aware and very much conscious of our safety because there are people who might choose us to carry the drugs for them to other countries,” Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Raul Hernandez

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The drug smuggler decided it was a good idea to accept money and carry 1 ½ kilos of heroin into one of the most guarded police states in the world today. No one “chose him” no one forced him no one “used him”, get real don’t do the crime if you’re not willing to do the time. Maybe I’m too harsh but what the heck did he and the others NOT understand?

• Like 2

kenn
Posted
Posted

I lived and worked in China for over 3 years. Every time I would travel back to China and go through customs, the Chinese would grab most darker colored skin people to the side and search their luggage. My wife was stopped most of the time when she traveled without me. I remember one time when we were traveling together, they stopped her until they realized we were together. Myself was never stopped when I traveled. I guess that I did not fit the racial profile they have established in China.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The drug smuggler decided it was a good idea to accept money and carry 1 ½ kilos of heroin into one of the most guarded police states in the world today. No one “chose him” no one forced him no one “used him”, get real don’t do the crime if you’re not willing to do the time. Maybe I’m too harsh but what the heck did he and the others NOT understand?
I have no sympathy for drug dealers or carrier's or anyone in that regard but my bet is that if one puts himself into the shoes of a poor person or someone with little hope in life then the stars shine bright if someone says, here is a job just carry this and we pay you lots,think of how much rice you can buy for that.The questions is as old55 says,should they understand the consequences or is desperate thinking the problem? your kids are hungry, your sister needs a double heart bypass,the sari sari store is after you for last years rice bill so you take a risk or it could be none of the above fits you but a better life ahead just by carrying this package.
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
I have a deep love for Philippines and the Filipino people but sometimes the culture there drives me nuts. The inability to take responsibility for ones actions comes to mind in this case.The fourth and latest Filipino drug smuggler executed in China this year has stirred up “we are victims” controversy again.Do the average Filipino lack understanding there are consequences for bad behavior? Why when a Filipino makes bad choices, gets caught will then become a victim?What do you all think?Sun Star“The Bureau of Immigration has taken steps to ensure that those who are leaving as overseas contract workers are certified to be leaving as such and not just as tourists, and also some other measures are being taken. Publicly, we have made several announcements and pleas to the public not to allow themselves to be used as drug mules,” Presidential spokesman Edwin LacierdaFreeman“The lesson we learned is we have to be vigilant against drug syndicates and that we have to ensure that we will not be fooled by international drug syndicates. We should always be aware and very much conscious of our safety because there are people who might choose us to carry the drugs for them to other countries,” Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Raul Hernandez
Strict zero tolerance with no possibilities of bribing airport officials is the order of the day. I don't blameChina for racially profiling the Filipinos. Illegal recruitment and false travel documents are still comingout from the Philippines. The ones that do travel should be made more aware of becoming a potentialdrug mule. Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I think it just shows the desperation that some in the Philippines feel to get money for their families. Maybe if so many families did not always have their hands out, and the children did not feel the burden on their shoulders to fill those outreached hands, possibly things might change. IMO this guy had to feel very desperate for money to go into a country where possession of drugs means death, yet he did it anyway.Some of my wife's family are farmers and therefore might be considered the poor of the poor, yet as far as I know, none have ever resorted to being bargirls or carrying drugs, yet many go off to be housekeepers or work in stores and one I believe became a GRO at a hotel, which may be :hystery: basically the same thing. :lmao: The point I am trying to make is that my wife is one of 13 children in her family and each of her brothers and sisters has roughly as many kids as their parents had, and now many of the kids have had many children, so there is literally hundreds in her family and most feel the need to help support their parents but thankfully most without stooping to illegal or illicit work, yet some families demand more and more, thus IMO driving their kids to crime. Change the entitlement attitude and IMO most of this type of stuff would disappear.

• Like 3

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was hanging out with some Iranians in Bangkok years back. They told me they had fake passports from Holland and other places because most countries won't do legitimate business with them because of the government. They then asked if I could help them get to Japan. All I had to do is call on the phone ahead for them and book their hotels in Japan, book the tickets for them at the travel agency as well, and then fly over with them and they'd pay me on the plane. I could even go through customs first in case they had any problems. Sounded nice, a free trip to Japan and a bit of money to boot. He, he, he... I had just read a book by an Auzzie who spent 11 years in a Bangkok prison, so I was not rolling those dice any time soon. Oh yeah... One of them was bleeding fresh from a street fight with other Iranians in town.Read another news story of South Koreans caught smuggling heroin out of Malaysia in the soles of their shoes. They said some Nepalese men had convinced them to sneak out microchips in the soles of their shoes as part of some industrial espionage scheme. They thought they were JUST stealing company secrets! lol...

Edited by ekimswish
  • Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Profiling is a wonderful tool. As the TSA in America is now finding out that the public is tired of grandma being harassed. Sure there is a 'possibility' grandma has a bomb, but not much of a 'probability'. If profiling was not illegal in the US, there would be a lot better focused arrests and less issues.While many do not like it and try to divert attention away from the subject.. EVERY stereotype on the face of the planet is based on 'some' truth'. Sure they are blown out of proportion, but with out that basis of truth, there would be no 'stereotype'. Also here in Florida, it is not uncommon for drug smugglers to pay some woman in South America $10,000 to bring in drugs, then call in a tip on her so that when customs makes the arrest, everybody is focused on that while the real smugglers are bringing in their larger load farther back in the line. If the actual smugglers are playing this trick, those mules were done before they even left Phils.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

El capitan Tom.... good point! I never thought about the fact some Filipinos would knowingly take a huge risk taking money "up front" knowing if they were caught their family members would have enough to live well for years. Self sacrifice is also common in Filipino culture.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Lee you and I think alike :hystery: , it comes down to choices and character.